Help with my horn problem - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 09, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
JDCAST

Unhappy Help with my horn problem

My horn doesnt work on my 69 camaro. I put a test light on the wire that goes to the horn and no light. I put the test lite at the horn relay and it lites. So i replaced the horn relay and now when i toot the horn it just clicks at the horn relay but no horn. Any suggestions? I still get no test lite at the wire that connects to the horn. Im stumped.

Thanks --john
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 09, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Help with my horn problem

Horn(s) could be stuck. Try another horn to the green wire, any brand/type or test light to the green horn wire.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 09, 04:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

rap on the horns to free up the crud inside!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 09, 05:47 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcastig View Post
I put a test light on the wire that goes to the horn and no light. I put the test lite at the horn relay and it lites. So i replaced the horn relay and now when i toot the horn it just clicks at the horn relay but no horn. Any suggestions? I still get no test lite at the wire that connects to the horn. Im stumped.

Thanks --john
If you get no test light at the wire that connects to the horn and the relay is clicking then this wire is not getting power or the relay is not sending power out. Just because you have a new relay doesn't mean it's good.

I would double check to make sure the test light is grounded by touching the end that you used to touch at the wire at the horn to a known good power source. I've been caught before thinking I had my test light grounded only to be fooled.

Can you test right at the output terminal on the relay to see if there is power coming out when the horn button is depressed (and the relay kicks on) ?. I've seen crimped terminals on wires go bad too and it might be the terminal on the wire at the relay or at the horn end.

If all else fails, disconnect the wire from the horn and run a jumper from the horn terminal directly to the battery. If the horn is good, it should sound. If not, loosen the mounting bolt slightly to allow the horn to be wiggled and have it dig into fresh metal, and then retighten the bolt. If it then sounds with the jumper wire then try reconnecting the original green wire to it and see what happens.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 10, 08:59 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

I had to squirt WD-40 into mine as suggested to loosen up the horns, one worked again, the other does not and will need replacing ...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 10, 11:39 AM
Senior Tech

As several others have mentioned, horns do rust and sieze up. But if you're not getting the test lamp to light up when connected to the horn wire, you have a wiring issue or a bad horn relay (even though the relay is new). The wire from the relay to the horn assembly is pretty short so you should be able to inspect it easily enough, do a continuity check and determine the cause.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode