Amp Removal - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 10, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Monty

Amp Removal

Hi, I recently aquired a 69 which has a 900w Powerzone Crunch amp mounted in the trunk. It looks like an electical nightmare and a possible fire hazard and I am considering having it removed. Also does not sound as good as the BBC roaring. Does anyone know what kind of power these things pull and would it be wise to get rid of it??(I was told it is on whenever stereo is on) Thanks for you opinions on this!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 10, 07:56 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Re: Amp Removal

Amplifier ratings can go from low to high and some can be actual ratings or rated when lightning strikes them. Some 900 watt rated amplifiers may draw 20 amps while others could draw 200 amps. It's an advertising thing sometimes.

I would look at the amplifier and see if there are any fuses in the chassis of the amplifier. Most newer amplifiers run the ATC plastic style fuses in them. You might have a single 20A, a 30A, twin, triple, or more multiples of particular sized fuses.

Most amplifiers will draw more power when the volume is turned up and they put out more signal to the speakers. Think of it just like a car. At idle, you are not sucking hardly any gas from the gas tank but at WOT, you need more fuel.

If you are worried about the system being safe I would see if there are fuses on the amplifier. If there is a 30A fuse on it, they should have run a 10 gauge or larger wire from the battery AND placed either a 30A or 40A fuse close to the battery inline on this power wire. A fuse on the amplifier only protects the amplifier and what's past it while the battery fuse protects the wire going back towards the amplifier. If there is not the proper sized fuse close to the battery then the wire is unprotected and if it would get pinched could cause an electrical fire.

If you cannot find fuses on the amplifier, see if there is one close to the battery, and if none are found I would disconnect the amplifiers feed wire, contact the manufacturer of the amplifier and see what they recommend.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 10, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Monty

Re: Amp Removal

Thanks for the reply, Jim. I checked it out and it does have the large fuse at the battery and at the amp. It appears to be professionally done, I guess I will leave it in place to listen to when I am waxing the car!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode