Alt Lamp Wire - MAD "New System" - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 10, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brandon

Alt Lamp Wire - MAD "New System"

Hello

I recently added a 140 amp 3 wire alternator to my 67. I ordered everything I needed for wiring upgrades from MAD electric and followed the "new system" wiring design. BTW, this is a great upgrade to a camaro's electrical system. I rerouted the brown lamp wire from the voltage regulator (now deleted) directly to the lamp wire on the alt. MAD says to snip the brown/white wire from the back of the ignition switch which is supposed to be a resistor wire. Otherwise, the gen warning light will stay on and the alt will not turn on since it needs the resistance from bulb. WELL, there is not a brown/white wire at the ignition switch. When the brown lamp wire goes through the firewall it turns into a brown/white wire, BUT it goes to the direction signal flasher???

My car does not have a gen warning light, that I'm aware of, in the instrument panel, but it does have a amp gauge in the console. My concern is that the alt will not turn on. If I put a diode in the brown lamp wire will that work??? Will the direction signal flash work properly???

Thanks!!!

Brandon
67 Butternut RS 4spd. Muncie w/ OD (0.87 4th)
408CI w/ 508HP/530TQ
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 12 Bolt, Hotchkis Springs, 3" Magnaflow
Wilwood Brakes, March Pulleys, Vintage Air, Foose Legends

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 10, 07:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

Re: Alt Lamp Wire - MAD "New System"

Is MAD still in business ? Their website looks stale and I know there have been a lot of posts in the past asking. I have tried calling a couple times over the years and never got anyone to answer. How did you place your order ?

67 - Coupe - Bahama Blue, 427 SBC, TKO 600, Hotchkis TVS, Eaton Posi / 4.11
-------------------------------

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 10, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brandon

Yes, I talked to Mark a few weeks ago to order more ring terminals. You cannot order over the net and he has one phone line. He loves to discuss wiring and gives very detailed information. He is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to wiring these old cars. The problem is his phone is always busy. Sometimes I hit re-dial 20 - 30 times before it rings. This is why I'm asking this question here.

Brandon
408CI w/ 508HP/530TQ

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 10, 07:45 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

I used the Tech Ref here and Mad's site to wire mine up...I haven't got to try anything yet due to the weather (Snow...and more coming ) Everyone that has made the swap loves it...but there have been a few speed bumps along the way.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 10, 08:09 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

I talked to Mark last week and placed a large order he very much is still in business, I think extremely busy, so much so he doesn't have time to update a website.

Ed

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 10, 12:52 PM
Senior Tech

I'm not sure what to make of deleting the resistor wire. As far as I knew, the resistor wire served as a generator power backup from ACC power if the bulb should burn out (IGN power).

My brown/white resistor wire is the same as yours I believe. Seems like the diagram shows it connected to the IGN switch but it's reall connected somewhere else (flasher?). But if you look closely at the wire it's connected to - it's essentially the same circuit.

As you suspect, if you don't have power going to the brown wire through a resistance (resistance wire, resistor, or bulb), the alternator won't power up. If you omit the resistance, it will burn out the regulator.

I bet you do have a GEN lamp. I think all first generation Camaros (and just about every other GM vehicle made) had one.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 10, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brandon

The "L" terminal is used to switch the alt on, but the 'L" terminal cannot handle a full 12 volts. The filament of the miniature bulb serves as a resistor and a conductor in the system. The filament in the gen light will conduct a very small amount of current from the ignition switch to the "L" terminal at the alt to switch on the electronics in the alt and the alt will send a full 14v back to the light. With the ignition sending 14v to the other side of the light, the light will turn off with equal volts on each side. If the alt goes out or fails the "L" term will ground and the light will get 14v from the ignition, one side only, and the light glows to tell you the alt is out.

The only lights in my instrument panel, other than illumination bulbs, are the turn signals, low fuel, and brake. The wiring diagram says it has a gen light, but I guess it was deleted since my car has the console option with an amp gauge. I hate the fact that the wiring diagrams do not cover options...like a console with gauges.

I think I will need to add a resistor (diode) into the "L" terminal (brown wire).

I will try MAD in the morning...I was hoping to fire her up this weekend, but dont want to fry the alt. I'm only been waiting for 4 years. What's another week???

Brandon
408CI w/ 508HP/530TQ

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 10, 08:22 PM
Senior Tech

Diodes and resistors are different beasts. You'll definately need some resistance. I can't seem to find my document on regulators but believe you need between 10 and 20 ohms.

You may have heard diodes mentioned to prevent run-on in some cars with aftermarket ignition systems. I wouldn't put a diode in unless you need to. But a diode by itself is as good as a short circuit to 12V and will destroy the regulator without a resistance in line with it. As was said - typically the resistance is a bulb.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode