Where is the neutral safety switch? 67 - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 10, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gary

Where is the neutral safety switch? 67

Gents:
I had my car (underside) steam cleaned Saturday and they did a great job, drove home fine, however, now the car will not start, I checked all the usual stuff from the wiriing to the starter, ground, solenoid, etc... I am down to the neutral safety switch. I have read all the posts I can find, none of which describe where the switch is and how to check it for proper installation? ( I did find out how to bypass it, if I could only find it :-) I assume it is mechanical and adjusted to the shift lever, but not sure. If there are posts here that answer this question, maybe I just don't know how to search the forum? any suggestions at this point would be helpful, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 10, 07:38 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Where is the neutral safety switch? 67

Need a little more info, like what transmission (I assume it is an automatic, as manuals do not have an NSS) and what shifter you have.

If it is an OE Powerglide style floor shifter, then the NSS is inside the car at the base of the shifter lever. See the pics in the linked auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-...Q5fAccessories

If it is an OE shifter, there's really no way for the underside steam cleaning to have affect the switch, unless the rubber boot underneath is leaky.

If it is some other kind of shifter, we'll have to know what you have before we can help.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 10, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gary

it is an original console shifter for a powerglide, I swapped the PG out for a 350turbo last month. It sure seems to be a neutral safety switch issue. The only thin I have not checked is the 12v coming from the ignition to the starter, ( whcih I assume would be 0V in the case of a bad Neutral safety switch or as a very last option, the ignition switch itself) The starter kicks over when I jump it and when i apply 12v to the small lug on the Solenoid.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 10, 09:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

You can bypass it with a jumper wire as a test. It's the 2 purple wires on the four wire connector at the console shifter. cover it with electrical tape of course.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 10, 10:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose RS View Post
You can bypass it with a jumper wire as a test. It's the 2 purple wires on the four wire connector at the console shifter. cover it with electrical tape of course.
but don't do that permanently - just to test.
Then your car will start while in gear, and that is dangerous.

The original switches can be carefully repaired if needed,
or just buy a new one - they are reproducing these - $29.00
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 10, 12:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacecarjeff View Post
but don't do that permanently

Unless you are converting your car to a stick like I did.

-
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 10, 06:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Tom,

Just be careful to not start your car in gear. You do it once and never forget.

The first time I realized my '67 RS didn't have a NSS, I almost freaked out but thankfully I had plenty of room so stop the car.

Gotta get together now that this rain is finally over.

Oakster

1967 Camaro RS 350, Tremec 5spd, Hotchkis, Frame off

Bought it

Rebuilt it

Almost done
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 10, 07:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Hey Oakster,

How's it going? I learned to drive on a 64 vette. They didn't have neutral safety switches either. I make damn sure the clutch is in!

Mine is in pieces but back together in April. Hope we can hit Chop Shop again together.

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode