67 camaro no electrical power to any thing - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 27th, 10, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Angry 67 camaro no electrical power to any thing

guys if its not one thing its another.i started my car this morning turned it off came back i got nothing.it acts like it don't even have a battery on it.it has a new harness from front to back.i used a volt meter & i don't have any power to lights gauges or nothing.i tested the alt on the back no power to starter wire no power to ant thing.could it be at the firewall where the 2 outside harness connect to the dash harness.i have power to the little black junction box by battery but nothing at the horn relay. dome lights wont even light up.any ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 27th, 10, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: 67 camaro no electrical power to any thing

Three places:
1. Horn relay buss bar - red wires - remove negative cable and remove wires on buss bar and wire brush all, reassemble.
2. Junction block next to battery - see Step 1.
3. Battery cables, both ends - see Step 1.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 27th, 10, 04:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

Everett is the guy w/ the solutions. I just "think out loud"... If you have power at the junction block and not at the alternator or horn relay (the third common connection is at the voltage regulator), I'd say it's the splice where they are all connected or the terminal at the junction block (#2 above). The splice could be what Everett means my "bus bar"? I thought it was a solder joint. MAYBE during manufacturing it was a cold solder joint and broke (#1 above)? It is also interesting that you don't have power at the starter. Where are your grounds? No paint under them or loose or missing ground connections (really #3 above)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 27th, 10, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Splices in the factory harness are uninsulated crimped barrels.
Horn relay actually has a buss bar and the red wire from the firewall connects there and the red wire from the junction block connects to the other screw.
The alt red wire is crimped to the wire going to the firewall wire.
Inside the dash, the red wire is crimped, "Y", again for headlamp switxch and ignition switch.
Battery post clamps develop an oxidized coating and if one measures with a voltmeter from clamp to post, a voltage will be present - oxidization has set in - inside the clamp and post will be a gun metal gray color rather than silver.

Thanks for the support.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 27th, 10, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i really want to thank you guys for any & all help.what happened was just before i took car out for a spin i had left key on the night before & ran battery down.so i put the battery charger on & it is one that has a 12 volt high start on it.battery was flatter than a pancake.so i let it sit for 7-10 min to charge battery up a little before starting it.well when i came back my ground cable which is 2 awg was hot & my battery was bubbling over.the end on the ground cable that hooks to water pump had a end that was soldered on.it melted the solder & i could pull the cable out of end that was hooked to water pump.the guys at aaw said i had melted the fusible link at the horn relay.like everett said.but after it did this i drove car then parked it then it would not start again.I'm pretty sure its a fusible link.all wiring is new cables & ends are new only 2-300 miles on restoration & everything is new so no corrosion on battery.I'm taking battery to advance & have it checked for a short today.where can a man get the fusible links like aaw used in the harness i have.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 28th, 10, 03:27 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Glad it was something small. Now the question is why did the fusible link melt?
If you had the charger connected at the battery posts, fusible link is out of the circuit.
If charger was connected to engine block for ground, this would explain the ground cable condition.

Simular replacements can be bought from the store's Help aisle.
Original like AAW would be from AAW.

Hint; next time on a dead battery, let it slow charge during dinner or such. Any fast charge will definately cook a battery due to overvoltage.

'
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 28th, 10, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

guys i took battery to have it checked.it had a dead short in battery.so happened i had a 30 amp fuse in black junction block by battery i forgot i put it in so instead of melting my fusible link it blew fuse.the fuse i put in saved my harnesses fusible links.it kills all power to the ignition.i truly appreciate your help.it was where the battery went dead & i jumped it, & thanks again
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 28th, 10, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Cool!

'
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 28th, 10, 06:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

Nice!

P.S. Thanks, Everett, for the prior clarification.

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 28th, 10, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You're welcome.

'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode