Retro-Electro RS doors - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 10, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Paul

Retro-Electro RS doors

Hi! Can someone post pictures of their 1969 RS doors using the Retro-Electro Kit conveersion kit? I want to see the hardware for the doors and where its connected to the kit. I don't think I have the proper hardware for the doors and all my vacuum components are gone. I believe there should be a hole on the headlamp assy. where the arm attaches to the door from the motor?? I only have one on the driver side. Help please.
Thanks, Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 10, 03:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Re: Retro-Electro RS doors

Is that the name of the company? I have the dse kit in my rs? If thats the same i can send you pics!

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 10, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Paul

Hi Bill,
If you don't mine sending the pictures anyway. I'm not sure if it's the same kit but, mine includes motors (2), control box (2), arm (2) and some hardware. I just need to see how everythings connected.
Thanks, Paul

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 10, 09:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rod

retro-electrics instructions are on there web site
http://www.retro-electro.net/instructions%20main.html
and here's a DSE instruction tidbit

Rodney

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 10, 10:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

I did these on my 68. Here is the thread that my help you some.
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=164938

Matt

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 10, 11:17 AM
Senior Tech
MARK

Garage
Send a message via AIM to PROZ11

I used the Retro-Electro kit on my 69. It sounds like you have everything you need for the conversion. None of the original vacuum stuff is needed. As said above, check out the website instructions. It should clear up everything once you see the pictures and instructions. The kit is not at all like the DSE kit so the pictures won't really help you. And you do have to cut a hole(s) in the headlight assy where the motor goes through and the arm will be located. There is a picture on the site.

Here are the pictures from the instructions on the Retro Elecrto site:
Just drill the 3 small holes with the supplied template plate and then cut the "c" slot into the bracket. For the slot I just used large drill bit and drilled 3 holes. One for each end and one in the middle. The I used a cut off wheel and connected the drilled holes. The whole install is pretty easy.

Pro Street Z11 clone

YOUTUBE VIDEO:

Last edited by PROZ11; Jan 21st, 10 at 03:50 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 10, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Paul

Thanks for your responses...I don't think mine came with a template. The pictures were great. Aloha, Paul.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 10, 07:08 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Paul,
Call me if you have any questions about the install (973 728 7232). The template you are looking for is a small square CNC aluminum piece with three holes and a raised center. I can send you a new template if yours is missing.
Mark,
Retro-Electro, LLC
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 10, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Paul

How did you all reinstall the lamp assy. back in the car? Was the new motors on the assy. I tried doing it with the motor on but, couldn't - not enough room. I haven't tried yet but, do I need to install the motors after the lamp assy back in? Just getting to mount the motors would be a pain.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 10, 04:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

You should install the motors on the light assembly while you have it out then install the light assembly w/motors back in. When installing the light assembly back in, you want to make sure you got the light bezel off the car/grill. Also remove the headlight door cover of the door mechanism. Reinstall both after you get the light assembly installed. Tape off all surrounding area (fender/valance/grill) so you won't scratch during install. I use duck tape just to be safe. You'll have to finagle the light assembly slowly in. You may have to move the door one way or another to get it back in. Take your time...

Matt

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 10, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Paul

thanks Matt...the light bezel your referring to is the ring that goes around the headlamp right? It's a '69 that i'm putting this in. I'll try it again.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 10, 07:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Well...I am looking at the 69 RS grill and it appears to be one solid piece versus 67-8 is 3 pieces. Big middle piece and 2 outer piece known as RS headlight bezels. So technically 69 RS doesn't have bezels. The ring that goes around the light itself is known as headlight retainer ring. You should put that on (along with headlight) after you install the headlamp assembly. Taking the bezels out made a big difference on my 68 when I was installing the headlight assembly as it gave me a little more play room. Given one solid grill unit on the 69RS may be an issue. I would tape the heck out of the grill before installing. Worst case, you may have to pull the grill but I would think not. Let's see what others have to say...

Matt

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 10, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Paul

Thanks Matt for your clarification...I'll try it again and if it doesn't work I will need to see whats involve to pull the Grill out and after that I'm sure it will go right in. Thanks again!!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 10, 07:48 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Matt,
The grille and bumper has to come off to install the 69 kit properly. The 67 and 68 kits do not need the grille or bumper removed.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 10, 09:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Paul, sounds like the grill/bumper must go. If anyone knows, it would be Mark. Here are some pics of my 68 when I did this. As you can see I had more room to work with then you do and the bumper wasn't an issue at all. Actually, I didn't own a bumper at that time...

Matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode