How to Bench Test Horn? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nick

How to Bench Test Horn?

How is it done?

On my bench, I connected a battery charger to the horn, but nothing happened? I tried both horns. I am trying to determine if the horn is bad. A horn relay should not be needed. All a relay does is route 12v power to the target electronic device.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Nick

69 Camaro, 327, Auto, Console, Deluxe Interior, AC, Med Green, Exterior Style Trim, 3.08 rear end. Owned since 1983-1st car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 07:42 AM
Kevin

Re: How to Bench Test Horn?

Nick, sometimes a charger does not have enough amps to get a old horn to start vibrating due to scale/dirt etc on the coils. Try a battery and you should spray some wd-40 in the horn and move it to the center by rotating opposite from the spiral. Horns go bad with internal rust (specially the low notes). Banging it lightly might help loosen it too

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Nick, sometimes a charger does not have enough amps to get a old horn to start vibrating due to scale/dirt etc on the coils. Try a battery and you should spray some wd-40 in the horn and move it to the center by rotating opposite from the spiral. Horns go bad with internal rust (specially the low notes). Banging it lightly might help loosen it too
I wil try that tonight . By the way, the battery charger was 10 amps. Also the horns have been sitting for over a dozen years.

Thanks,

Nick

69 Camaro, 327, Auto, Console, Deluxe Interior, AC, Med Green, Exterior Style Trim, 3.08 rear end. Owned since 1983-1st car.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 09:46 AM
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by digi-69 View Post
I wil try that tonight . By the way, the battery charger was 10 amps. Also the horns have been sitting for over a dozen years.

Thanks,

Nick
Yup, same model I have. The 64 amps from a well charged battery can sometimes overcome the rust and scale, luck!

Kevin

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 10, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nick

Well, I oiled up the horns and then hooked them up to a car battery with jumpers. Nothing happened. I even hit the large pin on the bottom of the horn to "break" loose the scale. Nothing happened. I think my horns are bad. They are orginal. I will test the leads with for continuation (volt/hom meter). But I am not opimistic.

Question: Would you recommend drillng out the rivets and try fixing the electrical connections? Or should I shelf them and buy replacements (junk yard)?

Thanks,

Nick

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 10, 11:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

send them to Gary over at the horn works.
He can fix them for you like new.

http://www.classiccarhorns.com/
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 10, 10:35 PM
Senior Tech
John

Or order the new membranes and rivets from Ecklers. Rebuild them yourself if you think you can. Its an easy saturday afternoon job.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 10, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkbrau View Post
Or order the new membranes and rivets from Ecklers. Rebuild them yourself if you think you can. Its an easy saturday afternoon job.
Tore apart the horns last night. Piece of cake. Found a site with photos on what to do.

I just cleaned up the insides and the horns worked, but they do not have the right sound. I hope the correct sound (and loudness) can be achieved with replacement vibrating discs. The kit is only $32 for both horns! That is more like it! This Camaro is nickel and diming me to death.

Here is the step by step site for the horn repair: http://www.corvettemagazine.com/tech...beep-beep.html

Parts: http://www.zip-corvette.com/ProductD...d-276b691e7437}&

Nick

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 10, 02:48 PM
Senior Tech
Glenn

Thanks for the info.--
Did not know anyone offered a rebuild kit for horns
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode