1967 Camaro Fac Tach-what powers it? What is this wire? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bucky

Red face 1967 Camaro Fac Tach-what powers it? What is this wire?

I installed the factor tach and bought a new wiring harness. The plug that comes up to the speedometer has a wire coming off of it and I'm not sure if this powers the tach or if the tach is powered through the plug that goes into the speedometer?
I've attached a picture. I know that the yelow wire that goes to the console gauges is for the low fuel (not used) and the other yellow is for the radio so what is this one for?
http://s867.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSC01174.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 10, 12:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker
Re: 1967 Camaro Fac Tach-what powers it? What is this wire?

What color is it? Light green? If so, it's the high beam indicator light.

The tach is not powered through the plug. It has a plug/post on the back of it in the lower right hand corner as veiwed from the rear... An additional wire plugs into/mounts on that post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 10, 12:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingskibiker View Post
What color is it? Light green? If so, it's the high beam indicator light.

The tach is not powered through the plug. It has a plug/post on the back of it in the lower right hand corner as veiwed from the rear... An additional wire plugs into/mounts on that post.
OK, I blew it. The tach signal is in the connector. It is routed through the circuit board to the post w/ the nut on it in the 12 o'clock position on the back of the tach. The stud/post is the power for the clock... Sorry.

This is all according to this thread:
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=158264

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 10, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bucky

That's what I thought too? I also looked at that post but it was for a 68. SO what is that yellow wire for? Is it for a cheater speedo?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 10, 04:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Yah, I only have '68 stuff... Do you have a wire leading to the high beam light? What does the socket look like? Would it hold a bulb? Is it a connector?

I've seen wiring diagrams for the console. I wonder if the rest of the wiring diagram book (RS & console gauges) has the cluster diagram??? I could try to see what's under my dash. But it's a '68...

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 10, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bucky

I have the green wire and that one isn't the issue. I have another yellow one, take a look at the picture....
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 10, 06:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

It looks white in the picture.... Anyway, what does the socket on the end look like? Does it hold a bulb? Does it have a spade? What? Sorry, I really don't see any single yellow wires in any of the diagrams. They all go to multiple wire plugs. The heater switch and turn signal/column, for instance.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 10, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bucky

it's a socket and I also looked in my AIM and others with no luck?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 10, 07:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

I'm stumped... Could it be the body harness end for the radio power lead (yellow wire from radio harness would plug into it. plug/spade: UPC U57 sheet A5 item #8)? You did mention two yellow wires in your original post. One to low fuel (though, I think that one is in another connector and not a single wire) and radio. Is this a third yellow wire? Sorry, I am more confused now... :-P

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 10, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bucky

yep, three yellow wires. Onr to the console gauge, one to the radio, and one to?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 10, 09:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

No new ideas... Sorry. Well, you could test it to see what it does under specific instances. Such as 12V w/ the key in ignition, accessory, and/or off. Once it has power, you could pull fuses until it doesn't. Then, figure out what items are powered through that fuse... Seems like a PIA. I guess if everything that you want to work is working, then tuck that puppy away and move on. lol

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 10, 06:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Hey, I wrote another guy that was having wiring issues w/ his factory gauges. He had an extra yellow wire, too! He said he eventually figured out that it plugged into the dash gauges at the low fuel warning indicator. Does the cluster have an open spot for it? I would have thought that light is powered by the printed circuit, not an extra wire...

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 10, 07:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

It has been several years since I installed the tach and guages in my '67. I used a conversion harness. The yellow wire is the low fuel warning light.

Steve

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 10, 08:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Right. But I think he has narrowed things down already. Unless he has used an upgrade harness instead of a replacement harness, there is a third yellow wire involved that is a mystery... Then again, if it IS an upgrade harness, that would explan things!

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 10, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bucky

Wow! Great picture, that's what I'm looking for!
Conincidence is yesterday I contacted the company that made the "upgrade" harness that I installed. I had lots of issues when I got everything hooked up. Interior lights were flashing and headlights were always on when I connected the battery, not good!
I got it figured out that the plug that came from the front light harness was assembled UPSIDE DOWN! All the wires were 180 deg out. I contacted the company and I'm waiting for final word from them but I also sent them pictures of the whole deal...
When I was talking to them they stated that the yellow wire is a back up low fuel warning pig tail in addition to the one that's under my console gauges.
I have 2 pig tails for the low fuel warning...
CASE CLOSED!
Thanks for your help guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1967 camaro console

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode