Looking for painless wiring harness/ kit for 68 camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 10, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Doug

Looking for painless wiring harness/ kit for 68 camaro

Looking for a painless wiring harness/ kit for my 68 camaro..

all the old wiring is junk.

where is a good place to buy from and is reasonable in price?? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 10, 07:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

Re: looking for painless wiring harness/ kit for 68 camaro

If this is a stock rewire why would you want to use Painful??? Use either M&H or American wiring.

67 'Bird vert 455 JW TH400 KRE d-port 310 cfm heads H-beam rods Comp Cam 305-AH-8 cam w/1.65 rockers Ford 9" 3.55 Detroit Locker M/T Radials 31x18x15 on Convo Pro 15x15s
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 10, 07:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 455 Bird ragtop View Post
If this is a stock rewire why would you want to use Painful??? Use either M&H or American wiring.
What he said. Painless is not reputed to be painless.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 10, 02:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Everything on my car (including the power window harnesses) was redone (rewrapped with new connectors) or I purchased new (engine and taillight harness was shot) from M&H Electrical Fabricators. They do good work.

67 Camaro: 454/TH400/4.10 12 bolt. Lots of options: PS/PDB/PW, tilt, tach, gauges and more. K-K + 797-Z...

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy" - Sir Ernest Benn
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 10, 04:07 AM
Senior Tech

As the others have said, you can search "painless" here and read the threads and find that a lot of folks think it is anything but painless. Have to reuse a lot of the factory connectors (think lots of splices), and the directions are not great and tech support is hit or miss. If you get their GM "specific" kit, it's around $500.

The AAW Classic Update series is the same general idea, modern blade fuse box and lots of extra circuits for electric fans, power windows and seats, engine control computer, etc. All in a much better kit, with new OE style connectors, good directions, and excellent tech support. Roughly the same price as Painless, around $500 to rewire the whole car.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 10, 06:25 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

Re: Looking for painless wiring harness/ kit for 68 camaro

I used painless for my 69 total rewire and it was fine , around 500.00. You do have
to use some of your old connectors though. AAW does look like a better kit, I didn't
know about them at the time.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 10, 07:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

It also depends on if you are going to do custom wiring or factory looking wiring. I use painless all the time. They do have there issues.

If you have all factory ends and route it like factory,,AAW is the way to go. But if you route your wires under the fenders so you cant see any wiring then painless is the way to go. You will be putting your own ends on the wires because of the wire length.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 10, 10:05 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post
It also depends on if you are going to do custom wiring or factory looking wiring. I use painless all the time. They do have there issues.

If you have all factory ends and route it like factory,,AAW is the way to go. But if you route your wires under the fenders so you cant see any wiring then painless is the way to go. You will be putting your own ends on the wires because of the wire length.
AAW update kits are the same way. Wires are EXTRA long. What is even better is AAW comes with an accessory plug so you do not have to bundle a spool of wire under the dash for options you may not be using. If you have painless issues, why not change?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 10, 01:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
If you have painless issues, why not change?
The only problem I had was on the light switch. They make 2 different light switches for 69 GM. One with seven wires and one with eight wires. All I had to do was move a wire for the seven wire switch. Not that big of a issue. It was for the running lights to be on when the headlight lights are on.

I will look into AAW harnesses next time.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 10, 02:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

One thing with AAW is customer service its a GM guy that designed it and will help in every way you need to make you happy.I called painless with no help and I think they were Indians that I was speaking with.This is what turned me off with Painless.I hope this is not bashing me saying that the customer service was Indians.This was about two years ago may be things have changed.

PRO.ST69orange

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 10, 05:44 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Painless was painfull for me. Go w/ another kit. Brian

1969 original SS in family since 1971.350/330 crate w/ comp 270 roller cam,2004R,355 12 Bolt posi,P/S P/FTD Brakes P/W P/TOP Orig A/C car but removed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode