Mounting of the Voltage Regulator & Brand Recommendation ?? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 10, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Mounting of the Voltage Regulator & Brand Recommendation ??

I am trying to solve a battery discharge problem and am replacing the Voltage Regulator with a NAPA Echlin VR142 as recommended on another discussion on T/C. On the back of the regulator is a fifth tab pointing up on this photo. Is something supposed to connect to this tab?

Thanks guys!

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 159

Last edited by Andrew69; Mar 29th, 10 at 06:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 10, 05:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Re: Mounting of the Voltage Regulator

The capacitor for radio noise suppresion. It mounts to one of the three screws. You need to make sure the screws are grounded well to the radiator support for the regulator to work correctly.

Here is a picture.

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 10, 05:48 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
The capacitor for radio noise suppresion. It mounts to one of the three screws. You need to make sure the screws are grounded well to the radiator support for the regulator to work correctly.
Simular to this...

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 10, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Thanks guys, that's good information. I have been reading some more and see the Wells P/N VR715 unit recommended pretty frequently. Should I return this NAPA Echlin unit at $54 and instead buy a Wells VR715 for ~$18 instead? I am not worried about the money as much as wanting the best unit for the car.

Skunk Works
Some photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 159

Last edited by Andrew69; Mar 29th, 10 at 06:13 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 10, 06:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Quote:
Originally Posted by X33D80 View Post
Thanks guys, that's good information. I have been reading some more and see the Wells P/N VR715 unit recommended pretty frequently. Should I return this NAPA Echlin unit at $54 and instead buy a Wells VR715 for ~$18 instead? I am not worried about the money as much as wanting the best unit for the car.
Do one of the above, unless you have your original dated VR in which case have it restored and use it on your Z/28.

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 10, 03:27 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Mounting of the Voltage Regulator & Brand Recommendation ??

Keep the original dated reg, install the VR715, and transfer the cover if you like.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 10, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Keep the original dated reg, install the VR715, and transfer the cover if you like.
Unfortunately I do not have the original voltage regulator for the car. Is the NAPA mechanical unit worth keeping at $53 or is the Wells unit for ~$16 just as good for my application. I am more concerned with functionality than cost. Leaving cost out of the decision, which unit is the better choice?

Skunk Works
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 10, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Electronic, VR715. Reading from others here, they have not had any problems.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 10, 07:07 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

I just switched to a 12si setup and have a barely used VR715 if you are interested. I also have a high output stock style alternator if you are having charging issues. PM me if you are interested.

This is the alternator: http://storesense1.mysuperpageshosti...ail.bok?no=745

I can e-mail pictures.

69 Camaro, 3650lbs., 400ci, TH400, Coan 10" converter, 3.50 gear
D1SC, pump gas, 9:1, 10 PSI, Water/Meth injection
1.325 60', 5.988 @ 115.4 (carb)
Switched to Super Sniper EFI 2019
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 10, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg O View Post
I just switched to a 12si setup and have a barely used VR715 if you are interested. I also have a high output stock style alternator if you are having charging issues. PM me if you are interested.

This is the alternator: http://storesense1.mysuperpageshosti...ail.bok?no=745

I can e-mail pictures.
Thanks for the offers Greg. I'll send you a personal email a little later.

Skunk Works
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 10, 11:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

And lastly, good luck returning an electrical part.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 10, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

I decided to use the NAPA Echin Voltage Regulator because it has a more original GM appearance primarily a tall cap cover and a heavier metal base that is gold iridium colored. It just looks to be better quality too, even though the fully electronic alternative is probably just as effective. What can I say, it is just me, it has something to do with under hood appearance.
Anyway, I installed it on the car this afternoon following the installation instructions (run the car at idle with headlights and accessories running for 1.2 minutes, turn off the headlights and accessories let it idle down and check if the voltage light is lit). The voltage light is not lit, but the under dash voltage gauge is displaying ~15.5 volts which seems a bit high to me. Am I in danger of blowing the battery or damaging something else with 15.5V going to it? I can tell that the interior and head lights are already brighter.

Edit: I gleaned this information from a previous post when Everette helped someone else: "2. Disconnect the ground cable. remove the VR cover, look on the relay with a spring on it, about a 1/2 inch long - bottom relay? It keeps the relay open. Making the the spring longer adjusts up the charging voltage - move the stationary point at the bottom of the relay. Replace ground cable and measure charging voltage - should be up from previous readings."
Does this mean that I bend the lower tab slightly effectively shortening the spring (reducing tension) to adjust down the charging voltage?

ANOTHER UPDATE: I quickly grew impatient and made the adjustments to the spring tab as described above. After tweaking it back and forth a few times I now have charging voltage pegged at 14 volts and am good-to-go.

Skunk Works
Some photos:

Member # 159

Last edited by Andrew69; Mar 31st, 10 at 03:39 PM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 10, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Good, as a battery gets warmer and VR gets warmer, charging voltage might be around 13.8 volts. With lights on, blower on,idling, voltage will be battery voltage as VR/alt can't keep up, until revs are given. Normal indications. you could have left it at 15 volts, older Fords had 15 volt charging voltage. Batteries made today can take the higher voltage.

Tuning of the charging system depended upon condition of battery, and keeping an eye on elctrolyte level, remember the older batteries? You could boil them over, too much charge voltage, or, low battery charge, not enough charging. Checking battery level was one of the full-service features at a gas station back when these cars were built until '73, 10SI was invented.

'
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 10, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Thank you very much for your help Everett. So I could have left it at 15.5V? Some searches here led me to believe that was too high. I'll leave it at 14V and watch it for a little while. If it stays there, and it probably will, I may adjust it back up to 14.5 or so.
It's always fun to learn something new.

Skunk Works
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 10, 06:37 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

Make sure your battery is fully charged when you are making the adjustments. A low battery will take a lot of amperage until it is charged and can throw off your readings.

Just curious...would you consider upgrading to a 12si? I did a lot like you are and tinkered around with the factory system for a year (that's why I have the extra alternator, mechanical VR and digital VR ). I finally gave up and went to the 12si with internal regulator and the difference is night and day. A perfectly optimized factory external regulated system cannot hold a candle to the 12si.

The alternator is $44.95 from Autozone with a lifetime warranty and has 78 amps. At idle the DN (stock 69 type you have) puts out about 8 amps where the 12si puts out 35! The rewiring is minimal and it is a great upgrade UNLESS you want a perfectly stock appearing car. Just a thought...

69 Camaro, 3650lbs., 400ci, TH400, Coan 10" converter, 3.50 gear
D1SC, pump gas, 9:1, 10 PSI, Water/Meth injection
1.325 60', 5.988 @ 115.4 (carb)
Switched to Super Sniper EFI 2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode