Turn signals - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 10, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Dave

Turn signals

I recently rewired my ignition and rerouted a lot of wires under the dash of the 68 SS and now my turn signals dont work but my hazzards do. im not familiar with this turnsignal system and i know i wont find the test procedure on alldata haha. where to start. and identifix did not help much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 10, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Dave

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 10, 05:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker
Re: Turn signals

Hmmm, to start, I'd check the signal flasher(s) and fuses... One can also check for cut or damaged wires. Then, on to the fun stuff!

Here are the wires that run to the turn switch in the column. This would be to the semi-circular connector.

Gray - light for column shift, may not be present.
Black - horn
Dark Blue - goes to right front turn signal/park light
Light Blue - goes to left front turn signal/park light
Brown - goes to hazard light circuit
Pink - goes to signal flasher, not to semi-circle connector (included for completeness)
Purple - comes from signal flasher, goes to turn switch
Yellow - goes to left hand tail light
Dark Green - goes to right hand tail light
White - comes from brake light switch, goes to turn switch
Orange - goes to brake light switch, not to connector

So, the way I understand it to work is that when the brakes are pressed, the power comes from the brake switch, through the turn signal switch, to the two tail lights. If a turn signal is selected, the one signal to that "brake" light is removed and the power to that "turn" light now comes from the signal flasher, through the turn switch. The hazard circuit is it's own circuit. I'm pretty sure if one presses the brakes while it is active, they will stop flashing...

And so the troubleshooting begins! Fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 28th, 10, 07:28 PM
Tech Team
Mark

My turn signal comes on but does not flash. I have replace the flasher module with a $2.99 thermal 552 model from autozone but still when hit the turn signal the light stays solid on and not flash. I have checked all the lights in the four corners and all are working. No dead bulbs. Any suggestion on what to do next?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 28th, 10, 10:23 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Check your gounds, weird things happen with bad grounds.

Oh from memory there is 1 flasher for the indicators and another for the warning lights ???
havnt been under there for a few yrs now....I replaced my flasher unit for an electoronic one because when towing the speed of the indicators messed up.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 28th, 10, 11:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadtx View Post
My turn signal comes on but does not flash. I have replace the flasher module with a $2.99 thermal 552 model from autozone but still when hit the turn signal the light stays solid on and not flash. I have checked all the lights in the four corners and all are working. No dead bulbs. Any suggestion on what to do next?
I had the exact same thing and the main ground for the instrument was not good. Make sure the ground to the center screw on the top is making a real good connection on both ends.

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 29th, 10, 03:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

There is 2 flashers. The one on the fuse block is for the flashers and the turn signal flasher is above the radio to the right of it in a little clippy thing.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 29th, 10, 02:32 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
There is 2 flashers. The one on the fuse block is for the flashers and the turn signal flasher is above the radio to the right of it in a little clippy thing.
yeah thats right..memory comes back now...I swaped the fuse block one and couldnt figure out why my indicators where wrong speed with the trailewr on...it was only after looking at the wiring circuits if found the indicator one up under the dash to the left of the ashtray

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 29th, 10, 11:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

Yah, check the flasher (you could test the 4 ways to see if they work, too) first, grounds second, and then start messing w/ the turn switch. But the usual fail mode for the switch is a bit different...

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode