Ignition Switch Help - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 10, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Mike

Ignition Switch Help

I am new here and my first car was a 67 I bought in 68 for a $1000. I retired and wanted to get one to fix up. I found a guy that sold me a 67, 68 and 69.I am not a totally ignorant, but not a pro so please bear with. The 69 is the nicest car, so I am working on it first. The car would not start with a key but start wells with a jumper wire from the starter. I have looked for a clutch or neutral safety switch and can't find one. The car has a clutch and 4 speed, but the column piece below the key switch will rotate around when it is switched on like it was a column shift auto, but it is solid with no cutout for the shifting arm. Two days of fighting it and I cant find the problems with 4 diferent build and repair manuals. I removed the switch that mounts to the lower colum with the attached from the key switch. The ignition seems much different than what I can find anywhere. It has one connector with 4 wire and one with 3 wires. None of my information or schematics show this many wires. I want to test the switch before I start buying parts that I don't need, but I can' find a diagram or schematic on how to test the switch. Really I guess I just need to know which contact post is incoming power and which is to the starter. The pur/white wire didn't get power when I test it.
Can any body guide me to a diagram for switch wiring or give advice???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 10, 04:32 AM
Senior Tech
John

Re: Ignition Switch Help

Mike, First thing...welcome to TC. Can you find the clutch pedal actuated neutral safety switch? If its removed then I think the circuit is normally open and thus the reason for not starting. Look up under the dash and trace your clutch linkage. Look in this link. Does that help??

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...neutral+switch
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 10, 04:44 AM
Senior Tech

The turn signal switch is in the upper right corner. The ignition switch is right under it. The switch also calls out the pinouts and how they connect as you go from START, RUN, OFF, OFF-LOCK, and ACCESSORY.

In 1969 (and later) all GM steering columns had the ignition switch mounted on top of the steering column down under the dash. There were two different type of switches. One switch for the standard (non-adjustable) steering columns. Another mirror image switch for all GM adjustable (tilt as well as tilt & telescoping) columns.

I believe that the above schematic shows the standard column switch. You are looking into the switch from the passenger side of the steering column. If you have a tilt column, you will need to turn the schematic upside down to agree with the tilt column switch pinouts on your tilt column. There was only one vehicle wiring harness which had two connectors that plugged into the ignition switch. If you were changing from a standard to a tilt column. You would have to take the vehicle harness connectors and twist them 180 degrees in order to get them to plug into the tilt column switch.

1969 was the first year of the General Motors locking steering column. GM was very concerned that people might lock their steering wheel while driving on the road. So they designed a system called the Steering Column/Transmission Shift Interlock System. If I am correct, this is how your Camaro interlock system worked. You can always shut off your engine by rotating the ignition key from RUN to OFF. However, you cannot continue turning your key any further (in order to reach the OFF-LOCK position.) Your 1969 Camaro, 4-speed has a linkage or cable system that should connect reverse gear to the steering column. When you shift into REVERSE the collar on the steering column (next to the instrument panel) should rotate CCW. This will open a gate inside your steering column head and allow you to rotate your ignition key all the way to OFF-LOCK. This position allows you to shut off the engine, lock the steering wheel and shifter, as well as remove your ignition key from the steering column.

GM floor shift models either had the backup light switch on the shifter or transmission itself or mounted on top of the steering column jacket (down by the floor - further down the column jacket from the ignition switch.)
Jim

Last edited by JIML82; Mar 24th, 10 at 05:29 AM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 10, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Mike

Thanks to both of you for your help. I have replaced the switch because it was hard to move. Corrosion I guess. Verified power from the switch to the starter terminal of the switch. I have also verified the continueity of the wire from the starter to the firewall. So, the fault is just between the firewall connector to the switch. It should of gone through the clutch safety switch, which is not there, so I expect I have an open circuit right there. At this point I ran out of time, so I will let you know what I find. I really do appreciate your help and hope I can use you again. I lost my son last month that worked on these with me and I am finding some peace working on them again, but I am not very good on my own. Thanks for the help Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode