Volt meter \ electric fan share ACC spade? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 10, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Guess

Question Volt meter \ electric fan share ACC spade?

I lost the radio fuse tonight (no, not a HF special!) which took the ACC spade buss with it. I don't know why yet.

I have the radiator fan and my volt gauge sharing that spade in the fuse block. Can I move the gauge to share the IGN spade with the 12V ignition wire that goes to the coil? I think the meter, fan and radio are too much for that circuit, but I didn't have all three on at the same time.

I gotta figure out why I lost the radio circuit first I guess. How else am I gonna blast Highway Star while I'm cruisin'?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 10, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Volt meter \ electric fan share ACC spade?

Radio has its own fuse and would be turned on by ACC position, if OE. Otherwise, later aftermarket would need a BAT for memory and ACC to turn on.

Radiator fan, I would control by relay using the ACC spade to turn on/energize the relay with fan power coming from the buss bar through the relay contacts to fan motor then to ground. This way, the relay handles the current load and ACC handles the low current of the relay coil.

Voltmeter can remain on the ACC spade as technology today, meters require very little current, milliamperes.

With the above set-up, I believe the original size fuse for ACC and RADIO would more than handle the load. Wire the fan relay just like Steiner suggested earlier today in another post complete with diode to cut down on spiking from the relay coil.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 10, 10:12 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

I hook my radio upto the orange cigerette lighter circuit
That way I can use it with the car turned off

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 10, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Hmmmm.... cigarette lighter circuit! Good idea!
The head unit does have it's own fuse. I have it powered by the ACC blade and the memory powered by BAT blade. The only thing is, it doesn't work when the key is in ACC, which I couldn't care less about.

Everett, I'm going to do that. I didn't really want the fan straight off the fuse block to begin with, but with impatience and all.
I wonder why the fan controller fuse didn't blow? Whatever.... time to get crackin'!
Thanks

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 10, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Wired in the relay\diode last night.
I put the 12V line from it to the junction on the core support. Same with the ground... to the core support.
12GA from relay to power, 14GA to ACC spade, and probably 14GA from the fan controller to the relay.

What size fuse should I have in the 12V line? I had a 10A in there and the fan ran for about 60 seconds before it popped. I'm going to have to contact the fan supplier and ask because the fan isn't marked at all, and the paperwork with it was seriously lacking.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 10, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Close to a Harbor Freight? They have a cheap $5 50-0-50 ammeter and $5 voltmeter.
Plug in the ammeter in series to see the current drawn, then fuse for 150% ex. if fan draws 10 amps, fuse with 15 amp.
Otherwise, I'd probably install a 15 amp and go from there. If it gets hot and doesn't open up, then a 20A.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 10, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Guess

I have a Fluke 87 V, and a Fluke 79. I can set them both up.

Fuse for 150%
..... that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for Everett.
I should have mentioned I put the 10A in because I'm out of 15's. I was gonna throw a 20A in but didn't want to push my luck.

What kind of beer was that again?

*Just spoke with the people who built the radiator\fan combo and he said the fan is rated at a 17A startup draw and runs at about 12A. I'll try a 15A and see how long it lasts.*

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 10, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyStarJoe View Post
I have a Fluke 87 V, and a Fluke 79. I can set them both up.
Fluke's are fused for 10 amps.

'
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 10, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Crap.....
Yer right.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 10, 07:56 PM
Senior Tech

Voltmeters are best on the IGN terminal IMHO. That way you see what your battery voltage is while you're cranking the motor.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 10, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Guess

Good idea. I'll add it to my ever-expanding list.

Tried a 15A fuse for the fan relay and it lasted less time than the 10A I had in yesterday. Threw a 20A in and all is good.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 10, 11:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Radiator fan, I would control by relay using the ACC spade to turn on/energize the relay with fan power coming from the buss bar through the relay contacts to fan motor then to ground. This way, the relay handles the current load and ACC handles the low current of the relay coil.
Sorry to butt in gents, but I'm trying to figure out similar issues. So, Everett, the radio is supposed to plug into the ACC. Got that. But can you dumb-down the rest of that for me? You're not saying that the fan should be spliced into the same line as the radio that goes into the radio, are you?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 10, 03:49 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegeBoy View Post
You're not saying that the fan should be spliced into the same line as the radio that goes into the radio, are you?
No, I'm not. The fan should be relay controlled. The relay coil can be powered by the ACC terminal through the thermostat sensor.

Sensor monitors coolant temp, closes its switch, and closes the fan power relay contacts. Relay contacts close and turn on the fan(s) as fan motor power would come from the horn relay bus bar or battery junction block.

ACC spade > sensor/switch > relay coil > ground - light current drawn.
BAT > relay contacts > to fan > ground - heavy current drawn.

'
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 10, 06:16 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnult View Post
Voltmeters are best on the IGN terminal IMHO. That way you see what your battery voltage is while you're cranking the motor.
I put mine on the cig lighter - it's live all the time and I can see the battery voltage all the time.

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode