Parking / Running Light Problem - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 10, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Parking / Running Light Problem

I searched the forums, but did find my specific problem/solution...I hope that someone here can help.

After my full restoration, I'm in the final stages of re-assembly. All of my electrical devices work, except the front parking / running (p/r) lights.

Without pulling the headlight switch and with the key on; all turn signals, including the front p/r lights work.

With the headlight switch pulled, the right front p/r light is on but the left is not.

With the headlight switch on and the signal lever turned on for the right signal, the right front p/r light is on but it will not blink (the rear blinker is working).

With the headlight switch on and the signal lever turned on for the left signal, the left front p/r light will not come on but it will blink (the rear blinker is working).

I'm using the Marquez Designs parking lights, but I have tried it with the factory lights and I still have the same issue. Also, I'm using the Marquez Designs lower valence (fiberglass), so I have grounded both p/r lights to the front header support brace.

I don't think that its a grounding issue, but I could be wrong. I don't have an ohm meter and wouldn't know how to use it anyway, but I do have a test light and I'm getting power to the front p/r lights.

What gives? Should I try replacing the flasher module? If so, what part number do I need? Also, could I have the wrong bulbs in the rear? The car is an RS, and I thought I read that there are different bulbs that need to be used in the outer tail light sockets (1156's vs 1157's).

I'm running out of wrenches to throw...so please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 10, 04:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Parking / Running Light Problem

I'd say it's a grounding problem.
Try hooking a temporary jusmper ground from the housing to a known good ground like the battery and try the lights - bet they work.
Look for issues with the grounding leads coming back to the radiator support - may need to clean the screw area first before attaching the terminal support to get good continuity.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 10, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Parking / Running Light Problem

I'm with John, ground problem.
You have voltage at the socket for the function selected?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 10, 05:56 PM
Senior Tech

Measure from you battery (-) to what should be a good ground when the lights are on and acting up. Chances are you'll see voltage on your meter which is a sure sign of a ground issue.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 10, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
You have voltage at the socket for the function selected?
Yep...at least thats what the test light shows.

I was really hoping that it wasn't going to be a grounding problem (since those are a PITA to trace), but looks like that is the general concensus.

Vintage 68: I'll start with the battery ground and check their function and then go from there.

Can anyone give me a specific rundown on the location (i.e. "radiator support behind left headlight, etc...) for all the grounds that could be causing this problem?

Thanks for all the replies so far!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 10, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Right on the rad support, the grounds are generally tied/bolted together with the headlight ground, right behind the bucket or just inside towards the centerline of the car.

Use a star washer to get a good ground. It is strange one filament of the bulb works and not the other one, signifying the ground is working.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 10, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

OK...here's an update: I grounded both p/r lights to the negative battery post and nothing has changed (still the same issues that I described in my initial post).

I gave the headlight grounds a visual inspection and they appear to be fine. Both grounds have star washers and since the headlights work there shouldn't be an issue with these grounds. Are there any other grounds that I need to check?

What about the flasher module or incorrect bulbs? I don't think that it's the flasher module since all blinkers work if the headlight switch isn't on. Could this mean that I may have a problem with the headlight switch? I hope this isn't the case because that thing was a PITA to install with all the vaccum hoses, etc.

Next steps??
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 10, 10:28 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Anytime an electric circuit in a car does funny things, it is typically a grounding problem. It may be the ground for the switch or at the lights.I use a small wire and alligator clips to check for bad grounds. I clip my wire onto the electric object at it's ground and clip the other end of the wire on a verified ground. This "false ground" will then tell me if I have a grounding problem. If all works well, I have a bad ground.

Daddy's Hot Rod.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 10, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

We may be getting closer. Here's the latest news...I had a bad wire connector (all new reproduction wiring harness that wasn't making a solid connection) on the left front p/r light. Now that I've fixed that, both p/r lights will come on when the headlight switch is pulled. Also, when the headlight switch is not pulled and the turn signal lever is operated, (with the key on), both p/r lights work as they should.

However, if the headlight switch is pulled on (with both p/r lights working as intended) and the turn signal lever is operated, neither of the p/r lights will blink/flash.

Does this mean I have a bad flasher module or a bad connection or switch at the headlight switch? Remember, both of the lights were blinking/flashing before I found bad connection and will still work with the headlight switch off (it was just that the left p/r light wouldn't illuminate with the headlight switch on).

I need a "head-scratching smiley".

Next steps???
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 10, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Look at park light filaments, if same filament is lighting, wrong wiring somewhere. Turn signal should have large/topmost filament lighting. park light filament is the lower one.

Heavy duty flasher, 552, might help, but 1157 is correct bulb. '67 has no parking light with headlamps pulled on. '68 & '69 park light stays on with headlamp pulled on.

'
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 10, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Thanks Everett...I'll swap out one of the Marquez LED lights with the factory style and check to see which filament is illuminating.

Thanks for the tip on the heavy duty flasher...gives me an excuse trudge out in the snow/ice for a trip to the parts store. Besides, I'm beginning to have a bit of cabin fever anyway.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 10, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Well...it looks like I need to call Pacual Marquez. I swapped out the Marquez lights for the factory style and everything worked as its supposed to. It could be that since the Marquez lights use LEDs instead of filaments that I need something else to cause the lights function as blinkers when the headlight switch is on.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 10, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

With filament bulbs installed, I would install a heavy duty flasher as they do not rely on current drawn, but are timed within the flasher, and handle up to six lights and view the results.

Then swap one side and view the results, one OE and the other LED. If the LED side does not blink, then you might have to get an electronic flasher for LED's.

'
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 10, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
With filament bulbs installed, I would install a heavy duty flasher as they do not rely on current drawn, but are timed within the flasher, and handle up to six lights and view the results.

Then swap one side and view the results, one OE and the other LED. If the LED side does not blink, then you might have to get an electronic flasher for LED's.
Yep...it appears that I need an electronic flasher. Is there anything special about installing one? Don't they have a wire hanging out of the unit? If so, where does that wire go?

Also, there are two flashers in my car...one on the fusebox and one near the center of the dash. Which one gets replaced for the front turn signals?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 10, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

The electronic flasher has a ground wire/lead, I believe.

The flasher on the fuse panel is emergency flashers.
The flasher on the dash next to the column is turn signals.

'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode