MSD Pos wire to solenoid or buss bar? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

MSD Pos wire to solenoid or buss bar?

I read all the stuff at madelectrical and am a big believer in connecting the positive side of electrical accessories to the buss bar rather than the battery as I have the original type remote sensing alternator. however, where I plan to mount my MSD I can run a 2' wire to my remote starter solenoid vs. an 8' wire to get it to the buss bar. The battery is in the trunk.

Is it still best to connect it to the buss bar?

Note: The instructions say to connect it directly to the battery.

Thanks!

69 Camaro, 3650lbs., 400ci, TH400, Coan 10" converter, 3.50 gear
D1SC, pump gas, 9:1, 10 PSI, Water/Meth injection
1.325 60', 5.988 @ 115.4 (carb)
Switched to Super Sniper EFI 2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 07:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: MSD Pos wire to solenoid or buss bar?

I hate to say it but MSD recommends it to be terminated at the battery. I have my battery in the trunk also. I tried the Red at different places and had trouble with my MSD box. I ended up running my wires to my trunk and added a capicator to the positive side.

If it was me I would terminate it to your starter solenoid. If you have problems then run the wires to the battery.

I had 2 #10 run from the trunk to a fuse block under my dash. That is where I have my MSD box. This is where I powered my fans and other things I needed. I also powered the MSD box from there. I had problems with my box going out. I had my ground going to a chassis ground. That is why I ran both my wires to the battery.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

Thanks Mike. This 6AL-2 says it will run on as low as 5 volts and will run at full output voltage with only 9V input. I don't really have an issue with mounting it at the solenoid as long as I don't get much voltage drop back at the battery.

Hooking things to the buss bar does not really affect voltage at the battery but i don't know how much amperage this thing draws.

69 Camaro, 3650lbs., 400ci, TH400, Coan 10" converter, 3.50 gear
D1SC, pump gas, 9:1, 10 PSI, Water/Meth injection
1.325 60', 5.988 @ 115.4 (carb)
Switched to Super Sniper EFI 2019

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 04:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Over the years with MSD's I've used the starter solenoid. Now the stud behind the passenger headlight on the radiator support. All of them work(ed) great. The battery is in the trunk, fed with 2 ten guage wires.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode