Front Light Harness - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 10, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

Front Light Harness

Need Help, Just put in a new engine harness from American Auto Wire and it went in nice and easy. Now I am putting in the front light harness and need help with a few wires. Its a 69 small block 350 (non original) ,4 speed with HEI. A one wire Alt with internal regulator on the passenger side. From the fuse box I got temp sending,side markers,black grounds,horns, horn relay and lights all OK. near the end about 2 ft is a red wire with circle hole connector, Does this go to the junction block ? If not where ? At the end is a heavy red wire with circle hole connector and black rubber cap Where does this go ? Last is two wires, red and brown hooked to a double connector, where does this one go ? Your help is appreciated. Thank You.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 10, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Front Light Harness

I suggest the red wire with the black cover goes to Alternator BAT stud and its other end to the junction block by the battery to charge battery and provide electrical power for the rest of the car.

Not a clue on the brown & red wires. Wait, these are the sense and excite wires for the internal regulated alternator, red to #2 (sense wire from a power distribution point - horn relay buss bar?), brown to #1 (comes on with ign switch on IGN).

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 10, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

Thank you, I found a place on the Alt where the red and brown will plug in. I am still confused. I agree the red one with the cover should go to Alt batt. But there is no other end it goes into the harness. I thought the other end of this red one went to the positive side of the battery . Is this where the other red one about two feet shorter comes in. If they both hook to the junction block will the Alternator charge make it to the battery ?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 10, 01:04 AM
Senior Tech

i would say to the little black junction block by the battery
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 10, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Both large gauge red wires should go to junction block as Anthony suggests along with positive cable pigtail.

There may be a red wire from the horn relay to junction block - measure for continuity.
Measure from alt BATT to horn relay buss bar - measure for continuity.

I don't have a '69 wirting diagram in front of me, but, the wire route would be from alt to j/block, or from alt to h/relay then to j/block.

Then pos cable pigtail to j/bock. After wire hook up and before clamping onto battery, measure continuity from alt BATT stud to pos cable cable - if good - cool!

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 10, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

You are right , the shorter red wire is from the horn relay and I will hook it to the junction block, Then I will put the positive battery cable to the starter and the small red battery positive to the junction block. The long heavy red wire fits perfect for length and hook up at the alternator . One more question, do I need to run a wire from the alt to the positive battery. ( one wire for charging ) ? If not where does the battery get its juice from the Alt ?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 10, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

No need to add a second wire, the red wire from alt goes to the horn relay to junction block to battery post/clamp.

'
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 10, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

Thank you for your advice on the continuity tester and the hook up. I think we got it. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode