CS alternator help and voltage issues.. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 10, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

CS alternator help and voltage issues..

after my carbed LS1 swap my electrical system has never been the same. can someone read through my LS1tech post and see if you can give any insight?

at the moment im struggling to get my F body CS130d style alternator to charge correctly Without using a PCM since i am carbed... other voltage issues are disclosed within the thread.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conver...tage-drop.html

69 coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 10, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: CS alternator help and voltage issues..

You need good grounds. Copper is the better conductor than alum, good choice made there. Use engine block, not manifold.
Fuel pump feed wire should be min 14 AWG, 12 AWG is better, along with ground wire of same gauge.

You can sub in a 12SI alt, BAT for BAT, #1 gets ign switched 12v-gen light wire?, & #2 gets a sense wire - from junction block.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 10, 09:39 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

I have had it with the CS-130 type alternators.

Yes they are small, light and mount pretty well in the 1st gen chassis, but all you have to do is look at them cross and they blow. Also, you just can't "take 'em apart and fix 'em" like a DN or SI alternator. I gave my installation 2 tries, one with an off the shelf alternator and the other with an Iceburg, both were shot inside of a week. Heaven forbid if I actually had a high amp load with a 5,000w sub-woofer or $60K stereo system with lambo doors, just factory AC and PW.

I wasn't interested in trying again so I bought a 78 amp (or there abouts) 12-SI and haven't thought about it again.

In my opinion, the CS-130 alts are fragile, even with the Iceburg upgrades, I wouldn't recommend them for reliable everyday use.

The only thing the CS-130 alternator was good for was; I didn't have to do any other modifications to install the 12-SI except for changing out the alternator pigtail. My ignition hot wire (#1 pigtail wire) was already modified with the resistor (factory guages) and the BATT connection was routed to the battery via a fused link, even reused the SENSE wire (#2 pigtail wire) to the horn relay BUSS bar.

12-SI, strong like bear, smart like tractor. Very heavy duty, no problems.

Last edited by mahunt; Jun 14th, 10 at 10:01 AM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 10, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

only problem with the SI is it doesnt fit in the LS1 accessory drive bracket. the CS130d is really tiny and has the mount locations at 6 oclock and 2 oclock.

only other option i can think of is to buy an MSD aps alternator with a bracket kit since you can move the brackets around every 30* and have a really stout 1 wire alternator. down side is the cost... itll be about a $500 upgrade.

69 coupe
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 10, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

its all fixed and working now!

i ended up exchanging the alternator that was giving me a partial charge for a new one. I wired it up the same way with a light bulb in series to the L terminal *exciter* and i now get a constant 14V throughout the entire system!

battery yields 14.3
alternator lead 14.3
fuse panel 14.3

volt gauge displays 14V
lead to the volt gauge yields 14V

i also sanded the contact points on the alternator bracket they had a tiny bit of black paint on them. I wonder if it also helps that this alternator has a standard pulley on it now as opposed to the ASP overdrive unit i tried out.

also the alternator withstands high revs. i held the engine at 5000 rpm for a few seconds and it still held 14V.

the headlights still draw power though. looks like i will add relays and see if that helps any.

69 coupe
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 10, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Cool! Could have been the paint, giving as limited amount of current flow as in a high resistance.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 10, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i wonder if my wiper motor had anything to do with it? I unplugged one of the connectors to it before installing the new alternator. I remember when i first wired the car we had some weird electrical issues once the wiper motor was installed. i was told painless mis matched some of the wires in the harness so i "color coded" them to a picture a user posted on here. never did bother to see if i had the 12v source in the right spot.. musta been back in 2006 when i did that. lol.

any how. im leaving it unhooked until i can verify. when all was said and done i only had low speed on my wipers and i blew the fuse about 15 times. lol

69 coupe
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 10, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i think that alternator was short lived. i started the car the other day and barely got 13v on the gauge again =(

i was surfing the net for more CS130d info when i came across an alternator shop that is local to me!

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/

i called the guy and he told me my regulator was running wild with the way i had it wired with just the lamp in line to the L terminal. he told me i should run a wire from the S terminal to the post on the back of the alternator. this is the sense wire and will let my alternator know what the battery voltage is and when to regulate. he sells this pre made harness for this purpose. his has a diode wired inline so no idiot light is needed.

this harness is much like one for an SI alternator.

im going to give this a try with a fresh alternator and see if it works. if not im going to have him convert an F body alternator into a 1 wire self regulating style and call it quits.

this is my current set up with a small light bub wired in series to this terminal.

69 coupe
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 10, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

just stumbled across this in my painless chassis harness book...

what to believe?

69 coupe
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 10, 06:29 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

These are two different connectors for two different alternators.

Even amonst the CS-130 there are "L" alternators and "I" alternators and need to be wired as such.

Which one do you have?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 10, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have a PLIS style regulator with an internal fan.

Im yet to wire it up this way. I just yanked the trans out of the car, waiting on the rebuild.

69 coupe
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 10, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i had a local alternator shop install a self exciting regulator in my existing alternator. only cost $30. it works like a charm! 14.5 on the gauge at all times.

i also added some relays for my headlights and i have no voltage issues at all now.

69 coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode