Relocate Optima battery into trunk wiring questions - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 10, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Relocate Optima battery into trunk wiring questions

I have read the posts on the different wiring options out there and this is what I plan to do. Does this sound like it will work properly? I also have some questions.....

I purchased some 2 gauge heavy duty jumper cables that were 20 feet long and cut the ends off and added copper connectors to both wires at one end. They seem very well insulated and are copper. I am running both positive and negative through the car from the trunk on the passenger side and directly to the starter and engine block. The original battery cable used from the engine block to the battery (4 ga? I think) will be used as a ground from the enginge block to the body.

I am running a second 4 gauge wire from the battery, to the engine compartment and connecting it to the wire to the horn relay which was originally connected directly to the battery.

I also planned on running a second 4 gauge ground wire from the battery to the body in the trunk.

This may be a little overkill but is this ok?

Two other questions:
1) Since I'm using a yellow Optima gel battery, do I need to utilize a sealed battery box and do I need to vent it. I've seen guys at car shows mount their Optima batteries with an "open" billet hold down in the trunk fully exposed without any venting. Is this okay to do??

2) If I want to run a shut off switch since this is a street car with an alternator, how do I run it? Should I run a shut off switch? Does this need a selenoid like the MAD diagram shows or is there something I'm missing? Is there a part number and or picture of a proper shut off switch and selenoid out there?

I know there is alot of questions here but I just want to make sure this is okay before I get too far into it!!

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Tim
'68 RS 383 10:1 HR282 2004r Borla 3.73 posi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Before and After shots!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 10, 10:55 PM
David Pozzi

Re: Relocate Optima battery into trunk wiring questions

Isn't the way I would do it but it will work. The Optima will not vent unless you charge the devil out of it, like if something went wrong with the alternator and it stuck wide open. It's nice because this battery will not put fumes in the car when it charges under any kind of "normal" conditions.

It's OK to mount an Optima in an open mount, but check the rules if you race your car, some rules want the battery fully enclosed and covered so you can't see the terminals.

I ran one "0" sized cable from battery, to a ford starter solenoid in the trunk, then on to the starter, attached a jumper wire from battery cable to starter "SOL" terminal right at the starter. This way whenever the rear solenoid is energized, the starter runs. The rest of the time the large cable is dead. I use the chassis as a ground, ran the bat neg cable to the rear bumper bolts inside the trunk. An old wife's tale is that the cable must have fine strands like welding cable. I researched this, and it only applies to AC circuits, on DC wire strand count is not important, it just makes the cable more flexible.

I extended the starter sol wire from ign switch to the rear Ford solenoid, an 86 Bronco version mounts in the trunk very well. Ran an 8 ga wire from the horn relay back to the battery to charge it. I put in an inline cut-off switch in this wire to disconnect all power from the car. You can buy a 50 amp toggle switch at most parts stores, it's just slightly larger than a regular toggle switch and it can handle charging loads well enough. I ran a small fused line direct from Bat + to the radio to keep the memory and clock going. You don't need the huge tractor cutoff switches because starter loads are not carried by the toggle switch, just charging and running stuff when the engine is off. Madd says an 8 ga wire is sufficient.

I would add a relay to break the alternator energizing circuit if you want the rear switch to cut off the engine while it's running. I think if you use the relay you would have to use a double pole single throw 50A Cut-off switch, so you don't get feedback from the alternator.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70

Last edited by davidpozzi; Mar 28th, 10 at 11:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode