Street Fire HEI Distributor wiring question - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 10, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Street Fire HEI Distributor wiring question

Hey guys,

Can anyone help me with the battery and tach hook ups on a Street Fire HEI Distributor wiring? My battery and tach wires fell out, and I am having a hell of a time getting them back in.
Do they go in parallel or perpendicular to the 3 wire connector? I hope that makes sense. I just cant seem to get them seated, and cant find anything online!
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 10, 07:54 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: Street Fire HEI Distributor wiring question

If you're leaning over the driver's side fender looking at the connection post on the HEI, the plugs look like this:

< | | | > plug from module

...-- -- tach, batt
....v v

(ignore the dots, did that to get them to line up)

The plugs should have a clip on them that catches on a nub on the outside edge of the cover indicated by the "v". If not, they're not going to stay in very well.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 10, 08:11 PM
Senior Tech
Jeremiah

Yea, I bet your trying to plug them in like the main harness?

The Batt and Tach plugs face opposite of the main harness plug. I havnt had a problem with mine coming lose but I crimped the end before plugging them in for a tight fit/connection.

69 Z/28, red/white stripe, black houndstoot with docs.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 10, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
If you're leaning over the driver's side fender looking at the connection post on the HEI, the plugs look like this:

< | | | > plug from module

...-- -- tach, batt
....v v

(ignore the dots, did that to get them to line up)

The plugs should have a clip on them that catches on a nub on the outside edge of the cover indicated by the "v". If not, they're not going to stay in very well.
Great...thanks so much for the help! I was trying to just connect the with then end connectors, and they kept falling out!
So just go grab a housing clamp for the two, and they should be fine, right?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 10, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
Yea, I bet your trying to plug them in like the main harness?

The Batt and Tach plugs face opposite of the main harness plug. I havnt had a problem with mine coming lose but I crimped the end before plugging them in for a tight fit/connection.
LOL...yep. Exactly! I'm gonna go and grab a wire housing that they can fit into and clip onto the end of the dizzy so the wont fall out. Thanks for the help!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 10, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

OK...here's another question then...I have a pink wire coming out of the cloth housing that I am running to the battery terminal on the HEI...is this enough voltage to go to the HEI, or should I run a different wire to the HEI via my ignition slot on my fuse box?
Only problem is that I think its being used by something else...cant remember what...maybe my tach or radio? Not sure...will have to check.
Any suggestions?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 10, 08:43 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Yes, you need to make a fused 12-14 AWG pigtail to run from the IGN spade. If something is already there you can just make a "V" pigtail to put on the spade. Essentially the large BATT wire and smaller radio/tach wire together in one yellow female spade that plugs onto the IGN spade with a male spade on the end of each wire.

If you can't find the Packard clips or whatever they're called for the HEI terminals I've seen the BATT connectors for around $5 apiece. I think both plugs are physically the same so you can get two of them.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 10, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Yes, you need to make a fused 12-14 AWG pigtail to run from the IGN spade. If something is already there you can just make a "V" pigtail to put on the spade. Essentially the large BATT wire and smaller radio/tach wire together in one yellow female spade that plugs onto the IGN spade with a male spade on the end of each wire.

If you can't find the Packard clips or whatever they're called for the HEI terminals I've seen the BATT connectors for around $5 apiece. I think both plugs are physically the same so you can get two of them.
OK...thanks for the help...so I need a new wire to run to the HEI, right?, but can you explain the "pigtail" method? Not very good when it comes to wiring and electronics.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 10, 09:05 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

A pigtail is just a length of wire to connect two points. You need a female spade on one end and your BATT connector on the other. The parts store has little ATC blade fuse holders that work well and a 15A fuse would be good for the HEI feed. You could crimp the female spade on one end of the fuse holder and connect the outgoing wire to the HEI on the other.

If you need to land two wires on the IGN spade, what you do is get two short pieces of wire, no more than 2". Both can be 14AWG. Crimp a male spade connector on one end of each one. Then twist the other two ends together and crimp them in a female spade connector. Plug that on the IGN spade and you'll have two male spades coming off of it now. Use the fully insulated crimp on connectors so you don't have to tape them up. Also a little dielectric grease in each one protects them from corrosion and makes them easier to get apart.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

Last edited by Steiner; Jun 15th, 10 at 09:58 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 10, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
A pigtail is just a length of wire to connect two points. You need a female spade on one end and your BATT connector on the other. The parts store has little ATC blade fuse holders that work well and a 15A fuse would be good for the HEI feed. You could crimp the female spade on one end of the fuse holder and connect the outgoing wire to the HEI on the other.

If you need to land two wires on the IGN spade, what you do is get two short pieces of wire, no more than 2". Both can be 14AWG. Crimp a male spade connector on one end of each one. Then twist the other two ends together and crimp them in a female spade connector. Plug that on the IGN spade and you'll have two male spades coming off of it now.

Sweet! Thanks so much for the help on this! AND the picture...that really helps! You guys rock!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:

If you need to land two wires on the IGN spade, what you do is get two short pieces of wire, no more than 2". Both can be 14AWG. Crimp a male spade connector on one end of each one. Then twist the other two ends together and crimp them in a female spade connector. Plug that on the IGN spade and you'll have two male spades coming off of it now. Use the fully insulated crimp on connectors so you don't have to tape them up. Also a little dielectric grease in each one protects them from corrosion and makes them easier to get apart.

OK...I got some new 12 gauge wire, and a pigtail with 15A fuse...I hooked it up to the IGN fuse box by itself just to test it, then ran it to the BAT side of my HEI...I took off the top latch of my Streetfire HEI (http://apps.msdignition.com/2006/06-9.htm), and started the car...I definitely hear the HEI firing...but my car wont start!!!
I am totally baffled as to what is going on!
Any thoughts? I do have a post over in the engine forum about this, but thought it might be a wiring issue, so i'll ask you guys what you think.
I did test for 12V to the HEI, and I have it. I dont know what else to do.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks to everyone that helped...I just sprayed some carb cleaner into the carb, and she fired right up, but died right away, so its definitely something with the fuel or fule pump or fuel line.
Thanks for the help with the HEI!! I really appreciated it!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 05:56 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Do you have your initial timing advance set? If not, put the car in neutral, take the cap off and rotate the engine around until the rotor is coming to where your #1 post is. Watch the timing mark on your damper as it approaches the timing tab. Stop when the mark is at about the 14 degreed BTDC mark if you have a mid sized cam. Go to 16 with a big cam or closer to 10 for a stock sized cam. If you go to far and it gets close to 0 on the tab, either just rotate it around two turns again or you may be able to rotate it counter clockwise a little without the balancer bolt loosening.

Now, remove the rotor and look inside the HEI body. You should see eight triangles in a ring cast around the body pointing inward and another eight pointing outward on the shaft body. They will be almost lined up point to point. Loosen your distributor clamp and turn the distributor just a tad so that all of the triangles are lined up point to point, then tighten the clamp back down. That will have your initial timing set at around 14 degrees BTDC or whatever the timing mark on your balancer is lined up with on your timing tab.

Reinstall the rotor, cap, and wires then try it again.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode