How many amp alternator? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 10, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tad

How many amp alternator?

adding vintage air system, gear vendors overdrive (ie electric shift) and hid lights to 68 camaro. How many amp alternator will i need?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 10, 10:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Re: How many amp alternator?

around the 110a rating ..minimum?..factory was what 49-60a?
My 69 has pw/pdl/cruise/AC/dse headlights/cd/nav/dse wipers and i run 160a in mine..

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 10, 10:09 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

The 105Amp alternator upgrade should be plenty.
I have MSD 6al,Aeromotive electric fuel pump,and an electric fan (2500cfm?) and no issues.
You should be fine.

https://www.camaros.net/techref/ftecref14.html

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

Last edited by DOUG G; Apr 25th, 10 at 10:21 AM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 10, 01:10 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

From memory the fact a/c had a rated 64 amp
Which could/should have been a little higher, does do the job with std lights, sterio etc

If have or intend to add a bigger sterio, self locking doors, alarms and other goodies definately go to the 105....go to it anyway is the best recommendation.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 10, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tad

where do I find a 110 + amp alt? That would be correct for my restoration? Cowl tag date is o5E 1968.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 10, 06:49 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

Tad,

I am not sure how "correct" you need the alternator to be. Is just a DL style enough or does it have to have matching numbers?

I converted to a 12si which I assume you cannot do. I mention that because I had bought one of these last year: http://storesense1.mysuperpageshosti...ail.bok?no=745

After the 12si conversion I don't need it any more and will sell it on the cheap if you are intereted. It bolts right up to the factory harness and has about 200 miles on it. I can PM you pictures if you want.

69 Camaro, 3650lbs., 400ci, TH400, Coan 10" converter, 3.50 gear
D1SC, pump gas, 9:1, 10 PSI, Water/Meth injection
1.325 60', 5.988 @ 115.4 (carb)
Switched to Super Sniper EFI 2019
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 10, 09:46 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Chances are you can swap over the interals.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 10, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tad

Greg O
What do you have for sale? What is DL style? What is the 12 si conversion? I would like to see pics of what you have and a price. email is [email protected]
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 10, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tad

Steptoe
Do you mean finding a 110 amp alt and using my case?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 10, 03:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Most alternator rebuild shops can change the brushes and amps to boost up to 110...another words redo the internals..
But if you are adding the above(ac and gear drive) just change the alt to a csi..

BILL D.
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 10, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tad

What is csi?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 10, 07:51 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

Tad,

DL is the 'type' of alternator used in the 60's. They have external regulators.

The "SI" series is the next generation alternator that started in the mid 70s. The 10SI was first and typically came in 64 amp. The 12 SI was the next generation and has 78 or 94 amps. These have an internal regulator and require modification to your existing harness. If you are doing a factory type restoration you probably don't want to convert to an SI series. If factory appearance is not a problem then go for it.

The biggest advantage of the SI alternators is the output at low RPMs. A DL style will put out about 8 amps at idle where an SI will put out 35 or more. the SI is up to full output at about 1800 RPM where the DL requires significantly more.

If you want to learn more, go here: http://madelectrical.com/electricaltech/delcoremy.shtml

69 Camaro, 3650lbs., 400ci, TH400, Coan 10" converter, 3.50 gear
D1SC, pump gas, 9:1, 10 PSI, Water/Meth injection
1.325 60', 5.988 @ 115.4 (carb)
Switched to Super Sniper EFI 2019
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 10, 08:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Frahm View Post
What is csi?
csi is the brand alt and staters.. ill see if i can find you a link..its kinda like the torquemaster brand line..

BILL D.
SEMPER FI

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 10, 08:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

I just picked up a Summit's 140 AMP for $132. I haven't installed it yet but I'll be running:
BeCool Dual fans, MSD 6AL-2, Dual Amps, Retro-Electro light doors

Matt

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 10, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tad

It sounds like the 12si is the way to go. Do I go with a one wire setup? What is a good price ? Just to make sure my local shop isnt to high.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode