Well, I'm stumped (charging light always on) - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 10, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ed

Well, I'm stumped (charging light always on)

About 10 years ago I converted my 68 from an externally regulated alternator, to a 10SI internally regulated alternator. For 10 years, it's been a workhorse.

My son was driving the car this morning, and the charging light came on. I had him bring the car home and after a quick diagnosis, it appeard the alternator was only putting out 13 volts. So we took it to Kragen and they tested it and it PASSED!! So I took it across the street to Auto Zone, and it passed there too.

So after we got back home, I started looking for problems and couldn't find anything wrong in the circuit. All the wiring ohmed out okay and there weren't any grounding issues, so I went back to Kragen and told them I believed that the alternator was bad anyway. Well, I have to admit that they didn't say boo when I told them I wanted to get a new one under my original lifetime warranty. They said no problem and handed me a new (rebuilt) 10SI alternator.

After installing it, I started up the car and the charging light still came on! So now I'm totally at a loss as to why this is happening.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ed B. (but you can call me Bert!)
CRG -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 10, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Well, I'm stumped (charging light always on)

Measure both sides of the GEN light.
IGN on one side, battery; alt on the other if running.
Unless the two inside wires of the OE ext connector came loose.
Wiring diagram of your hook-up for internal reg alt?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 10, 03:48 AM
Senior Tech
Brad

my previous 67 camaro had a cut up wire harness and I repaired it the best I could and everything worked but the GEN light never would go off I drove the car for several year's never had a problem but that light was alway's on ?

1967 RS 327

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 10, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ed

It's a mystery... I fixed it, but I'll be darned if I know what was wrong!

Ohmed out the wires again and nothing was out of the ordinary. Checked for grounded wires and none were found. So I started running external (out of the harness) jumper wires to troubleshoot. When I ran a jumper from the alternator ("Field") to the indicator lamp inside the car, the problem went away! So whatever it was, was related to the "Field to lamp" wire.

Oh well, it's another one of those electrical gremlins we're always running up against in old cars.

Ed

Ed B. (but you can call me Bert!)
CRG -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode