Original harnesses - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old May 1st, 10, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Satatic
Original harnesses

I use to think nothing of my original harnesses because I would just get one of those classic update sets. But the further along I get the more I don't want to spend $500.

My under dash harness is original with only 1 hack. An orange wire is clipped near the end. Probably goes to a light bulb. The rear harness has a couple of the light sockets missing. Otherwise in good shape.

My questions:

The car was a no console gauge, no tach, manual trans car.
It will be a console gauge, repo tach, automatic, horse shoe shifter car.

What do I need to do? I see console gauge adapter harnesses for sale. I see automatic trans harnesses for sale etc. I am guessing that my wire harness will not work and my best option is to just get the classic update harness. Wanted to run it by you guys though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old May 1st, 10, 04:46 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Re: Original harnesses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satatic View Post
I use to think nothing of my original harnesses because I would just get one of those classic update sets. But the further along I get the more I don't want to spend $500.

My under dash harness is original with only 1 hack. An orange wire is clipped near the end. Probably goes to a light bulb. The rear harness has a couple of the light sockets missing. Otherwise in good shape.

My questions:

The car was a no console gauge, no tach, manual trans car.
It will be a console gauge, repo tach, automatic, horse shoe shifter car.

What do I need to do? I see console gauge adapter harnesses for sale. I see automatic trans harnesses for sale etc. I am guessing that my wire harness will not work and my best option is to just get the classic update harness. Wanted to run it by you guys though.
I'm in the same boat. I have yet to see any bad wiring in my original harness. the only reason I want to put in new wire is to keep from doing it later. But, other than the motor everything else is original and I'm not adding a lot more power, not even a new sound system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old May 1st, 10, 06:19 PM
Kevin

Re: Original harnesses

Guys, restoring a harness is not hard, just tedious. You take note of how the harness is shaped, direction of wraps and any special pigtail wraps. Then you take it apart, cleaning all connectors and checking all wires (ohm gauge). Then rewrap it. What it really takes is spare harnesses to replace any broken/missing wires/connectors.

Satatic, since you are changing a lot with your harness, your could buy a used auto/console one and restore it with your old one, or just buy the correct harness (Factory Fit makes nice correct ones!)

Couple of notes, sometimes wires ohm out good, but then dont pass the current. You have to test them under power too. Also make sure the ground wires are good, these systems live on grounds.

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode