Where should I hook my Pertronix 12V wire on my 1968 camaro??? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 10, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
guillaumeb

Where should I hook my Pertronix 12V wire on my 1968 camaro???

Hi, just want to know where I should hook my 12V red wire on my electronic points I installed. I need a constant 12V which is present only when the key is ON. The positive side of the coil is only about 8V because it is a resistor type wire coming to it. I have plugged it on my wiper motor 12V wire, but i had forgotten that when I turn the key to start the engine... the accessories stop working, so I'm loosing the 12V at that time. Could I plug it to an ALWAYS present 12V like the circuit breaker for my power top on the firewall? or is that bad?
Where is the best location according to you?
thnaks a lot!
G.b.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 10, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Where should I hook my Pertronix 12V wire on my 1968 camaro???

Hook it to the IGN spade on the fusebox.
Or cut the resistive wire, leave it 2-3 inches long at the firewall connector, and solder them together.
Or, if you want to keep the resistive wire, fold it back at the coil and insulate it with heat shrink and at the firewall connector, trim off some insulation and solder the wire there. Insulate with heat shrink.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 10, 08:00 PM
Jason

I am doing the same Petronix set up too. I was going to order a new engine harness from M&H with a new 12 volt wire coming out of the bulkhead just for the HEI. I call M&H last week about it they said it was around $100.The harness I have now is not in the best shape.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 10, 11:07 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

"Hook it to the IGN spade on the fusebox"

That's what I did. Drilled a hole through the RS rubber grommet (for vacuum hoses) big enough for the wire.... gotta look close to notice it.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........

Last edited by Garfields Maro; Jan 16th, 10 at 11:17 PM.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 10, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
guillaumeb

I have a brand new wiring harness, if i had ordered it for the HEI, I would have the necesary 12V wire? Damn, I tought i didn't need the HEI thing as I don't really have an HIGH INTENSITY ignition... only electronic points...
Thanks for the help, I'll splice the resistor wire down near the fuse box under the hood...
thanks
g.b.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 09:43 PM
Senior Tech

IGN on fuse box, me too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 10, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
guillaumeb

Thanks guys!
I ran it around the original wiring and then trough the power top motor grommet down to the left IGN spade, works like charm!
see ya!
g.b.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 10, 05:57 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Hook it to the IGN spade on the fusebox.
Or cut the resistive wire, leave it 2-3 inches long at the firewall connector, and solder them together.
Or, if you want to keep the resistive wire, fold it back at the coil and insulate it with heat shrink and at the firewall connector, trim off some insulation and solder the wire there. Insulate with heat shrink.
I'm also changing over to HEI. That resistor wire goes down to the starter no?? I don't see how cutting it and leaving 2-3 inches long would get you the 12V needed.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 10, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT View Post
I'm also changing over to HEI. That resistor wire goes down to the starter no??
No, not directly, it stops at the + terminal. The yellow wire goes from the +coil termnial to solenoid providing full battery voltage when starting.
Quote:
I don't see how cutting it and leaving 2-3 inches long would get you the 12V needed.
The resistive wire is a calculated length. Cutting it off and soldering at the firewall will have a negligible voltage reduction with the reduced length. However, soldering to nickel-chrominum wire is a feat, as non-existent, either braze or crimp.

If a '67, you would have to leave the yellow wire from the solenoid as there is no START ign from the ignition switch as opposed to a '68 ign switch having START ign.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 10, 07:41 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

OK, so I cut it at the firewall connector, then re-solder it with a new same gauge wire. That would be my new 12v source, correct?? Hey, thanks alot. Great info.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 10, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Correct. You're welcome.

'
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 19, 04:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Can one connect the Pertronix 12v with switched ignition to the horn relay?

Update: My multimeter reveals the horn relay is 12v all the time so it can not be utilized for switched ignition power source. This makes sense since one can toot the horn even if the key is not in the ignition. I thought I remembered I once connected an electric choke to the horn relay which means my memory function must be flawed.

This '67 Camaro I am working on has the Pertronix ignition powered at the IGN Fused tab in the fuse box. I need to power two other lines so I am pursuing a valid Pertronix connection under the hood.

I noted there is a fuse box open tab called ACC Fused. I question if this is ignition switch activated or constantly hot.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159

Last edited by Andrew69; Jan 7th, 19 at 10:03 AM.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 19, 08:23 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew69 View Post
I noted there is an fuse box open tab called ACC Fused. I question if this is ignition switch activated or constantly hot.
use a test probe light or meter to see if it is switched (IGN) or constant 12v

I used the IGN from fuse block under dash.

IDK what else you need to run IGN but IIRC its a 10 amp feed so you could piggy back from it depending on whatever load the other stuff you want to hook up
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 19, 10:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Presently there is no battery in the car, and just trying to work it out with knowledge on our site.

Good to know it is a 10 amp and I might split it 3 ways.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 19, 10:37 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew69 View Post
Good to know it is a 10 amp and I might split it 3 ways.
It will say (printed) on the fuse block what amp the IGN is. 10a IIRC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode