Need to know how to route rear wire harness for 68 Camaro tail lights - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 10, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Need to know how to route rear wire harness for 68 Camaro tail lights

I am ready to install my American Autowire rear light wiring harness in my 68 Camaro (RS). That harness was totally hacked when I got the car so I don't know the proper way to route and attach the harness to the tailpan of the car. If anyone has photos of the wiring harness that show how it runs and attaches below each side's tail light, I would really appreciate it. In fact I'm not sure how it should properly run from the back seat on toward the rear of the car. How does it go over the wheel well and then does it just droop along the inside of the rear quarter panel out of sight below the trunk side extensions? I don't have any clips, and from other posts it sounds like maybe some clips were used below the tail lights. Or perhaps some plastic push-through-the-hole fasteners as are used (like the ones use to attach wiring harnesses under the hood). Any explanations and especially photos would be very helpful and appreciated Thanks again to any of you who can help out here. By the way, the American Autowire kits are by far the best choice for replacing wiring in these cars. Almost identical to factory in every respect and include all new sockets, etc.
Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 10, 07:07 PM
Guess

Re: Need to know how to route rear wire harness for 68 Camaro tail lig

"Or perhaps some plastic push-through-the-hole fasteners as are used (like the ones use to attach wiring harnesses under the hood)."

Mine were still in the tail panel. I took them out and wrapped them along with the tail light harness wires.
I don't know if you can get replacements.... probably can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 10, 04:36 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Look up wire loom clips.

Not original, but should work.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 10, 10:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

Isn't this more correct?

http://www.firewheelclassics.com/sto...pID=&SKU=WRRET

I see a second version at other vendors, too.

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 02:41 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingskibiker View Post
Isn't this more correct?

http://www.firewheelclassics.com/sto...pID=&SKU=WRRET

I see a second version at other vendors, too.
Thats the tape in kind.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Guys thanks, this is helping. Can anyone tell me the correct path for the harness, from where it leaves the rear seat going back? Does it run along the point where the two pieces of the inner wheel housings meet? Then does it hang down out of sight in the void between the trunk and the lower quarter panel? And then does it run along the point where the trunk floor pan and the tail pan join (or is attached to the tail light housings)? Also what is the correct routing routing for the wires going to the left rear side marker light, do they come up out of the harness directly below the light, or do they come off back by the tail light and then go back over to the side marker from there? A couple of photos if anyone has some would really help. Thanks.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 10, 12:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

I haven't looked back behind the rear seat, yet. I recall seeing the harness in my trunk. My memory is also backed up by the VigiLight and trunk light sections in the AIM. In the trunk area, it runs along the back of the wheel well behind the seam, down into the drop off, up and under the tail lights all the way across and down to the far marker light.

Trunk Light (Luggage Compartment Lamp) UPC U25, sheet A1, pg. 387
VigiLight (Lamp Monitoring - rear lamp) UPC U46, sheet A3 & A4, pg. 395-6

I can maybe stick my head in my trunk tomorrow if I remember...

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 10, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks Flyingskibiker. If you do get a chance to look - when I refered to behind the rear seat, I don't mean behind the seat itself, I should have said 'from where the wiring harness leaves the passenger compartment'. It sounds like the wires should run on the very top of wheel well where there is a one inch tall flange seam where the two halves of the inner wheel well come together. Any other additional descriptions or photos from anyone will be appreciated and will be a usefull addition to the website forum. I can't find any good posts or photos on the site that describe the correct routing and attachment of this wiring harness. Thanks.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 11:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

I'll check tomorrow. The drawings do have it following that seam...

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 10, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for any information you can provide. I don't see any sheet metal holes in the wheel well seam or across the tail panel the the plastic wire harness retainers mentioned above would poke into. What holds the harness in place as it runs across the inside of the tail panel? Nothing? Does it just sit there in place with no clips or retainers? Thanks again.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 10, 11:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Alrighty... I took a look. The harness comes up from behind the seat (on the right side of the seam in mine), crosses over to the left side of the seam before the trunk hinge, travels down into the drop off, up under the tail lights, behind and under the tank fill, under the right tail lights, and down into the drop off the short distance to the right quarter marker light.

Back to the seam and trunk hinge area: there is a clip on mine that looks like the clip used on the trunk light mounted on the trunk lid. Ever see those? That one clip is all that I see over there. I'd really have to climb in there to see if there are others further up behind the seat. But the harness seemed pretty loose up there...

At each bottom corner of the tail lights, there are clips holding the harness up. They are a kind of S clip allowing them to clip to the housing. Then on the harness side, they are long and flat parallel to the harness travel. Hard to describe. But to answer one question you have, there does seem to be at least one hole to snap a clip into... Maybe I DO have to crawl in there...

I did take some pics. They aren't the best. Plus, it seems the guy before me didn't wrap the clips on the tail lights back into the harness and chose to use zip ties... The clip on the seam is all but impossible to see. I kind of painted over it w/ spatter paint way back when...

Does that help at all? I'll post of couple of pictures to help make sense of what I wrote. But don't count on it! Man, took forever!

Harness coming from passenger compartment:
http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...01smedited.jpg

Down seam and into drop off:
http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...02smedited.jpg

Clipped under tail light:
http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...rea_0003sm.jpg

One view of clip:
http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...04smedited.jpg

Behind tank fill. Notice connector:
http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...rea_0005sm.jpg

Under tail light on other side:
http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...rea_0006sm.jpg

Decent shot of clip...Kinda:
http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...07smedited.jpg

Back down into drop off:
http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...rea_0008sm.jpg

Side view of clip:
http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...10smedited.jpg

Don't mind the wire colors and crimp connectors. Bought the car w/ '67 RS bezels and lenses in my '68 SS...

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 10, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Flyingskibiker, This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for taking the time to get the photos and post them. I hope this posting will be helpful to others in the future also. Its great to have others like you that help all of us to understand how things go together on these cars. Thanks Again.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 10, 11:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Eh, just having some fun... Also, I was thinking that the clip in the seam is probably the same as the ones on the corners of the lights. I had said they looked like the ones on the trunk light wire. It doesn't... Does the harness you bought come w/ the clips? I plan on buying a new harness one day...

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 10, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I bought the American Autowire kit, it is a very good way to go, all the wires are the correct color and also have printing on them describing each wire (rear brake, etc.) it comes with all new plugs and sockets, so it is as identical to the factory harness as you can get. However, it does not come with clips or retainers to hang the harnesses in the car. I have searched the internet and can not find any reproduction source of the S clips for this rear harness, my car did still have one of them, so I will use it on the wheel well where it shows, for the tail light clips I am going to use the smaller clips that were used for the trunk light, on the tail light housings to hold the wire harness below the tail lights. Maybe sometime in the future one of the restoration parts suppliers will offer the correct clips and I will swap them out. If you buy a kit in the future, be sure to get a couple of rolls of the non-adhesive wire harness tape to wrap the wires together. Thanks again.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 10, 08:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Hmmmm, the Factory Fit front harnesses I picked up do have the clips that snap into the metal along it's route. The "rag" heat sleaves, too... I would have hoped that they (FF) did the same for the rest of the harnesses. I'll have to take good looks at the pictures the vendors have on their sites! Though, most sites use a "generic" harness picture of the particular harness category (rear, underdash, etc.). Maybe I'll do that now... lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode