Gen lite stays ON in my 67 - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 10, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

Gen lite stays ON in my 67

Hi there,

I picked up a 67 machine that has been rewired and it came with the alternator busted due to previous owner splitting the case and turning it a quarter turn to fit again the BBC valve cover. I replaced that bad alt with both a new alt and regulator.

The gen light stays on and it's not charging. I yanked the new alt and regulator out and brought them to another shop for testing and they're both fine. But yet it's not charging and the gen light stays on.

The voltage regulator shows juice with a test light at the orange and brown wires (with ignition on, engine off). The white and blue wires from regulator to alt are fine as I ohmed them out.

I'm stumped. I gather there's something at the ignition key/dashboard end of things to complete or resist a circuit in order to "turn on" the alt?

Thanks,

Gordon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 08:46 AM
Tech Team
Mark

Re: Gen lite stays ON in my 67

sounds like the ign side is good. The only thing left is to check alt and reg grounds and alt hot circuit. Make sure grounds are good and take a volt reading when car is running at the alt pos post.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 10, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

Re: Gen lite stays ON in my 67 - always have a spare regulator handy!

One thing I learned this time around was to have a spare voltage regulator handy. Even though I had taken the old voltage regulator along with alternator to the shop for testing and both tested good. So, it got to the point where I took the car in to the shop to finish it off and I told them I felt it was the regulator. The techie spent over half an hour testing wiring and full field testing, took the regulator out for another test and it showed good! Then he kind of gave up, his boss came in and told him to try another regulator just to see....and man, it worked! Even when the old regulator tested good on the bench and in the car, but there was something pulsing in it. If only I had a spare regulator handy I would have followed my instincts and saved a trip to the shop.

Gordon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode