Brighter Tail Lights Needed - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 09, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Brighter Tail Lights Needed

I have a 69 Camaro with the std rear tail lights. I would like to have brighter tail and brake lights. What do you recommend? With said recommendation, where would you purchase it from?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 09, 08:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bri

Re: Brighter Tail Lights Needed

Brighter tail lights

A Bit $$$$$ if ya ask me

"Three Rules of Work: Out of clutter find simplicity; From discord find harmony; In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity."

Albert Einstein

"Never Forget" FDNY 9/11/01

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have more than 4 Camaro's am I Addicted?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 09, 09:03 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

An alternative ?:
http://www.rickscamaros.com/product....dept%5Fid=3302

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 09, 10:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
jim

Try these http://musclerodzstore.com/index.asp...WPROD&ProdID=5

Just ordered a set for my 67, Musclerodz is a sponsor here and i believe they are offering 10% off to TC members until the 31st.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 09, 04:47 AM
Kevin

I would try the simple things first. Take the taillight housings out and separate the lenses. Clean and paint the inside of the housings with the chrome paint spray bomb and clean and polish the lens with plastic polish. If the lenses are dull and the inside housing are dull, the lights are weakend.

Kevin

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 09, 05:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

After doing what Kevin suggested you could put LED lamps in the stock sockets and housings. I have considered doing this myself, but not yet. http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...=/festoon.html

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 09, 05:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

The low-buck approach is to use 2357 bulbs in place of 1157 and clean and repaint the tailight housings as suggested above. I did this and while no where near as bright as modern LED options, it's a significant improvement.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 09, 06:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Lightbulb Re: Brighter Tail Lights Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
I would try the simple things first. Take the taillight housings out and separate the lenses. Clean and paint the inside of the housings with the chrome paint spray bomb and clean and polish the lens with plastic polish. If the lenses are dull and the inside housing are dull, the lights are weakend.
I've had great results with this aluminum foil tape. It's used on a/c ducts. I have it inside the tail lamp housings, as well as in the front turn signals.

"Our affair with Camaros is a life sentence without the possibility of parole".
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 09, 09:08 AM
Senior Tech

I agree with Kevin - try the simple things first.

Use the voltage drop method of verifying the connections. Theoretically measurements between two power points or two ground points would show 0.00V. In reality, some small voltage drop will exist (less than 0.05V give or take), but larger voltage drops indicate a problem. Here is how it's done.

Get a digital volt meter and a length of wire. An electrical extension cord will work in a pinch. A jumper cable works also. I have a 10' length of 12ga copper wire with aligator clips on each end that I use. Some engineering may be required to make the connection if you don't have alligator clips or a jumper cable. Just be safe and don't allow the battery (+) to touch ground.

Connect the wire to the battery (+) connection. Connect the other end of the wire to one lead of your volt meter. Connect the other volt meter probe to the power wire of the lamp your testing. Activate the tail lamps (all these tests require activating the circuit to measure the voltage drops) and read the meter voltage. You should see a very small reading (less than 0.05V). If you see more than that you have a bad connection somewhere.

If you discover you're loosing voltage in the power circuit, repeat the test at other places in the circuit. For example, measure between the battery (+) and the brake light switch, or marker lamp switch to isolate the front portion of the harness. You can also measure, for example, between the lamp power wire in the rear and the lamp switch to isolate the rear portion of the harness. A switch can be checked by meausring the voltage drop accross the switch itself - bad connections will show voltage on the meter and good connections will show nearly zero volts.

Beware that some of the rear lamp circuits interconnect with the turn signal switch in the steering column, so be sure to isloate / check voltage drops there as well. Just remember the readings only have value when the circuit is powered up and functioning (or attempting to function). This may mean you need a helper to push the brake pedal when checking the brake lamps.

And finally, (and just as important) the grounds can be verified by the same method by measuring between the battery (-) and the lamp ground in the trunk. Checking between the battery (-) and the fender is a good way to verify the body ground pig-tail. Again, look for small readings for a good ground - higher readings indicate a bad connection. When verifying a ground connection point, be sure to check the terminal end, screw and body separately. Lots of bad connections exist at those connection points where rust and oxidation accumulate between the screw and terminal end.

Once you're sure you don't have any major electrical system problems, and if you're still not happy with the lamp brightness, move on to the upgrades. Just about every 1st gen on the road has lots of sub-par connections that need a little sandpaper and dielectric grease to restore them to original working order.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 09, 09:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
X2 and it works.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 09, 10:01 AM
Senior Tech
dan

Superbrite LED makes I plug and play lite that fits right into where your 1157 would go. It's a BA-15 1157 RLK3.They are aroung 13 dollars and you must get red. not white. Only get the white for the reverse lights 1156.. Now that being said. I got a pair for my 64 vette. Unfortunately they seem to be made backwards in polarity. When I turn on the lights (like the parking lights) They go on HI and when I brake, they dim. The old incandescents work fine. I'm sure it's a MANU error and they are not there for the holidays to ask. so hold of a little and pm me. I'll get back to you on this. THey are superbright though...I have the other kind of LEDS in the camaro now. Not all that great, plus you have to cut off all the old sockets to use them or have a mish mosh of wires connectors. PM me..Dan

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...rake-turn.html

They are the BA15 1157 R (red)LK3 series (red for red lens.)
Oh almost forgot. if you do the fronts you WILL need to change the flasher unit. I just left my fronts alone and they work fine., Except the polarity of course.

Dan

1969 SS 383 Stroker , TKO 600, 3:73
1964 vette conv. 327/ 300 freshly ,completely repainted. I mean everything!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 09, 07:07 PM
Senior Tech
JAY

I haven't used "superbrights" yet but the led bulbs you buy won't work
in Camaro taillights. I Bought 2 sets, put 1 set in old bronco..worked good. but the Camaro bulbs come in front the buttom of light so bulbs are shining thru top not out thru lenses. so they were dimmer I do have #194's in side marker lights and they are brighter. Jay
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 09, 08:21 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
I haven't used "superbrights" yet but the led bulbs you buy won't work
in Camaro taillights.
Hmm reading thru posts was waiting for one to mention this
Individual LED blubs are directional...hence why they are so bright looking straight at them....And 69 rear tail light holders fit underneath, vertically into the rear casing.
Idealy you need a bank of them that fit inside the tail lights and face rearwards...which would not be hard to do or make.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 09, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all-

I did what Kevin suggested. It helped, but still is a bit lacking.

I hear what you are saying Dnult. That was the first thing I checked/replaced was the lacking electrical components.

I will give that superbright a try.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 09, 10:06 PM
Senior Tech
Ted

If you are not into original wiring. Check out MAD electrical and talk to Mark. By changing some of the old wiring and using the kits he provides. Takes some of the load off of the system, thus givin you brighter headlights, taillights, dash lights etc. I used his New System and the difference was between night and day. Then and your LED's and such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode