? About AAW wiring harness replacement - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 10, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dario

? About AAW wiring harness replacement

I'm thinking of rewiring my 67 RS and am leaning towards the AAW Classic Update wiring kit. I would stay with the Factory Fit system but it's way outside my price range. Plus I like the idea of being able to use the new fuses and having the posibility of upgrading to more electric systems in the future. I have searched the forums but still have some questions. Can someone help me with this?

1- Does it use the factory looking firewall plugs or something different?

2- The reason I ask #1 is because I have an RS with the electric hideaway headlights. Does this kit include the wiring for that too or is that something else that needs to be bought?

3- Can the original style RS headlight wiring be hooked up to it or are there many modifications? Plus how will I know how to hook it up? DO they explain how?

4- Painless offers a nice looking RS headlight harness with new style relays... is it a bad idea to intermix that with the AAW?

5- The AAW kit says it comes with a conversion for a newer (non-serpentine) style alternator. I have an externally regulated alternator currently. Does that mean I'll need to buy a new alternator too?

I would really appreciate everyones help on this. I don't want to end up with Franken-maro with pieces from here and pieces from there.

Vendors

Please feel free to PM me with quotes if you think you can help me figure these things out. I'm actively shopping for this wiring harness as of now. If it doesn't work out then I'll be going with the Factory Fit since my car is set up primarily in a stock configuration. So if you're going to quote me for the above system... please also include the Factory Fit harnesses for RS hideaway headlights, Engine compartment, factory A/C and underdash harnesses for stock 327 with no HEI and powerglide auto trans on the floor console.

Thanks

67 RS Camaro
Originally: Stock 327/210 w/AC, 2 Speed Powerglide & Deluxe Interior
Now: Hotchkis SB TVS, Cross-Drilled/Slotted Disc Brake Conversion, 327/330, Headers w/ Pypes Dual Street Pros & more to come.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 10, 12:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rod

Re: ? About AAW wiring harness replacement

yes the Firewall block on the engine compartment side looks factory the block under the dash side doesn't, but it does fit in the factory hole, I talked to Donny at factory fit before about this same thing and the 1967 RS car requires an additional harness kit #500773 about 150 bucks the AAW kit looks like it cost more but you get everything you need new! except the wiper switch and the other kits get you on cheaper price and you don't get all connectors many are exclusive to AAW, and you don't want to use old connectors?

Rodney

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 10, 08:55 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

1- Does it use the factory looking firewall plugs or something different?

It is a bolt in bulkhead with blade style fuses.

2- The reason I ask #1 is because I have an RS with the electric hideaway headlights. Does this kit include the wiring for that too or is that something else that needs to be bought?
will either need to buy the repro front harness or switch to electric headlight motors like DSE or Retro Electro

3- Can the original style RS headlight wiring be hooked up to it or are there many modifications? Plus how will I know how to hook it up? DO they explain how?

is pretty straight forward, but I would do electric motors and ditch the factory stuff.

4- Painless offers a nice looking RS headlight harness with new style relays... is it a bad idea to intermix that with the AAW?

answer to question 3

5- The AAW kit says it comes with a conversion for a newer (non-serpentine) style alternator. I have an externally regulated alternator currently. Does that mean I'll need to buy a new alternator too?

[B]ould do a one wire alternator[/b

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 10, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dario

Thanks guys for the info. Monkey, did you do the install of the kit in your car? What did you think of it? Good product I take it?

67 RS Camaro
Now: Hotchkis SB TVS, Cross-Drilled/Slotted Disc Brake Conversion, 327/330, Headers w/ Pypes Dual Street Pros & more to come.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 10, 05:39 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

We sell quite a few and install a lot of them in our shop. Doing 2 installs right now. Customers in my shop are required to buy the best, we won't mess with any junk. AAW is simply the best.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 10, 06:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Frank look at the original post. Dario has electric motors on his 67 he wants to know if AAW will work with his stock motors.

Roger

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 10, 07:29 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

I caught that in question 2 and 3 already, he is ordering today but will need the RS harness kit also to run his stock motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms View Post

will either need to buy the repro front harness or switch to electric headlight motors like DSE or Retro Electro

is pretty straight forward, but I would do electric motors and ditch the factory stuff.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 10, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dario

Yup,

Frank set me up with a harness today. Thanks Frank! I'm looking forward to the rewire but nervous too. Shouldn't be a big deal for me, just never thought I'd be rewiring a car. I'll have to pick up the RS headlight harness at a later time. Not enough money yet, but I intend to do it. I was going to make repairs to the original harness but it was making me nervous. Works OK now but the fuse box is rusty and many of the wires aren't cracked yet but they are discolored and don't like to be bent. They seem to want to hold their shape after bending. Not a good sign.

I definitely don't want to finish this project and have it burn down around me after I put so much time and effort into it. Several people have PM'ed me and all seem to really like the AAW kit. I'll put in my $0.02 after I'm done with the job. I'm sure it will be fine.

67 RS Camaro

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 10, 12:33 PM
Senior Tech

It's really pretty simple with the interior removed. The hardest part is routing everything and making it look clean when finished

67RS-zz4 w/ trickflow heads 276hr cam air gap 780 Pro Systems TexRacing 4spd AGR steering SCAT procars 12 bolt eaton posi 3.73's SSBC all around, TT2's Dakota Digital Painless DSE hinges

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 10, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dario

Just so I know... Do the wires come labeled every few inches like Painless or is it a color coded thing? If it is by color codes, do they follow factory color codes (because I do have the factory manual) or will it come with an installation manual that will guide me through it well?

Oh and Mike- DANG DUDE! That is one SHAWEEEET 67RS in your signature link! I sure hope mine looks like that when I get done. Way to go bro!

67 RS Camaro

Last edited by jet-tech1; Jan 17th, 10 at 01:52 PM. Reason: added comment for Mike
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 10, 03:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

The wire are marked what they are for it is very nice.One of the designers is retired from GM.If you have any questions what so ever dont hesitate to call them they were very patient with me as I am a dummy.I also added a direct wiring kit for the DSE wiper motor which AAW helped me with.Good luck with it and keep us posted....

PRO.ST69orange

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 10, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Street69Camaro468 View Post
The wire are marked what they are for it is very nice.One of the designers is retired from GM.If you have any questions what so ever dont hesitate to call them they were very patient with me as I am a dummy.I also added a direct wiring kit for the DSE wiper motor which AAW helped me with.Good luck with it and keep us posted....
AWESOME! That should be very helpful. Thanks for the info. Good to know I'm getting a good product from a good company.

By the way... awesome ride. Amazing attention to detail. I always loved huge tires in the rear but I bet the tires cost a pretty penny though huh?

67 RS Camaro

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 01:40 AM
Senior Tech

Thanks Dario

67RS-zz4 w/ trickflow heads 276hr cam air gap 780 Pro Systems TexRacing 4spd AGR steering SCAT procars 12 bolt eaton posi 3.73's SSBC all around, TT2's Dakota Digital Painless DSE hinges

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode