Connecting OER tic-toc-tac for my 68 - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 10, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nev
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 499
Connecting OER tic-toc-tac for my 68

I have purchased an OER tic-toc-tac for my 68 Camaro.
There are 3 terminals on the back of the tach.
I assume 2 are for the tach to function and 1 is for the clock.
The terminal at the 12 o'clock position and 8 o'clock position (when looking at rear) are posts that have nuts tightening onto the PCB.
The terminal at the 4 o'clock position does not touch the PCB.
Can anyone advise of correct terminals for connection of the tach.
[IMG][/IMG]

Rgds,
Nev

Almost finished (?) 68 Camaro
383 stroker
T350
12 bolt Moser
nev68 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 10, 10:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry
 
larryh56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Washington
Posts: 1,503
Re: Connecting OER tic-toc-tac for my 68

Check out my post: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=158264 It includes some wiring harness info but should have what you need. You have the tack and clock labeled correctly. The 8 o'clock is switched power I believe (red wire with white stripe).

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
larryh56 is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 10, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nev
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 499
Re: Connecting OER tic-toc-tac for my 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryh56 View Post
Check out my post: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=158264 It includes some wiring harness info but should have what you need. You have the tack and clock labeled correctly. The 8 o'clock is switched power I believe (red wire with white stripe).
Thanks mate.
I wasn't thinking right.
Thought I had to hook up to those posts at 12 o'clock and 8 o'clock.
But of course you must be right that the power and signal come through the plug behind the speedo and via the PCB to the Tach.
I'll give it a go and give you an update tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

Rgds,
Nev

Almost finished (?) 68 Camaro
383 stroker
T350
12 bolt Moser
nev68 is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 10, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nev
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 499
Re: Connecting OER tic-toc-tac for my 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by nev68 View Post
Thanks mate.
I wasn't thinking right.
Thought I had to hook up to those posts at 12 o'clock and 8 o'clock.
But of course you must be right that the power and signal come through the plug behind the speedo and via the PCB to the Tach.
I'll give it a go and give you an update tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.
I've connected the aftermarket (Autometer) console guages and everything works.
Fitted the tach (Tic-toc-tac) and I have the clock working but the tach doesn't work.
How do I check the tach is OK?
Can I bypass the wiring and hook it directly to the HEI distributor?

Rgds,
Nev

Almost finished (?) 68 Camaro
383 stroker
T350
12 bolt Moser
nev68 is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 10, 11:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry
 
larryh56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Washington
Posts: 1,503
Re: Connecting OER tic-toc-tac for my 68

Your welcome and yes you could hook the tach directly to the distributor. However you may want to check to make sure you have the wiring correct first. Is it a GM HEI? Do you have anything else connected like a MSD box? Is it connected to the tach pin in the cap? I am running a separate coil so it is easy to make sure it is on the -ve post. You could test the wiring for continuity between the tach and distributor. Be careful you don't want to fry your new tach!

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
larryh56 is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 10, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nev
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 499
Re: Connecting OER tic-toc-tac for my 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryh56 View Post
Your welcome and yes you could hook the tach directly to the distributor. However you may want to check to make sure you have the wiring correct first. Is it a GM HEI? Do you have anything else connected like a MSD box? Is it connected to the tach pin in the cap? I am running a separate coil so it is easy to make sure it is on the -ve post. You could test the wiring for continuity between the tach and distributor. Be careful you don't want to fry your new tach!
Hi,
I've been through the wires several times just to check if the wiring is correct.
It seems to be OK to me when compared to the diagrams I have. (but I'm no expert)
I have a MSD HEI distributor and the tach wire appears to be connected and I can get a circuit (checked with multi meter) all the way to the PCB connector.
I am with you, I don't want to fry the new tach so I'll have to get an expert involved.
Thanks for your input.

Rgds,
Nev

Almost finished (?) 68 Camaro
383 stroker
T350
12 bolt Moser
nev68 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome