73 Wiring issues - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 10, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

73 Wiring issues

I purchased a 73 recently and the wiring job done from the previous owner is a mess. Everything worked fine the first few weeks and then started having issues, which I expected. The way you turn the power on in the car to get it started is by flipping a toggle under the steering wheel. It is wired to the fuse box under the dash, which is also wired to the positive battery cable. Then I have a starter button next to my seat which is spliced into the yellow starter wire. I had an issue where the fuse to where the power toggle switch kept blowing out. I replaced the wires to that switch which went between the fuse box and battery. The old ones were all corroded and burnt. Then it happened again and the brown and green wire behind the gauges had been melted, so I replaced those. The gauge cluster is custom with auto meter gauges, no original parts there. All the gauges where wired together and ends were taped off, but not very well. I figured there was a wire loose making contact where it was not supposed to, so I tied up all loose ends and made sure everything was properly taped off. Now, my car kicks right over the first time I try it. After turning it off its hard to start it again. When pushing the button to start it, there is a sound as if there is a short at the starter. Then after a few more attempts the car fires up. I had the starter tested and it passed. Battery is new as well as alternator. Any advice on what to look at now would be appreciated.

350ci,th350,h.e.i dist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 10, 02:12 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

Re: 73 Wiring issues

David:

I suggest you post over at Nasty28 site. The 73 Camaro wiring is much different then pre-71 models which most TC members are familiar with; but there are some very knowledgeable people here.

I'm not trying to shove but I believe you will get a better response from enthusiasts who are more familiar with 73 wiring - Good Luck ;o)

PS: I would make sure the Main Ground Straps are clean and secure with Battery Negative Lead bolted to Block, Block Ground Leads firmly bolted to the Wheel Well and Cowl. Also ensure the Solenoid Power and Main Starter Leads are not frayed or shorting, particularly, to the Block.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Z15CAM; Feb 20th, 10 at 02:31 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 10, 06:04 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

With the state of the hack wiring that was performed on your ignition, no web site will be able to offer anything more than this:

Buy a service manual with a wiring schematic in it.
The ignition will have to be rewired correctly as GM engineers intended.

Sure toggle switches, push buttons, wires all taped together without solder or without crimped splices work, but they only work for the hack that did it originally and knows what they hacked to get it to work. You're going to get stranded somewhere at the most unconvenient time.

You'll save a lot of grief by just rewiring it by the book.

1969 RS/SS Vert

1031 Engineering llc

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 10, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks,

I liked the idea of how things were intended to work, but yea, better to be safe than sorry. Already stranded once and cost me 170 dollars thanks to the CHP's towing service. I have the diagrams so I'll give it a shot, other then painless are there any good wiring kits out there?

I did try nasty's but, I was unable to register.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode