Battery in trunk - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 10, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Garage
Battery in trunk

What would be the best way to run the wire from the engine bay to the trunk? I just bought this car and he drilled a hole right through the middle of the passanger floor board....there has to be a better way?

69 X-44 Camaro, slowly upgrading to my liking...Hmmm, i guess i'll never be done
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Camaro LE SS...Many upgrades
1969 Step Side LWB C10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 10, 09:26 AM
Brad

Re: Battery in trunk

You can purchase "bulk heads", which are insulated connection points that mount in the floor board. You then run a short cable from your starter to the firewall side of the bulkhead. Then run the long cable from the passenger compartment side of the bulkhead to the battery in the trunk. Most Lowes or Home Depot stores have the bulkheads in stock or you can buy them from Detroit Speed.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 10, 10:19 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Summit has the bulk head connectors:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...ad-Connectors/

Ed

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 10, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Garage

He drilled the hole right through were you feet would sit as a passanger? Would you move it somewhere else, or leave it there since there is now a hole? That bulk head connector would allow the wire to at least lay flat, and I'm putting dyno mat down then the new carpet?? Thanks for the info

69 X-44 Camaro, slowly upgrading to my liking...Hmmm, i guess i'll never be done

1969 Step Side LWB C10
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 07:28 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

The bulkhead shown above is a good way to get power or ground from one side of a metal panel to another. The problem you may run into is having exposed terminals that may have voltage on them and if installed as is, could be somewhat easily shorted.
Some dynamat is just a tar based material but some deadeners have a metal foil on them. If the deadener has this metal foil I would leave some space between it and the terminals on the bulkhead fitting. I've head of guys covering or having the foil backed deadener close to something like the bulkhead connector and they have had shorts due to a poor installation.
What I would do is on the wires terminal end is run a rubber boot on it to cover what you can on it and then come back after the connections are made to the bulkhead connector and it is installed in the metal panel and cover it with a thick layer of silicone and let it dry. You can then have the sound deadener away from it a little bit and after the carpet is put in have some protection with the silicone covering for shorts and since the silicone is smoothed over the fitting assembly it is less apt to rub through the carpet and make a hole. If it ever needs service the silicone can be peeled off and a fresh layer reapplied.

If you are running a power wire from the battery positive post, I would also run a dedicated ground from the battery positive post to the engine block and then a secondary ground from the block to the body of the car and another from the negative battery negative post to the metal in the trunk area.
I too would also think about adding an ANL fuse back by the battery on the main power wire. Should a short occur, I would rather have a fuse blow and not have something catch on fire or become melted.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 10, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Garage

Good points Jim.....Thanks

1969 Step Side LWB C10
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 10, 09:49 AM
Tech Team
Jason

I can send pics of my install if you would like. I ran a 1/0 cable from the trunk to the front. I ran it along the bottom of the hump on the passenger. I drilled a hole through the floorboard slant that was almost inside the tunnel. I put a heavy rubber garment in the hole. The wire comes into the engine bay in the tunnel and runs down to the starter and is not noticeable. I used a Ford solenoid in the trunk. That way my large wire was not live all the time.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 10, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badley View Post
I can send pics of my install if you would like. I ran a 1/0 cable from the trunk to the front. I ran it along the bottom of the hump on the passenger. I drilled a hole through the floorboard slant that was almost inside the tunnel. I put a heavy rubber garment in the hole. The wire comes into the engine bay in the tunnel and runs down to the starter and is not noticeable. I used a Ford solenoid in the trunk. That way my large wire was not live all the time.
PM sent for pictures...thanks

1969 Step Side LWB C10
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 10, 06:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

jason, may i have pics of your install too? im looking to relocate my battery also.
ill send you a pm
thank you
-Steven

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Moser 12 bolt rear with ford ends 3.73:1 Eaton tru trac differential
Speedtech pro touring subframe
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 10, 09:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

Mine went down out of the trunk area behind the seats and ran along the frame rail...

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 10, 11:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

I have been considering this too. Why not exit the trunk and run the wire under the car down the frame and use the F**d type solenoid as mentioned above so it is only hot to the starter when you turn the key?

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 10, 10:55 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryh56 View Post
use the F**d type solenoid as mentioned above so it is only hot to the starter when you turn the key?
This too can be done but now a second power wire must be run from the battery up to the alternator to charge the battery and also power the rest of the car. This wire too would have to be sized properly for either the largest current draw or the size of the alternator (which ever is larger). If you have a 100A alternator but only needed 40A for the rest of the car, then this wire would have to be able to support 100A for it's length.
Regardless of whether a person runs a remote solenoid or a straight line from the battery, I would still add the appropriate inline fuse(s) at the battery.
I know the F**d solenoids have been used for years, you may also consider the bigger relays from suppliers like PAC. These are a more robust relay and are designed for continuous use while the F**d ones are for intermittent use. Some of the big relays like from PAC also have up to 500A of current capability. The PAC relays also have dedicated activation coil terminals on them and do not require the relay to be mounted and grounded to the vehicle. With the dedicated terminals you can switch the relay on with a ground or a positive signal.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 10, 10:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

I did as Larry says 20+ years ago without the F**d solonoid. At the time I failed to see the danger of a live cable running the length of the car. You do still have to power the system so another wire to the junction is required. I moved the power junction to the firewall by the fuse block and ran a wire from the starter terminal to the junction. I may have to rethink a few things.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 10, 10:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

The system Madelectrical.com recommends useing a jumper strap (piece of sheet metal) to jumper to the starter solenoid when the battery cable is powered. If the battery is in the trunk they recommend a 8ga wire to charge the battery from a power distribution point in the engine compartment. When you turn the key it closes the F**d solenoid (also in the trunk), powers the battery cable to the starter which also activates the starter solenoid via the jumper. I would think you could just run the charging wire and starting circuit wire inside the car to the trunk.

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 10, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Garage

Maybe this will help everyone....this is what is in my car.

http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/st-1.shtml

1969 Step Side LWB C10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode