Voltmeter - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 10, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Milt

Garage
Voltmeter

Not sure if this has been posted before, but i found a voltmeter on the Rick's Camaro website for the console gauge cluster. I had never seen one before & thought many folks here would want to convert from the funky amp gauge.
here is the link:

http://www.rickscamaros.com/find.asp...spec=voltmeter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 10, 04:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Re: Voltmeter

Cool. I run both. The console unit is original and a voltmeter replaced the un-needed clock above the steering column. The amp guage is, well, useful, sorta.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 10, 07:04 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Crap...$ US 119
http://www.rickscamaros.com/product....dept%5Fid=3447
Shipping will be about $US 70 plus insurance etc
So that makes it just under $US 200
Landed here $NZ 270 plus tax of 12.5%

I have never figured out why the Americans put Ammeters in their cars, which basically tell you nothing useful, yet all my old Vintage english cars have voltmeters.....

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 10, 12:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Crap...$ US 119
Shipping will be about 70 plus insurance etc
So that makes it just under 200
Landed here 270 plus tax of 12.5%

I have never figured out why the Americans put Ammeters in their cars, which basically tell you nothing useful, yet all my old Vintage english cars have voltmeters.....
Ya know Steps, it might be because the manufactures thought we were too dumb to know what voltage readings represent.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 10, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Milt

Garage

I have a feeling the price will come down as more manufacturers start making them.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 10, 08:49 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

I recon I can get one of my old gauges face, clean it off
use the guts out of another volt meter.
Then scan and resize to match the calibration of the volt meter being used, then print to a clear transfer....

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 10, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Milt

Garage

Steptoe, you are one resourceful dude!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 10, 11:35 AM
Senior Tech
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt's 68 SS/RS 396 View Post
Not sure if this has been posted before, but i found a voltmeter on the Rick's Camaro website for the console gauge cluster. I had never seen one before & thought many folks here would want to convert from the funky amp gauge.
here is the link:

Thanks for pointing that out. Its a great stock appearing alternative to the potentially hazardous amp gauge.
If you have ever seen the damage caused by an amp gauge or wiring short out, you would want to convert to volts!

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 10, 12:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt's 68 SS/RS 396 View Post
here is the link:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ficarra View Post
Cool. I run both. The console unit is original and a voltmeter replaced the un-needed clock above the steering column. The amp guage is, well, useful, sorta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Crap...$ US 119
Shipping will be about 70 plus insurance etc
So that makes it just under 200
Landed here 270 plus tax of 12.5%

It is not an ammeter. It is a milivolt meter that measures the voltage drop from the wire that goes from the connector behind the battery to the horn relay. Repeat, not an ammeter from the factory.

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 10, 12:11 PM
Tech Team

Ive converted my factory ammeter to this unit and its great. I'm an early adopter and had a problem with an earlier unit as it grounding to the metal base plate of the factory gauge console. The screw studs were not adequately insulated. Returned and was sent a new gauge. Problem solved, its so much more useful to see voltage and the look blends right in.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 10, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Milt

Garage

Wonder if they offer it in the black face.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 10, 04:56 PM
Tech Team

Yes its available
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 10, 09:07 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
It is not an ammeter. It is a milivolt meter that measures the voltage drop from the wire that goes from the connector behind the battery to the horn relay. Repeat, not an ammeter from the factory.
OK lets split hairs
A ameter just tells one if it is discharging or charging.
A volt meter once one has a basic understanging, if it is charging , discharging, basic condition of the battery, the charging condition of the alternator/generator etc

"a milivolt meter that measures the voltage drop from the wire that goes from the connector behind the battery to the horn relay"
Which in effect only tells one the same thing as a bloody useless ammeter.
So if the factory is teconatly a voltmeter, who cares at the end of the day it is useless other than the consol cluster would stupid with only 3 gauges.

BUT...an after thought on this..If it is a volt meter, then one should be able to put a resistor or something in the curit so it reads right and connect it across the battery feed.
Quote:
Steptoe, you are one resourceful dude!
Ok this is out of my leauge....you bright sparks (pun intended lol) can this be done?

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 10, 11:02 PM
Senior Tech
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
Well, the factory calls it an ammeter.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 10, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Milt

Garage

I definitely think the volt meter is much more usefull. The hard part is explaining to the boss why I need to shell out another $120.00 on the black hole in the garage!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode