70 Camaro no horns - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 5th, 10, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

70 Camaro no horns

my 70 camaro rs has no horns does any1 have a wiring diagram that might help me in buying 2 after market horns than installing it? Imnot sure if the wheel itself has the set up like the contact wires etc for the horn either?

it about helping others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 7th, 10, 05:49 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

Re: 70 camaro no horns

The 70 Camaro share the same Wiring as the 1st Gen. You can bench test the horns by running a jumper from the Positive Terminal of the Battery to the Green Terminal on the Horns. If the horns work it could possible be the Horn Relay which when grounding the BLACK Wires from the horn Relay will either sound the Horn or the Key Buzzer. If this fails it's a Defective Horn Relay. If the Horn Relay test works it's probably the Horn Ground Contact Circuit in the Steering Wheel in which case you may have to remove the Steering Wheel and repair the Carbon Stick to Ring assembly if the Pad Ground look good.

If you using an Aftermarket Steering Wheel it could complicate matters.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Z15CAM; May 7th, 10 at 05:59 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 7th, 10, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z15CAM View Post
The 70 Camaro share the same Wiring as the 1st Gen. You can bench test the horns by running a jumper from the Positive Terminal of the Battery to the Green Terminal on the Horns. If the horns work it could possible be the Horn Relay which when grounding the BLACK Wires from the horn Relay will either sound the Horn or the Key Buzzer. If this fails it's a Defective Horn Relay. If the Horn Relay test works it's probably the Horn Ground Contact Circuit in the Steering Wheel in which case you may have to remove the Steering Wheel and repair the Carbon Stick to Ring assembly if the Pad Ground look good.

If you using an Aftermarket Steering Wheel it could complicate matters.
Sorry i think you are misunderstanding me but i have no horns at all is what im saying nothing thus i dont even know what is in the steering wheel etc if the contacts are there or anything there are no horns thus i need to find out what i need to do to install them..

For starters how do you pry off the steering wheel?

it about helping others

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 9th, 10, 08:25 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

Until you get a set of Horns you can use a 12v DC Light Bulb in place of the horns to test the Circuit.

As far as pulling the Steering wheel it depends on whether it is Stock or Aftermarket. Stock Wheels have 2, approx 1/4" Fine Thread, holes in which you can use a Fabricated or Mfgr'd Steering Wheel Puller.

Except for a Lower Extension, both the the 69 and 70 use Identical Columns and Electrics.

1st GEN Camaros are basically a Re-Skinned Nova sharing then same Cowl and Sub Frame; where as, the 70 was GM's 1st Complete Design of the Camaro Concept making the Body Unique from other cars. Aside form the low Numbers in the 1/2 Year of Production, the 70 has many components that are Specific to the Year and therefore difficult to restore today. The Sub Frame is Specific as are the A Arms. They use the Larger Ball Joints from a 69 Chevelle ... etc.

Aside from a Re-Designed Shell with a lower and wider stance Engineered for Performance Enthusiast and T/A Racing it offered a more Powerful Larger Displacement LT1, the 69 and 70 Z's basically share the same Drive Train.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

Last edited by Z15CAM; May 9th, 10 at 11:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode