Dash Gauge Assembly Question - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 10, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Banned
Joel

Dash Gauge Assembly Question

Gathering parts to assemble my factory gauge pod and since I am starting with nothing, I need to know what is needed to accomplish this. I do have the housing, speedo, tach and printed circuit. What I don't have is the other assorted pieces and brackets to assemble. Does anyone have a good assembly drawing or a good pic of the factory pod assembly?
Also are the other assorted parts available new or do I need to hit the swap meets and look on evilbay.
Thanks in Advance!
Joel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 10, 10:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker
Re: Dash Gauge Assembly Question

Just sockets and bulbs? There is a ground wire, too. The hole for the tach will have to be enlarged if going from a fuel gauge to tach... Tach wire/lead is built into the (correct) harness. Have to drill a hole in lense for clock if not there already. Ummm... That's it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 10, 10:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

You can buy everything you need for the dash panel aftermarket at places like Firewheel Classics or Rick's first Gen. What year do you have? The dash panel only attaches to the dash itself with about 6-7 screws n a 67-68. On a 67-68 You will need a ground strap that goes from the top of the printed circuit board to the center screw for the dash panel. Make sure that strap is a good solid ground - its important. If you have a 69 I assume it will be different.

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 10, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Banned
Joel

There must be something to secure the gauges to the housing. All I have is the housing, the speedo and the tach from Classic Industries. Also, how does the printed circuit attach to the single gauges? Really need an exploded drawing or photos.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 10, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Banned
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryh56 View Post
You can buy everything you need for the dash panel aftermarket at places like Firewheel Classics or Rick's first Gen. What year do you have? The dash panel only attaches to the dash itself with about 6-7 screws n a 67-68. On a 67-68 You will need a ground strap that goes from the top of the printed circuit board to the center screw for the dash panel. Make sure that strap is a good solid ground - its important. If you have a 69 I assume it will be different.

Oh sorry....It is a 67 RS car.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 10, 08:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

The gauges mount into a rear housing that bolts to the front one sandwiching the lens. You have that, too? Once those two are together, the circuit board is held in place by inserting the bulb sockets, harness, and a few nuts and washers.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 10, 09:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshwk View Post
There must be something to secure the gauges to the housing. All I have is the housing, the speedo and the tach from Classic Industries. Also, how does the printed circuit attach to the single gauges? Really need an exploded drawing or photos.
Here you go Joel, this scan is from my 68 AIM but should be the same. The part the gauges mount to is metal and that is attached to the dash carrier assembly with a few screws around the outside.

This picture is the real thing from when I replaced my fuel guage for a tach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	instr cluster.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	14930   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0381.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	14931  

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

Samuel Adams
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 10, 10:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Joel just saw this on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/67-68...Q5fAccessories

Samuel Adams
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Banned
Joel

Wow and that is what I need except I need one for a speedo and tach.
Any help guys??
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Banned
Joel

Thanks for the pic and that back housing is exactly what I need. You wouldnt happen to know of one out there somewhere would you??
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 05:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

That part on eBay is what you need if you want to put an aftermarket tach, which is exactly what I did in the pic above. That is the only part that isn't available repo I think. Unless you have an original factory tach I highly recommend a good quality repo and they are designed to go in the housing on eBay so snatch it up. My tach is made by Classic and works great. This is the 67 version: http://www.rickscamaros.com/product....1&dept_id=3362 (cheaper then the 68 tic-toc-tach)
Using a repo of the original is nice because you still have the blinker and original wiring works (with the correct circuit board).

Samuel Adams
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Banned
Joel

And that's the problem. I bought a new OEM type speedo and tach from Classic Industries. So using the back housing as pictured above is not an option. Wanted the factory setup but guess I made $600 mistake...lol
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 10, 12:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

You guys are talking about the metal carrier(s) that the gauges are mounted to and has the circuit board on the back, right? You need a fuel gauge carrier for a tach? Interesting... Anyway, I have seen about 5 or six complete gauge clusters at a salvage yard by me. I was looking for the low fuel lens... I believe they were all fuel gauge clusters. If that is all you need, PM me. Plus, I've been meaning to check out another salvage place about 2 hours away near my family! :-D Oh, and there is the swap meet this weekend...

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 10, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Banned
Joel

I am needing the speedo / tach housing not the speedo / fuel gauge housing. Someone had mentioned that the fuel gauge rear housing could be made to work but to be honest I have never seen that done. Any help you can offer is appreciated.
Thanks!
Joel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode