67 RS Relay Pulses - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 10, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Bill

67 RS Relay Pulses

Hello. I finally got the RS doors to work. New motors, new relays. The doors did not close until I replaced the diode in the ignition switch harness. However, with lights on (open doors) the relay keeps pulsating and jerking both headlight doors open. I first thought the doors were bouncing off the motor switch. I made sure the doors contact the switch but the relay continues to pulse . I think this is relay #1. Is this a ground or short issue?
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 10, 09:54 PM
Senior Tech
Adam

Re: 67 RS Relay Pulses

Hey Doc, if you turn the ignition to "on" does the cycle on the relay stop and they work correctly?

My Current Baby:
1967 Camaro RS orig. 327 w/powerglide
deluxe bench front seat Int. w/ power windows,
factory A/C, factory four piston disc brakes,
454 Big Block currently w/TH400

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 10, 07:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc's 67 RS Convertible View Post
Hello. I finally got the RS doors to work. New motors, new relays. The doors did not close until I replaced the diode in the ignition switch harness. However, with lights on (open doors) the relay keeps pulsating and jerking both headlight doors open. I first thought the doors were bouncing off the motor switch. I made sure the doors contact the switch but the relay continues to pulse . I think this is relay #1. Is this a ground or short issue?
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thank you
Relay 1 is responsible for providing 12V to the motors to open the doors. Is the relay "clicking"? It may not be the relay but the circuit breaker tripping and resetting that is causing the "pulsing" you are seeing. To test, Put a test light on the orange wire connection at the breaker. It should remain steadily lit. If it blinks on and off the breaker is tripping and probably caused by some incorrect ground.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 10, 11:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose RS View Post
Relay 1 is responsible for providing 12V to the motors to open the doors. Is the relay "clicking"? It may not be the relay but the circuit breaker tripping and resetting that is causing the "pulsing" you are seeing. To test, Put a test light on the orange wire connection at the breaker. It should remain steadily lit. If it blinks on and off the breaker is tripping and probably caused by some incorrect ground.
Hey Tom,

My circuit breaker does keep tripping and resetting. I know it might be a stupid question, but any idea where to start checking for a bad ground? Is there one location that is more apt to be the problem area than another?

Thanks!

JB

1967 Marina Blue RS Coupe:

2011 Red Jewel Tintcoat RS Convertible:

1967 Madeira Maroon Coupe (barn find):
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 10, 11:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

JB, under what conditions does it happen? turning on the lights? do the motors move the doors?

Need more details but by the schematic, breaker feeds orange wire to R1. Depending on state of R1 12v is on blue wire for opening doors or green wire for closing. First thing to do is make sure the wireing at each relay is correct per the photos shown on the retro-electro faq's. http://www.retro-electro.net/FAQ.html

Sometimes people get the wrong connectors paired up at each relay and the system can fight itself.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode