Neutral safety switch - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

Neutral safety switch

Do I need a neutral safty switch on my steering column if I am running a 4 speed trany, Thanks

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/h...hevy%20Camaro/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 04:20 AM
Kevin

Re: Neutral safety switch

Jim, actually you need a clutch safety switch (mounted on the pedal support) , works the same. You have to push the clutch in to start. For 69s you also have to have the reverse lockout linkage to get the key out of the column when you put it in reverse. the reverse light switch is mounted on the column which is also activated by the lockout.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

Thanks Kevin, is all I need is the neutral safey switch for a manuel trany and the clutch rod and that will also activate the reverse lights or do I need something else I need

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 07:01 AM
Kevin

Jim, not sure what you mean by "anything else I need". Are you in the middle of a swap? Do you have factory 4 speed wiring hareness's or are you rewiring? Do you have headers?

Kevin

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Jim, not sure what you mean by "anything else I need". Are you in the middle of a swap? Do you have factory 4 speed wiring hareness's or are you rewiring? Do you have headers?
Kevin when I got this car I did not have anything, it was just the shell and I am trying to put it back together I got a American wiring harness, I did not take it apart so it is hard for me to figure where thing go and what I need to get it back together, and I do have headers on it and I have a 383 stroker with a Borg Warner super T10 four speed trany, I am trying to use the assembly manual and I don't know if it is helping me or not it can be a little confusing and the shippng cost is killing me I would like to just order all the part's at one time rather than order this and find out that I need that like it has been happening to me on this project
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 08:34 AM
Senior Tech

You can search "clutch switch" here, or used advance search with posts by me for pics of the 69 clutch safety switch. This switch is roughly equivalent to the NSS function on an auto equipped car; the fat purple and purple/white wire that are part of the ignition circuit go into the clutch switch, and pushing the clutch in completes the circuit and allows electricity to flow from the ignition switch (when in the start position) to the starter solenoid.

Completely separate from that are the reverse lights. On a 69 model with OE manual transmission, there is a "backdrive" linkage (you can search using that term and should find pics of what that is) from the shifter rod to a bellcrank on the subframe rail, and then another rod up to the tab on the bottom of the column tube. When a 69 model with OE manual trans was shifted into reverse, the backdrive system moved the tab at the base of the column, rotating the metal tube inside the steering column, which in turn triggered a reverse lamp switch mounted on the top side of the column housing inside the car, near where the column mounts to the firewall. Incidentally, putting the shifter in reverse and the rotation of the tub inside the steering column also allows the ignition key to be turned all the way back and removed from the housing; in other words, all the backdrive system functions as a safety device, ensuring the car is placed in reverse to secure it when parked. Auto transmission cars had the same type of system to make sure the car was in park before the key could be removed, and column shift auto cars also used the backdrive to activate the reverse lamps similar to manual cars.

If you have the column out of the car, you will see a window/elongated slot in the column housing near where the firewall bracket goes, and through the window you should see the inner metal tube with an equivalent slot. You will also see two small mounting bosses (either side of the window in the housing) where the OE reverse light switch mounted.

Now, all that said, many, many 69 cars had the backdrive linkage thrown in the trash when headers were installed. And if you're converting from automatic, you may not want to go through the hassle of finding and installing the backdrive. You can easily place the inner column tube in the correct place to allow the key to be removed; some folks use wire to tie the tab at the base to something underhood, to keep the tube from rotating. I used 3M stripcalk inside the column to keep the tube in place and not compromise the collapsability of the column in an impact. Then you can use an aftermarket shifter mounted reverse lamp switch and just extend the pink and lime green wires to that location.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 08:37 AM
Senior Tech

Also, if you are using the AAW Update kit, and the car was not originally a manual trans car, you will not have the correct connector to hook the clutch safety switch up. However, because AAW does make the Factory Fit OE style harnesses, they have the correct connector somewhere. I can give a contact name there if you need to track down the connector.

Eric
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 09:50 AM
Kevin

Thanks Eric, for the much clearer explaination that I wanted to type in Jim, your headers may intefere with the backdrive, so you may need to fab up something else like Eric said.

Kevin

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 11:34 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

So the reverse lockout will not work with headers?? OK, I will have to figure out how to get my reverse lights working then?? Aftermarket switch then I guess?? Any other suggestions or ideas?? I would like it to look stock.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 11:55 AM
Kevin

The 67-68's used a trans-mounted reverse light switch.

Kevin

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 12:08 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

You could use the 67 - 68 reverse light switch or the much less expensive reverse light switch available from Hurst. I used it in the 69 until I installed the TKO 500.

There's a fine line between hobby and obsession and I think I crossed it!

69 Camaro SS 350 4 Speed (5 Speed)
69 Corvette L46 Roadster 4 Speed
99 Corvette 1SC Roadster 6 Speed
Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 & 13
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 12:25 PM
Senior Tech

I think that the issue with using the 67-68 style switch that connects to the reverse linkage on the trans is going to be that the switch assembly comes with the wiring pigtail as an integral part, and the pigtail will be the right length to run up the bottom of the firewall under the wiper motor, where on a 67-68 there would be a female bulkhead connector to plug the wiring into. Again, as I explained above, the reverse lamp wiring for a 69 model was completely contained inside the car, so if you are trying to do a factory looking install, the 67-68 trans mounted switch may not be the best way to go.

This thread used to have pics, but they are not showing up for me right now:
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=164668

The generic back up light switch can be mounted a number of ways; there is a pic in this thread of one way. it appears that the owner ran the wiring in split loom protector up along the speedo cable and through the firewall somewhere.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...t+back+picture

My TKO has a back up light switch on the side of the trans, and I just put an OE style protective sleeve (the woven stuff, like used on the temperature sender wire) over the two wires and ran them up into the interior through the shifter cutout in the tunnel, and then they'll be under the boot ring (which will be loosely tight) and under the carpet until they come out under the dash and connect to the main harness. No extra holes to drill, no wires hanging down, and hopefully the OE style protector will withstand the little bit of rubbing against the cutout edge.

Eric
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

Thank's for the Help Eric & Kevin it was very helpful, I will forget the neutral switch, and I think I saw and trany mounted backup switch on Ground up's site and I will check out Hurst to thank's again
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 10, 11:02 AM
Apprentice
Chris

Was there a "neutral safety switch mounted on auto columns? My '68 was originally a column mounted automatic no console, it was changed to a 4 speed at some point so I swapped out the column w/shifter for floor mounted steering column. My problem is every so often the car won't start when I hit the key, I can start it at the starter (jumping terminals) this is an intermitent problem so I wonder am I not bypassing a safety of some sort? Anything you can provide would be helpful guys! Thanks.
-Chris

C.W. Nelson
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 10, 12:04 PM
Kevin

Yes, Column shifted cars had a "Park" starter switch mounted low on the column. look for large purple and purple/white wires. They are the ones used for the switch.

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode