Dash Gas to Tic Toc Tach? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 10, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Jaiden

Dash Gas to Tic Toc Tach?

I would like to conver the big in dash gas gauge in my 68 to a tic toc tach and move the gas to the console with the oil temp and batt ... What does this involve?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 10, 09:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rod

Re: Dash Gas to Tic Toc Tach?

on the dash its a new circuit board and of course the tic toc Tach, do you have a console?

Rodney

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 10, 09:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tory

Contact American Autowire, one of our sponsors.
You will need a new Dash Harness, Front Light Harness, Engine Harness and Console Harness. You will need a new sending unit for the Temperature Gauge. You will replace the Oil Sending Unit with a Brass Fitting and an Oil Line that runs to the back of the Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge. Of course, you will need the gauges and low fuel sending unit that mounts with the console gauges. You will also need a Tach with a new Printed Circuit Board. On the Speedometer side, the Emergency Brake and Generator Light bezel will need to be replaced with Emergency Brake and Low Fuel.
Hope this helps.

http://www.americanautowire.com/

Tory
1968 Camaro Coupe
1964 Malibu SS Unrestored 36,000 Mile Survivor
1964 Malibu SS Hardtop
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1968 Malibu L-79, 1 of 4082 ~ SOLD
1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Unrestored 15,000 Mile Survivor
1955 Chevrolet Nomad
1984 Hurst Olds with Factory Sunroof, 1 of 99 ~ SOLD
1992 Camaro 396 LS, 4L60, 9" Posi w /3.50:1 Gear Set

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 10, 10:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rod

????? you dont need to change all that ???? to add a tic toc tach?? and center console gauges I do this conversion at the shop often
ON THE CONSOLE
1) center console gauge pack
2) console harness
3) console gauge conversion harness
4) oil pressure line and block fitting
5) temp sending unit appropriate for you car
ON THE DASH
1) circuit board
2) tic toc gauge

Rodney

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 10, 11:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tory

You can use the Console Gauge Conversion Harness with the Original 41 year old Dash Harness, but why bother with something that old. You can contact American Autowire and have them convert your original harness to a Tach and Console Gauge Harness.
All of the wires are replaced and the only item reused off of the old harness is the Fuse Box.

Tory
1968 Camaro Coupe
1964 Malibu SS Unrestored 36,000 Mile Survivor
1964 Malibu SS Hardtop
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1968 Malibu L-79, 1 of 4082 ~ SOLD
1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Unrestored 15,000 Mile Survivor
1955 Chevrolet Nomad
1984 Hurst Olds with Factory Sunroof, 1 of 99 ~ SOLD
1992 Camaro 396 LS, 4L60, 9" Posi w /3.50:1 Gear Set
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 10, 11:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Are you using the factory style console gauges?
Autometer sells a panel that fits in the front of the console and mounts standard round aftermarket gauges. I used those and did a lil rewiring to put the tic toc tach in my 68.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 10, 11:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Daryl

Garage

If you want originality, do it like Camaros-n-Chevelles (this is the way I did it)
If you don't care about originality, do it like crazyshopmonkey

JMHO
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 10, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Jaiden

yes i have the factory gauges for the 68 ( silver 120Mph) and i do have the console.... i am considering putting in a different speedo that would have a higher range on it... how would that work? and what could i find to match it for the speedo... do they make the 140 black one with just the tach for 68? i dont like the look of them so much other options?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 10, 04:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rod

that's the best thing about camaros! so many options

Rodney

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 10, 05:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

68 gauges are silver. Only 68's used the tic toc tach, with the clock in the middle.
67's used dark faced gauges, they fit in a 68 dash, but no tic toc tach in 67.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 10, 09:52 PM
Tech Team
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68jjf View Post
I would like to convert the big in dash gas gauge in my 68 to a tic toc tach and move the gas to the console with the oil temp and batt ... What does this involve?
Hey there. I just finished doing the build on my '68 (like *this evening*) so this is all fresh in my mind. My car was a stock L6, so I had to do a complete conversion. Here is what you need:
  • Tic-toc-Tach (duh)
  • Gauge Package (duh again)
  • Underdash harness for the console gauge option (explained more below)
  • Engine harness (more below)
  • Circuit board for the tic-toc-tach option
  • An extra jumper wire to power the clock

I'm not completely sure what you have right now, but based on your message it sounds like you have the console gauges right now, but are only running a few of them. But onto the wiring...

First, besides the loom that runs to the console gauges, the underdash harness needs to have the signal wire running from the coil to trigger the Tach at all. Your stock underdash harness probably doesn't have this (my old one didn't). But even if yours does, your engine side harness probably won't have it either. You can check for sure by seeing if you have a brown wire also attached to the coil. If you don't, I can explain how I did mine if you like.

Second, the clock is powered by a separate 12V feed that isn't tied into the rest of the dash gauge harness. For that, I ran a single 14G wire from the "BAT" terminal on the fuse box to the clock's 12V terminal on the back of the tic-toc-tach assembly.

Any questions, just ask.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 10, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Jaiden

thanks guys i just copy paste and printed this whole page... if i have any more questions i'll bring it up later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode