My continuing headlight wiring issues, please help. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 10, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Trey Burks

My continuing headlight wiring issues, please help.

As of yesterday, all that I had was stop lights, no park lights. I had one headlight, and so I just plugged it in, and pulled the switch. Nothing, no tail light lights either. I pull out my assembly manual, and begin studying it. I was able to get the tail light lights to fire up with the switch. I also tested the switch and made sure it too was working. The tailight plug is old and wasnt making contact with both lights. I was able to make them make contact and work. Now they are working. So I went to the front, thinking this is going to be easy as well. 1 ground wire is all that I show. I grounded it to the battery for right now. Pulled the switch and no fire to the headlights. I tested the plugs. So I back tracked down the wire loom up front. I tested a red wire on both sides right below the plugs, and it is hot. It connects, to the plugs. What am I missing? I also tested the fuse box with the switch pulled, and it shows I am getting fire to the headlights. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Trey.

67 RS/SS loaded with options Granada gold AKA Christine
Im a Traditionalist when it comes to Muscle Cars
04 F150 4 door 5.4
If you are on Facebook join the group.restore that first gen camaro dont chop it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 10, 04:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

Re: My continuing headlight wiring issues, please help.

ground strap on the headlight switch?
(commonly left dangleing and associated with headlight problems.)
needs a good ground and connected properly to the switch or else youll have all sorts of lighting issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 10, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Trey Burks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg View Post
ground strap on the headlight switch?
(commonly left dangleing and associated with headlight problems.)
needs a good ground and connected properly to the switch or else youll have all sorts of lighting issues.
I will look at that, the tail lights do light up when it is pulled.

04 F150 4 door 5.4
If you are on Facebook join the group.restore that first gen camaro dont chop it up.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 10, 08:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Check the ground on both sides of the rad support (left and right) there should be a ground wire for each headlight. Make sure its clean and use star washer to ensure a good ground.

67 RSSS Van Nuys, 4th week Sept,1966
ps,tilt,headrest,spd warn,pw,am/fm,delux int,
remote mirror,rear defrost,tint glass.etc...
TKO 600 Extreme,12bolt 3:73 gears.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 03:15 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As said by others here, check the grounds. You can also measure voltage at the light socket from the rear, back probe it and check to ground.

If you have battery voltage on the ground wire referenced to neg battery post, ground wire is not making a good connection.

Also check the dimmer switch on the floorboard. it may be stuck in between the two positions.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 03:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I'm confused about the "1 ground wire" comment...? Do you have a good chassis ground connected to the battery? If you just connected a ground to the battery, and everything else is grounded through the chassis...you'll have problems for sure.

Jim
Hanging on the Maine Coast...moved back North

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.
Engine pics

Radiator pics

Build album

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 04:14 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Each headlamp has its own ground wire.
Just an FYI.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 09:48 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Don't forget to check the reverse ground for the highbeams switch. Trickiest part of troubleshooting any "headlights don't work" issue.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 10, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Trey Burks

The car had no wiring in it when we got it, minus the under the dash. My dad just bought a harness, and I have no clue what is there and what isnt. Some wires are cut and I have no clue, what they went to. My headlight sockets are there, and 1 ground. Hopefully saturday, I can start on it again. The car is getting the brakes worked on today, and I worked 14 hrs yesterday, and I am about to leave to go to work again. Does anyone have a wiring diagram that isnt confusing?

04 F150 4 door 5.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode