Msd 6AL - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 10, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Msd 6AL

Well I tried to put in a MSD 6AL today with no luck. Rechecked all wiring several times, & still wouldn't start. Will these things work with a stock HEI coil? I just don't know where to start troubleshooting. This is on a SB chevy with stock HEI distributor & internal voltage regulator alternator. Any suggestions would help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 10, 06:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Re: Msd 6al

Check out this link from MSD TECH.

http://www.msdignition.com/page.aspx?id=3206
http://www.msdignition.com/StarterAp...aspx?wiki=1283

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 10, 06:08 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

Are you still running the module in the distributor? GM had a few different modules and I believe you have to wire the MSD differently depending on how many pins on it.

69 Camaro, 3650lbs., 400ci, TH400, Coan 10" converter, 3.50 gear
D1SC, pump gas, 9:1, 10 PSI, Water/Meth injection
1.325 60', 5.988 @ 115.4 (carb)
Switched to Super Sniper EFI 2019

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 10, 06:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
V.J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg O View Post
Are you still running the module in the distributor? GM had a few different modules and I believe you have to wire the MSD differently depending on how many pins on it.
Although mine isn't a GM distributor. I have the 6al also and had to remove the module from my distributor. Could be your problem.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 10, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
The module is removed, I still don't get it

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 10, 08:52 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

was it a 4 pin module? I believe with the 5 or 7 pin modules you have to leave it in there and wire it differently. I am out of town so I can't get to my instructions.....

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 10, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
was it a 4 pin module? I believe with the 5 or 7 pin modules you have to leave it in there and wire it differently. I am out of town so I can't get to my instructions.....
It is a 4 pin module, I called MSD & got some help, had the small red wire in the wrong place & the tach wire not going to the new MSD 6AL box.
I always learn the hard way. Anyway thanks for the info everyone.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 10, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I was told after installing a MSD 6AL that it was a waste of money, that there is no performance gain. It just helps keep the plugs clean at idle. Is this true or not?

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 10, 06:27 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

The answer is it depends. I was never a user of an ignition box. Thought it was all marketing hype. I was running low 7's in the 1/8th just fine with my Pertronix distributor.

Then I added boost. I still thought I was fine. Then I added water methanol injection. Whenever the water/meth would activate I could feel the car nose over a little. I spoke to my vendor and he said it was the ignition. I was skeptical but thought I would give it a try. I added an MSD 6AL2 Programmable box. With no other changes the car picked up a tenth. I just didn't have enough juice to light the fire.

Soooo...if you don't have enough juice to adequately light the fire then yes, an MSD box will give it more power. If you have plenty of fire as it is, the box won't help any.

If your signiture is right and you have an honest 650 HP naturally aspirated I assume you have high compression and will benefit from the MSD. Do you take it to the track?

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 10, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
The answer is it depends. I was never a user of an ignition box. Thought it was all marketing hype. I was running low 7's in the 1/8th just fine with my Pertronix distributor.

Then I added boost. I still thought I was fine. Then I added water methanol injection. Whenever the water/meth would activate I could feel the car nose over a little. I spoke to my vendor and he said it was the ignition. I was skeptical but thought I would give it a try. I added an MSD 6AL2 Programmable box. With no other changes the car picked up a tenth. I just didn't have enough juice to light the fire.

Soooo...if you don't have enough juice to adequately light the fire then yes, an MSD box will give it more power. If you have plenty of fire as it is, the box won't help any.

If your signiture is right and you have an honest 650 HP naturally aspirated I assume you have high compression and will benefit from the MSD. Do you take it to the track?
Yes I am still trying to get all the safety stuff installed so I can drag race at my track, which is now an NHRA track. I went once to tech it in & they said "What does it run?" I said "I have never raced it but I'm guessing low 10's" They looked at the car & said "You need a 8 point roll cage, tranny shield, catch can, aftermarket axles, 5 point harness, snell helmet, fire retardent jacket & then you can race." So it is almost complete.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 10, 12:21 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro434 View Post
Yes I am still trying to get all the safety stuff installed so I can drag race at my track, which is now an NHRA track. I went once to tech it in & they said "What does it run?" I said "I have never raced it but I'm guessing low 10's" They looked at the car & said "You need a 8 point roll cage, tranny shield, catch can, aftermarket axles, 5 point harness, snell helmet, fire retardent jacket & then you can race." So it is almost complete.
Well, if you just want to grudge race to see what the car will do, most tracks only require a catch can on the radiator, seat belts and a helmet to run it. If you want to compete then yes you must check off the laundry list.

Also a member of
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 10, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown 67 View Post
Well, if you just want to grudge race to see what the car will do, most tracks only require a catch can on the radiator, seat belts and a helmet to run it. If you want to compete then yes you must check off the laundry list.
Not my track, they require you have everything the NHRA rule book says. They won't let you even make 1 pass if your car doesn't meet NHRA rules. They said at the beginning of the season the NHRA rules would be strictly enforced.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode