Wire Harness Install - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 10, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Jason

Wire Harness Install

I think it's time to update the electrical system in my 69 Camaro. Everything works but it looks terrible. I hate looking under the hood and trying to figure out why that wire isn't hooked up and where is it supposed to go. My question is, how far over my head am I getting with a project like this? Is this something that the averagy guy can do over a weekend? Who has the best harness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 10, 05:32 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Wire Harness Install

I hear AAW has the best harnesses.
If you are just talking about an engine harness and everything is stock most could probably do it over a weekend. It should be pretty much just route and plug stuff in...

However, if anything is aftermarket and you are not comfortable with wiring you could be asking for pain and confusion
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 10, 06:01 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason92325 View Post
I think it's time to update the electrical system in my 69 Camaro. Everything works but it looks terrible. I hate looking under the hood and trying to figure out why that wire isn't hooked up and where is it supposed to go. My question is, how far over my head am I getting with a project like this? Is this something that the averagy guy can do over a weekend? Who has the best harness?
Yes, the average guy can rewire the underhood portion of a Camaro during the weekend.
American Autowire's "Factory Fit" wiring harnesses are made especially for stock applications and feature correct factory style connections/connectors. I rewired my Camaro exclusively with the AAW "Factory Fit" wiring harnesses and would/will purchase them again if necessary.

David F.
www.firstgens.com

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 10, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969ProStreetCamaro View Post
Yes, the average guy can rewire the underhood portion of a Camaro during the weekend.
American Autowire's "Factory Fit" wiring harnesses are made especially for stock applications and feature correct factory style connections/connectors. I rewired my Camaro exclusively with the AAW "Factory Fit" wiring harnesses and would/will purchase them again if necessary.

David F.
www.firstgens.com
Ok. I think the under hood part should be fairly straight forward. What about the rest of the harness? I want to update everything. I want to go with a more modern fuse box and relocate the battery to the trunk. Is the AAW kit just like the original harness or does it come with the new style fuse box? I can't tell from their web site.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 10, 06:37 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason92325 View Post
Ok. I think the under hood part should be fairly straight forward. What about the rest of the harness? I want to update everything. I want to go with a more modern fuse box and relocate the battery to the trunk. Is the AAW kit just like the original harness or does it come with the new style fuse box? I can't tell from their web site.
The new style fuse block is used on the AAW "Classic Update" wiring harnesses. The AAW "Factory Fit" is just like the original wiring harnesses. The rest of the harnesses are just as simple as the underhood harness. Just take your time and unplug and reconnect one circuit at a time and work your way through the harness until you reach the end of it.

David F.
www.firstgens.com

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 10, 09:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

If you are doing the whole car it is going to be substantially more then a weekend job. I have done more then your average amount of wiring and I probably have 60-70 hours in my complete harness in my '68. I modified my engine bay wiring as per MADelectrical.com and crimped, soldered and shrink wrapped all circuits with any kind of load. It takes some time to route everything and make it look good when you are finished. I may be slow but it turned out pretty nice, IMO Don't throw any old wiring out until you are finished.

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 10, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Jason

It seems like everyone here likes the AAW kits. Is there a problem with the Painless kit?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 10, 03:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I have installed a few painless kits. They do not come with the ends installed like the factory. It is a nice kit with new style fuses. You will have to insert the ends for the steering column because they make 2 different types. The manual shows you how to do it. It is totally a custom install with some factory ends. You will have to crimp and solder and heat shrink most ends.

I did have a problem with the light switch terminal block. It had a wire in the wrong place for the running lights.

This is not a factory type wiring harness. If it is a custom install you want to do it works fine.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 10, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post
I have installed a few painless kits. They do not come with the ends installed like the factory. It is a nice kit with new style fuses. You will have to insert the ends for the steering column because they make 2 different types. The manual shows you how to do it. It is totally a custom install with some factory ends. You will have to crimp and solder and heat shrink most ends.

I did have a problem with the light switch terminal block. It had a wire in the wrong place for the running lights.

This is not a factory type wiring harness. If it is a custom install you want to do it works fine.
OH OK. I'm not that confident in my soldering abilities. So the AAW kit (I'm looking at the Classic Update Series Harness) comes completely assembled?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 10, 04:58 PM
Senior Tech

yes, aaw kit is ready to go out of the box.
Call them and tell them your plans and what you want, they should have exactly what you want.

Painless is more like painful, my brother in law bought one. And as stated, it just a bundle of wires with a fuse box at one end and some connectors in a bag. Might as well include a note that says "good luck sucker" Cause I don't remember any instructions.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 10, 05:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400bird View Post
Call them and tell them your plans and what you want, they should have exactly what you want.

Painless is more like painful, my brother in law bought one. And as stated, it just a bundle of wires with a fuse box at one end and some connectors in a bag. Might as well include a note that says "good luck sucker" Cause I don't remember any instructions.

All you need is skill to put a painless wiring harness in. lol

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 10, 05:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400bird View Post

I don't think the AAW Classic Update comes completely assembled. To the contrary, I believe substantially all light sockets need to be attached.

http://www.americanautowire.com/67-68camaro.html

Notice the unattached bulb sockets?

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 10, 06:35 PM
Team Member
Kevin

I used the AAW Classic update in my 69, and thought it was very straightforward. I suggest you read over the entire directions before starting though. It helps you understand how it all goes together.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 10, 07:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The AAW factory fit harness comes completely assembled as a factory harness.
They will let you order it with wiring for an internal regulator alternator and / or an electronic ignition. These are plug n play.

The AAW classic update kit comes "unfinished" the wires are attached at the fuseblock but most of the end connectors are not installed, it also has some extra circuits for additional options. All the new factory type connectors are included but not installed.

The original painless 18 circuit harness is a fully customizable street rod harness. A skilled tech can set it up for just about anything. It does not include the factory connectors for all the lighting and stuff.

Painless has some new products that are more complete that their original 18 circuit custom harness. Niether I nor anyone I've read on these forums has any info, you might check painless website.

Note there are LOTS of harnesses in a Camaro. 2 under the hood, the engine harness and the front lighting harness. There are several different front lighting harnesses depending on if the car is an RS, or if it has factory gauges.
There's only one engine harness, it feeds the wipers, ignition, starter, and heater only.

A/c cars have an additional harness just for the a/c.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 10, 10:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Updating, redoing the wiring in your car will be the best $500 you spend.
Go slow test everything as you go...no regrets

Rick
68 project...reassembly starting: (383, AFR 195, Air Gap, Comp Cam XR276HR, 1.6 CC Gold rollers, Holley 750, 4/09) (TKO 600 conversion from T350 4/09) (floor pan restored 6/09). (12 bolt 3.73, Wilwood disc, Hotchkis TVS 7/09), Dougs 368 with Big Dog mufflers (9/09), 383 fired up 9/30/09, Candy Apple Red 2012 with white RallyBee stripe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode