Question... - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 10, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question...

I just had an alternator rebuilt at a professional facility.They stated that it was good and gave me a 1 year warranty on the part. As a precaution I took it to my local parts store to have it tested it on their machine and it passed with flying colors. They tested it three times. I bolt it in my car, and while driving the radio slowly starts to fade away. I stop the car and decided to take a rather unrecommended test. With the car running, I disconnected the power cable from the battery, and the car dies.

Usually when this happens, its a clear sign that the alternator is bad because thats whats supplying power to the car whle its running. The alternator was tested good, but the car still wants to die after being driven for a while.

What do you think could be causing this?

When you buy an American car, you provide work for a man and his family for three months. -Jay Leno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 10, 03:30 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: Question...

Are you 100% sure the wiring is correct and the terminals clean ?

I take it this is why you had it rebuilt in the first place, same thing happened before ?

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 10, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG G View Post
Are you 100% sure the wiring is correct and the terminals clean ?

I take it this is why you had it rebuilt in the first place, same thing happened before ?
Yes.. I checked and made double sure! Also,the last time I had this problem, It was on an 1985 Plymouth Reilant which had an external voltage regulator. The voltage regulator itself was bad. This alternator I just installed has a built in regulator, and it was proven to be good!

When you buy an American car, you provide work for a man and his family for three months. -Jay Leno

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 10, 08:44 PM
Senior Tech
bill

to do that test you supposed to disconnect negative terminal not positive. but best would be with a volt meter on battery.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 10, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereitis67 View Post
to do that test you supposed to disconnect negative terminal not positive. but best would be with a volt meter on battery.
I'll go back outside first thing in the morning and try it again with the negative off.

Either way though, the battery is only there to start the car. Once started, the alternator is supposed to keep it running correct?

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 24th, 10, 02:32 AM
____

Garage

To re-charge and supply needed electric

You said the Alt. has internal regulator ? Did you remove the external reg ?

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 24th, 10, 06:17 AM
Senior Tech
Chuck

Do not disconnect the battery with the car running to test the alternator! This causes the alternator to over work and may damage it. Find an automotive repair shop that that has a load tester that can check your battery and charging system in the car running.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 24th, 10, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well guys, I kept my fingers crossed and took it back to the guys that rebuilt it for me. They tested it and proved that it was still good. I was at a total loss trying to figure out why this car was running off the battery when the alternator was proven to be good. Come to find out that there is a special 80 AMP alternator fuse in the engine compartment that was blown. I replaced it and put everything back together,and now she FINALLY runs fine.

I took a voltage reading with the engine running and cables securely attached to the battery and got 13.5 volts!

Thanks guys

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 25th, 10, 09:42 AM
Tech Team
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Do not disconnect the battery with the car running to test the alternator! This causes the alternator to over work and may damage it. Find an automotive repair shop that that has a load tester that can check your battery and charging system in the car running.
Thank you chuck. DO NOT TEST ALT by disconnecting battery while car is running. Not much good can come of it , but many bad things can. As shown in this thread the only thing learned from disconnecting the bat cable while running was either the alt was bad or there was another problem. I think we already knew this. You can cause a spark at the battery resulting in an explosion. I have seen it happen and it isn't funny unless it happens to someone you don't like. It was a good thing there was another problem, because if the alt was charging there would have been a voltage surge in the system. If the alt is working you can damage the alt. You can also damage other electronic components, like computers radios and more. Sort of like lightning hitting your house blowing out the TV radio microwave and phone. The battery acts like a big resistor restricting the flow of voltage from the alt. By removing that resistor you will have a voltage surge. Please test electrical systems with the proper techniques and equipment or have someone else do it. You and your car are worth it.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 25th, 10, 01:56 PM
____

Garage

Glad you got it sorted out

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old May 26th, 10, 06:27 PM
Senior Tech

Sounds like a bad ground between the alternator shell and the engine to me.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode