beating a dead horse - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 29th, 10, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

beating a dead horse

i know this has been covered so many times on here and ive spent hours reading. but first off im a tad electrically challenged. ok i am about to put a lincoln mark vii fan on my camaro and am a little confused on what all i need to go along with it. i know i need to use a kit with relays but i work at napa and am trying toavaiod paying for an electric fan kit . can some one put it in simple terms for dummies like me on what relay kit i need and do i hook this up on a key switch or a thermostat switch. any help with me appreciated.. links pictures anything.. i will be doin this myself and im not the greatest at electrical work so i want to be sure

My car pics...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dallas car show pics plus some of the cars i am building at work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 29th, 10, 10:38 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: beating a dead horse

I have mine set up to run all the time with the motor running.

You can also use a relay kit for off-road lights (30 Amp+) and wire it up per directions. By the time you buy all the pieces you'd be at or above the same price in most cases.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 29th, 10, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

so all this talk about 70 relays isnt true . i know the mark viii fans are two speeds and i dont have a.c so just want it to run on high speeds. right?. i see some people run off a thermostat and some dont what is the simpliest way to do this.

My car pics...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 29th, 10, 11:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Here is a site for understanding relays. The 5 pin relays are the kind the use for fan setups and Napa has them. Simpliest way is to hook it up off the key switch. When you turn the key on,, it will energize the relay coil. Power goes thru the contacts of the relay normally open contacts and when you send power to the coil of the relay the contacts change state and close sending power to the fan.

The sites say to use 70 amp relays. I dont know how much current they draw on high speed.

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/hweb2.pdf

Website for hooking up a 2 speed taurus fan.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?...and-part-list/

There are other websites for this. Just google ( taurus fan wiring )

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 29th, 10, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

from all the readings i see people are using two temp sensors and two relays. that way they utilize the two speeds. is this the best way to wire this bc i can get two 30/40a relays with harnesses form work and the regular temp sensors. or jsut go out and buy a complete kit from painless or somewhere..if this is this case what is the better kit to go with bc i dont see any of them supporting 70amps

My car pics...

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 29th, 10, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HDA-3654/
what about this kit

My car pics...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode