Dear lord 2 new alternators toast. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 10, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Trey Burks

Dear lord 2 new alternators toast.

I had my mechanic wire up the alternator on my 67 camaro. It was a new style alternator. It didnt last two days and it stopped charging. So I took it back to him, and he swapped it out with a good used one he had laying around. It was charging, yesterday, when I picked it up. This afternoon, I jumped in it to put the hood on, and get it cleaned up for a cruise. I turned the key over, and it was dead. So at first I was thinking, this battery must be bad, because this is the 3rd time this week I have had to charge it. I swap my optima out, and it fires right up, but my alternator light is on again. I call my mechanic, and he says take the battery cable off with it running, I do that and it dies. Alternator is dead again. Something is not right. He connected the two hots together, and grounded the negative. The car still retains its original harness. Whats going on? I know it must be hooked up wrong. Can some one please point me in the right direction? Thanks Trey.

67 RS/SS loaded with options Granada gold AKA Christine
Im a Traditionalist when it comes to Muscle Cars
04 F150 4 door 5.4
If you are on Facebook join the group.restore that first gen camaro dont chop it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 10, 01:41 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Dear lord 2 new alternators toast.

Make sure the alternator is grounded well. You can take a volt meter and measure between the alternator shell and the negative battery post. You should see less than a few tenths of a volt. If you see higher voltage, the alternator bracket isn't grounding the shell to the block good enough.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 10, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Trey Burks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnult View Post
Make sure the alternator is grounded well. You can take a volt meter and measure between the alternator shell and the negative battery post. You should see less than a few tenths of a volt. If you see higher voltage, the alternator bracket isn't grounding the shell to the block good enough.
Does it sound like it is hooked up right? Its burning them up literally over night. I drove it a half a block home, and the second alternator was toast. He seems to think its the wire that cuts it on with the key.

04 F150 4 door 5.4
If you are on Facebook join the group.restore that first gen camaro dont chop it up.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 10, 02:15 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Something wrong in how its wired up me thinks
And that depends on what type of alternator.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 10, 02:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs down Re: Dear lord 2 new alternators toast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67goldrsss View Post
... He connected the two hots together, and grounded the negative ...
That most likely is the "something" that's not right
The aren't "two hots" on a GM alternator
Just one ...

And just what "ground" did he 'ground'

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 10, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Trey Burks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Something wrong in how its wired up me thinks
And that depends on what type of alternator.
Its a new style ribbed belt alternator. It has 3 wires. There is a red and black coming out of one end of the plug, and there is a nut another red wire hooked to that.

04 F150 4 door 5.4
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 10, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Trey Burks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post
That most likely is the "something" that's not right
The aren't "two hots" on a GM alternator
Just one ...

And just what "ground" did he 'ground'
So which one is needed? The one in the plug or the one that has a eye end and connected by a nut to the back of the alternator?

04 F150 4 door 5.4
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 10, 03:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

The 'black' (#1 terminal on the alt.) is not a ground
It's the field ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	SI Wiring diagram.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	16379

The 'common' "hot" connection is the junction block near your battery so the alternator remote senses the actual system voltage and regulates the output of the system to the correct voltage.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 10, 05:38 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67goldrsss View Post
So which one is needed? The one in the plug or the one that has a eye end and connected by a nut to the back of the alternator?

You need to find out if it's a one wire or a three wire alternator. It is typical to turn a three wire into a one wire by connecting the field wire to the lug on the back. A one wire alt still has the plug for this but the connection is inside the alternator. Connecting the field and lug pin on a one wire doesn't hurt anything but it doesn't do anything either.

What is most likely killing them is that the wire he is "grounding" is the output lead for a voltage gauge. The alternator grounds through the engine block or ground strap attached to the alt bracket.

Also, are you using a voltage regulator? I assume it has been removed if you're running a later model internally regulated alternator.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 10, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Trey Burks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post
The 'black' (#1 terminal on the alt.) is not a ground
It's the field ...

Attachment 16379
Thank you for the diagram. I am going to print this off.
The 'common' "hot" connection is the junction block near your battery so the alternator remote senses the actual system voltage and regulates the output of the system to the correct voltage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
You need to find out if it's a one wire or a three wire alternator. It is typical to turn a three wire into a one wire by connecting the field wire to the lug on the back. A one wire alt still has the plug for this but the connection is inside the alternator. Connecting the field and lug pin on a one wire doesn't hurt anything but it doesn't do anything either.

What is most likely killing them is that the wire he is "grounding" is the output lead for a voltage gauge. The alternator grounds through the engine block or ground strap attached to the alt bracket.

Also, are you using a voltage regulator? I assume it has been removed if you're running a later model internally regulated alternator.
It is a three wire alternator. I am positive. I am using the voltage regulator as well.

04 F150 4 door 5.4
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 10, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

If using an internal regulated alternator, 10SI or an 12SI, the external regulator comes out of the circuit.
Unplug the external reg and on the external plug you just unplugged, connect/jumper the two outside terminals to each other and jumper the two inside terminals of the ext reg plug.

At the alternator, the large ring terminal goes to the BAT stud, and you can buy an adapter to plug in the existing 10DN connector, looks like this 'll', to the internal reg alt, 10SI or 12SI looks like this '--'.

Now, with the new alt running, if it is working, the case should feel warm to the touch. If it is hot, some circuit elsewhere is drawing alot of power/current. With a temp gun, case temp should not be over 130F.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 10, 11:16 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

All I had to do with mine to set up was the main Batt red stays the same
The ign the same and a small jumper from the ign terminal to the feild...
Been like that for 25 yrs.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 10, 01:35 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

This is what I was told to do and my alternator works fine now

Click image for larger version

Name:	alternator_wiring_pic2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	16394

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode