Fuel tank sending unit question - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 10, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Fuel tank sending unit question

Just took the tank out of my '68 a few weeks ago. I was planning on re-using the original sending unit (that worked fine). It's stamped "90 ohms" on the steel cover that's over the float hinge so I assume it's original.

When I took it out, I noticed that the float when up and down effortlessly. When I changed the sock on the sender, the float would move up and down as I turned the send over and back. When I looked at it yesterday, I noticed that the float now has some resistance to it. It kind of needs to be "nudged" by hand to move. Almost as if it has a few sticking points during it's length of travel as it's moving up and down.

As it's been out of the fuel tank for a few weeks, could it have tightened up a little for some reason - maybe because it's not actually in the gas? Will it loosen back up once it's immersed in fuel again?

Finally, I can probably spray some lubricant inside the steel cover that's over the hinge. It doesn't look like it's totally sealed as the seems around the cover have slight gaps to them. Would that be a good idea or no? I would think that's where the resistor is housed and I'm no sure if I'd be doing any damage to it giving it a few squirts of something like WD-40.

Dan
'68 Camaro Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 04:04 AM
Guess

Re: Fuel tank sending unit question

If it sits in fuel for years and years, a little sticker-remover isn't going to hurt it at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 06:07 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

I just put in new one in my 69 since i was replacing the tank. The battered looking old one worked fine. Well lets just say the new one is junk. Repair the old one if you can.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Dave

Where did you get the new one? Who made it - do you know? I just ordered one from Rock Auto. Spectra Premium - Looks as though people have had good luck with it.

I'm wondering why all of sudden it's starting to stick throughout the length of travel. Maybe now that's its out of the fuel, it doesn't have any lubrication? Seems to me it should move freely whether it's in or out of the tank...

Dan
'68 Camaro Convertible

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Just talked to Dan at this place:

http://www.tristarrradiator.com/

Good guy. Knows his stuff. I'll probably end up sending my original to him for an overhaul. Some of the horror stories about the repo senders don't give me too much of a comfort level. I don't want to have to do the job twice - that's for sure....

Dan
'68 Camaro Convertible

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 11:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Christopher

My Camaro had a fuel cell in the trunk when I purchased it. I bought a new tank and sender (Spectra Premium tank and Stainless sender) the car is far from being done, But the sender seems to move properly, and a ohm meter shows proper resistance. Hope I am one of the lucky ones. (Usually I'm not) I just don't want to have to pull this thing back out after it is full of fuel. Now that would be a pita!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 10, 04:52 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

My tank is the spectra stainless tank. Fits really good but the gas cap doesnt seal very well. Hte sender was the generic 50$ one from the Ricks. Most people had good luck with it. When comes to hotrods im never the lucky one. Id like to get my original restored. A new gm ones is 189$. The vendor offered to give kme my money back and said if i get it out within the next couple of minths they will honor it. I just dont have time now. How much was it to restore your old one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode