Ignition Switch Trouble - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 10, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

Ignition Switch Trouble

when I turn my ignition switch my switch doesnt turn back and my starter keeps going, I tried to adjust the Ignition switch on the colum, and when I do the starter just grinds so I set it back, and starter will fire over but the starter keeps running, the starter is still ingaged. When I turn key manuley the engine shuts off, the key isnt spring back like it should. Could this be a bad ignition switch or a bad key switch. or is somthing binding up on the rod. The wires for the turn signals arent in the way, because when I put the ignition switch in one postion the key comes back the way it should, but the starter grinds and it doesnt turn over. andy suggestions please will be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 10, 08:21 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Ignition Switch Trouble

I take it that you have a 1969 Camaro. Do you have a tilt column by chance? If you have a tilt column does tilting it all the way up (or all the way down) make a difference in how the ignition switch or lock cylinder operates?
Jim
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 10, 08:44 AM
Guess

If it's not a tilt column like Jim mentioned, the ignition switch has a spring inside it that returns the rod and the key cylinder back to the RUN position.
The key cylinder turns a sector gear which actuates a brass rack gear that the ignition switch rod attaches to.
It'll be easy to take the ignition switch off and test it. Just remove it and move the switch to the START position manually and see if it returns to RUN by itself. If it does, you're jammed up somewhere else. The spring inside it is very strong so it'll be slightly hard to push it to the START position.

There really isn't much room to adjust the ignition switch on the column, you already tried that. It sounds to me like maybe the spring inside the ignition switch is broken.
I found in mine that the brass rack gear had been bent which made the key cylinder jam in the column. It could be restricting the rod from returning back to RUN when you let off of the key.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 10, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

yes it is a 69 with a tilt colum, and I tested the switch and it is fine and the rod and key switch work fine and the wiring is good I tested all that so I pulled the started out to bench test it and it turns out it is bad, it is pulling to many amp so I am having Napa get me a new reman, the starter I pulled out was a new reman so I never tought to think it was bad, hopefuly that does it, thank's for the replys
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 10, 01:41 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

How big is your key ring?
Heavy bunch of keys haning off the ign over time (yrs) screw ign switches
ign switches do just wear out...replace it.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 10, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

Steps, it is all brand new, I am doing a complete retoration on it

Last edited by jcrich54; Jun 1st, 10 at 04:06 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 10, 06:39 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

It will be either the trans lock behind the wheel binding or miss adjusted or more likely the switch under the dash on top of the column
If the wire is not exactly in the right position, and even if it is, it has been bent/damaged the smallest amount it will cause your issues.
I spent ages under there to get mine right after it was damaged when it was stolen a few yrs back.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode