trunk battery kit ? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 10, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Lex

trunk battery kit ?

I'd like to see other Camaro rear trunk battery setups. The other day i turned a hard corner and the plastic that the strap was holding it ripped out. I want to redo it but want to see other trunks setups before i do. Can anyone please put pix and info of your trunk battery setups. Thanks and Sorry the lighting in my garage is bad.
Attachment 16257
Attachment 16258

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Camaro / 400 ci / 3.73 10 /
Edelbrock Performer Series 600 cfm no. 14054
Edelbrock Performer EPS Intake Manifold 27014

98 GMC Suburban / 454 V8 / K2500 4x4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Lexlas; Apr 5th, 12 at 07:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 10, 01:54 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Re: trunk battery kit ?

I built a battery box for a buddies 55 Chevy and below is a link to the work I did and how it was made:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...eNQe?start=120

On this battery box, I made my own bottom mounts welded level in the car and then built the box to bolt onto this section.
The box also has a welded in vent tube that is taller than the box and exits through a rubber grommet in the trunk floor.
The box also has an ANL fuse off of the battery to protect the wire off of the battery should it short.
This box will also have a battery tender inside of it so to recharge the battery later, all that has to be done is pull out the retractable reel cord from the underside of the car and plug it into a 110VAC outlet.

On the above link you can page forward to some other shots of the battery box being built and also the retractable 110VAC cord reel being built in with guide rollers.

I'm all for fusing the main power wire off of the battery with something like a 300A ANL fuse and then also running a dedicated ground wire from the battery up to the engine block or tranny. I don't like using the cars sheetmetal for anything but things like the taillights ground, headlight grounds, dome light ground, and so on.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 10, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Lex

Wow that is amazing. I guess it would help if i understood more about the voltage issues. That on and off switch you see in my trunk has a place for a fuse, but every time i put in a fues it just blows right away. Very nice work you did .

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 10, 03:00 PM
Senior Tech

Here's what I used. It's a Summit battery tray.

67RS-zz4 w/ trickflow heads 276hr cam air gap 780 Pro Systems TexRacing 4spd AGR steering SCAT procars 12 bolt eaton posi 3.73's SSBC all around, TT2's Dakota Digital Painless DSE hinges

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 10, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Lex

Wow, that is super clean. I need to get me a setup like that !

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 10, 03:13 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexlas View Post
Wow that is amazing. I guess it would help if i understood more about the voltage issues. That on and off switch you see in my trunk has a place for a fuse, but every time i put in a fues it just blows right away. Very nice work you did .
You will have voltage drops through connections and wire and ways to limit this is by making solid connections and running the proper sized wire.
It's hard to tell on your picture but on all but one car I've wired I have run 1/0 wire for main power from the battery to the starter and then if the car does not have a welded in roll cage I will run a dedicated 1/0 wire from the battery negative to the engine block or tranny. Then to tie the stuff to the car batterys ground I will either run another wire from the battery negative to the body of the car or one from the engine to the firewall.

As far as blowing fuses right away, then something is wrong. Knowing what size fuse and what is it wired to might help.

On your car you might be able to form a steel plate below the battery location and then run up some threaded rod to secure the battery solidly to the car. I hate seeing any batteries in trunks not encased in some type of enclosure. Even the sealed type optima's have pop off vents on them for a reason and I would still have one of those in an enclosure to help contain things if things were to go bad.

The 55 I have been working on with the battery box (and a lot of other things on it) is a long term project that MAYBE later this year will come together and get done.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 10, 07:29 PM
Senior Tech
Don

DSE bracket, behind trim cover

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~

Don't mess with Texas!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 10, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ430DropTop67RS View Post
DSE bracket, behind trim cover

Wow this seems to be the way to go. I will look into getting this same Summit case. But is there a kill switch on this ? I don't see it ? Looks great, thanks.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 10, 08:58 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Under the wheelwell, easy to get to and not seen easily. This is mosty a show car.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~

Don't mess with Texas!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 10, 10:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

One of many setups. Here's the dual battery system with NHRA shutoff.

Heres the shutoff lever that's in the bumper bracket and doesn't make a visible hole that can't be closed up with something like a bolt.

Now here's 60 seconds ago. Note the switch is located at the rear now. The box satisfies the NHRA regardless of the Optima and the relay in front of the box insures that the primary cables are only hot during cranking.
Also the hot wire to the distribution bus is protected by a 60 amp fuse. It's black and hard to see. The wiring came from guys on this site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-076X.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	16275  

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 10, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ficarra View Post
One of many setups. Here's the dual battery system with NHRA shutoff.

Heres the shutoff lever that's in the bumper bracket and doesn't make a visible hole that can't be closed up with something like a bolt.

Now here's 60 seconds ago. Note the switch is located at the rear now. The box satisfies the NHRA regardless of the Optima and the relay in front of the box insures that the primary cables are only hot during cranking.
Also the hot wire to the distribution bus is protected by a 60 amp fuse. It's black and hard to see. The wiring came from guys on this site.
Wow that's a great secret setup there !

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 10, 07:10 PM
Keith

I'm trying to figure out where to mount my battery and realized through the above pics that the best place is on the passenger side (trunk mount).

How are you guys routing your cables up to the front of the car? Are you going inside the car, down the electrical tray under the sill plates and through the firewall at some place? Any help is appreciated.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 10, 08:18 PM
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernMuseum View Post
I'm trying to figure out where to mount my battery and realized through the above pics that the best place is on the passenger side (trunk mount). How are you guys routing your cables up to the front of the car? Are you going inside the car, down the electrical tray under the sill plates and through the firewall at some place? Any help is appreciated.
Here's mine, positive cable thru a rubber grommet and ground to the frame bumper bolt
If you need more pics or want specific area photos let me know

Last edited by Velox; Nov 23rd, 10 at 08:43 PM.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 10, 02:39 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

I have an Optima battery and bought one of these ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/34-Se...Q5fAccessories

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 10, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I mounted the trunk the same direction as Fred has done. Less prone to plate damage upon acceleration, but then battery technology has improved since the install I did.

NHRA also requires min 3/8 bolts/holddowns for the battery to the frame/frame structure. I drilled through the rear rail and used the same all-thread for holding the tray to the floor, rail, and to hold the battery in the tray with a cross bar across the top.

Master ON-OFF switch on the rear panel, I wasn't concerned about street looks, and ran the cable through the pass sill trough, out the toeboard by the frame mount and over to the solenoid. Ground block to frame, body to frame and neg cable to roll bar rear bars. Should have ran a separate ground cable.

Also, NHRA requires either a sealed trunk or rear seat in place to keep battery acid in the trunk in case of explosion of battery.

If you have a mech reg alt, you should adjust for 13.5 volts at the battery to make up for the voltage loss through cable/connections. Or run your int reg alt 'sense' wire to the master off switch.

Master ON-OFF switch must do its job of killing the electrical system as required by NHRA. Tech Inspector can fail you if it doesn't. Dead engine, dead fuel pump, no sparks.

Some thoughts to think about.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode