High beam switch melted, hot! Need some help - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 10, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

High beam switch melted, hot! Need some help

Well, I finally got the headlights to work on the 67 RS I bought a few weeks ago. I pulled back the carpet and noticed that the plastic connector going to the foot activated high beam switch was somewhat melted. I jiggled the wires down there and got the headlights working, but the wires are very hot to the touch, so obviously I can't drive it that way.

does anyone know why these wires are hot enough to melt plastic and what I need to do to fix it? Electrical stuff is like a big, confusing black hole to me. Any help would be really appreciated!

And, no, the doors don't work either, but I'll worry about that another day!

One foot in the grave, the other on a banana peel. . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 10, 05:40 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
Re: High beam switch melted, hot! Need some help

The fact that you can "jiggle" the wire and they work should tell you right then the issue. There's a loose connection. This will cause a larger amp draw, thus heating up the wire enough to melt the plastic covering. Pull the switch out and lightly sand off the connecting spades, then replace the conncectors on the wires leading to the head lights. This should resolve the issue.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 10, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Well, that sounds easy enough, and I suppose it should have been obvious. See, this is what I meant about electrical issues being a big, confusing black hole to me. I gotta learn this remedial stuff.

Thanks!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 10, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

I cleaned the male contacts on the switch but, of course, couldn't really clean the female contacts on the semi-melted plastic connector. The headlights now stay on whether or not I jiggle the wires (so that's good) but the wire still gets hot. I think I'm going to cut off the connector and just get some nice watertight crimp connectors and connect each wire to the foot switch individually.

The more I dig into this car, the more I realize what a colossal error it was to buy a car that hadn't been driven for 3-4 years, and was wet inside when I went to look at it.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 10, 04:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

They sell the plug that goes on the dimmer switch. Try Classic Industries or Ricks. They should have them.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 10, 04:44 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmanstunnel View Post
The more I dig into this car, the more I realize what a colossal error it was to buy a car that hadn't been driven for 3-4 years, and was wet inside when I went to look at it.
Not an error,, just a learning curve with challenges. If it was easy to do, it wouldn't be as fun to drive around and show it off when it's finished.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 4th, 10, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantooch View Post
Not an error,, just a learning curve with challenges. If it was easy to do, it wouldn't be as fun to drive around and show it off when it's finished.
Good way of looking at it. I gotta admit, I LOVE driving it! I just wish it didn't have the rust I'm finding. Oh well - I always wanted to learn how to weld. . .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode