retrosound radio problems - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 21st, 10, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

retrosound radio problems

I installed a new Retro sound model one radio in my 70 big block Camaro. One wire from the fuse panel acc, one from the fuse panel bat, and one to ground. The radio worked for a week and then died and will not power on. I returned it to retrosound and they sent me a new radio. I tested the power wires from the fuse panel with a volt meter and they are providing the correct power. The new radio powered up and worked for a week and then it died. In both cases after the radios died they would sometimes turn on for about 10 seconds and then die. What the heck is going on? All my connections are good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 21st, 10, 06:18 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Re: retrosound radio problems

That's why I deal with Woodradios. He does not use the inferior internal components the others do. His prices are higher but the quality of his units reflects it. Send him your core or he'll provide the unit. He also purchases radios if you have something he needs. Perhaps there is someone else who provides a quality unit but I am unaware of them. http://www.woodradios.com/
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 21st, 10, 07:50 PM
Senior Tech

Check your charging system voltage under a variety of conditions such as 1) sitting idle 2) running down the road 3) after a hot cruise. If you've got a voltage regulator problem you may see one of these 3 tests showing more than 14.5V or so system voltage. Depending on how well made the guts are, it may not like that -- Mallory ignition modules are prime examples of voltage intolerant devices.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 10, 05:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnult View Post
Check your charging system voltage under a variety of conditions such as 1) sitting idle 2) running down the road 3) after a hot cruise. If you've got a voltage regulator problem you may see one of these 3 tests showing more than 14.5V or so system voltage. Depending on how well made the guts are, it may not like that -- Mallory ignition modules are prime examples of voltage intolerant devices.
That's what caused my first Retro radio to die...16 volts at 2000 rpm's.

69 SS, 350/300 h.p., M-20, 12 bolt, matching numbers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 10, 06:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

I've had my retro sound for a while with no issues. Yes, could be a voltage regulator issue so check it at the different conditions outlined above...

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 10, 06:07 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnult View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by reelknots View Post
That's what caused my first Retro radio to die...16 volts at 2000 rpm's.
Had a Harrison radio and a spike burned out the inline fuse and the module on the hot lead. The radio still worked after bypassing the module. Besides being an inferior unit with horrific sound, it's another reeason I prefer to use a quality unit built by someone who sets their standards higher than others.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 10, 01:33 PM
Michael

JT,

Thanks for the post, please contact our Tech manager, Chris Peterson about your issues Monday--- ([email protected] 888-325-1555 ), we always recommend that installers use a volt meter to check voltage at idle, revving or at rest. We are very proactive about our tech support and are very detailed in our responses, I concur with the overvoltage / possible bad regulator scenario mentioned by some of the previous posters, if you're on your second radio, this warrants some immediate tech intervention. over voltage is common and believe it or not, we've seen reverse polarity on batteries, and also MSD/Pertronix ignitions interfering with the vehicle ground systems--- older cars present lots of challenges with 12 volt electronics, however we are happy to help overcome your issues and make this right for you.

many thanks,

Michael Robbins
Product manager
www.retrosoundusa.com
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 10, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

x

Last edited by jtwoods4; May 22nd, 10 at 10:42 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 10, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETROSOUNDUSA View Post
JT,

Thanks for the post, please contact our Tech manager, Chris Peterson about your issues Monday--- ([email protected] 888-325-1555 ), we always recommend that installers use a volt meter to check voltage at idle, revving or at rest. We are very proactive about our tech support and are very detailed in our responses, I concur with the overvoltage / possible bad regulator scenario mentioned by some of the previous posters, if you're on your second radio, this warrants some immediate tech intervention. over voltage is common and believe it or not, we've seen reverse polarity on batteries, and also MSD/Pertronix ignitions interfering with the vehicle ground systems--- older cars present lots of challenges with 12 volt electronics, however we are happy to help overcome your issues and make this right for you.

many thanks,

Michael Robbins
Product manager
www.retrosoundusa.com
Turns out that I see some AC current in the wires coming from the fuse panel. I made another post about this issue. But basically the BAT and ACC from the fuse panel have some AC currnet readings. I think this is the problem. DC voltage is always between 12 and 14 at off, idle, and 2500 rpm.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 10, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Turns out I think I can solder a low pass capacitor across the power leads to remove the unwanted AC noise:

One frequent application of the capacitive low-pass filter principle is in the design of circuits having components or sections sensitive to electrical “noise.” As mentioned at the beginning of the last chapter, sometimes AC signals can “couple” from one circuit to another via capacitance (Cstray) and/or mutual inductance (Mstray) between the two sets of conductors. A prime example of this is unwanted AC signals (“noise”) becoming impressed on DC power lines supplying sensitive circuits:

Noise is coupled by stray capacitance and mutual inductance into “clean” DC power.

After coupling with the AC noise source via stray mutual inductance and stray capacitance, though, the voltage as measured at the load terminals is now a mix of AC and DC, the AC being unwanted. Normally, one would expect the radio load to be precisely identical to power source, because the uninterrupted conductors connecting them should make the two sets of points electrically common. However, power conductor impedance allows the two voltages to differ, which means the noise magnitude can vary at different points in the DC system.

If we wish to prevent such “noise” from reaching the DC load, all we need to do is connect a low-pass filter near the load to block any coupled signals. In its simplest form, this is nothing more than a capacitor connected directly across the power terminals of the load, the capacitor behaving as a very low impedance to any AC noise, and shorting it out. Such a capacitor is called a decoupling capacitor.

Decoupling capacitor, applied to load, filters noise from DC power supply.

A cursory glance at a crowded printed-circuit board (PCB) will typically reveal decoupling capacitors scattered throughout, usually located as close as possible to the sensitive DC loads. Capacitor size is usually 0.1 ĶF or more, a minimum amount of capacitance needed to produce a low enough impedance to short out any noise. Greater capacitance will do a better job at filtering noise, but size and economics limit decoupling capacitors to meager values.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode