No Brake Lights - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 10, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

No Brake Lights

I have read all through the electrical section here but can't seem to find my answer.

I keep reading about guys grounding the tail light sockets with additional wiring. Does anyone have a picture of how they accomplished this?

My signals and hazards and brake lights are all out of sorts and I suspect properly grounding them would be the best place to start

The Noob

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 10, 06:20 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: No Brake Lights

Ok where are they grounded at the moment?
Should be on the side of the trunk lock brace..a black wire.
Follow that wire back to the lights and check where they go into the light contacts...these tend to oxidise a bit...good idea to carefully remove, prise open, clean up, re tin and clamp/solder back in
(I still running orginal looms and bulb holders etc...except for the interor light)

Trouble shooting electricals, at min need a test light , volt/ohm meter.
look for voltge drops, resistance across grounds etc.

Do any of the bulbs show signs of silvering or blacking on the inside?

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 10, 02:08 PM
Senior Tech

68, I would verify at the column connector that the 12 volt "flash" signal is being sent out, particularly since you have identified strictly a flash related problem. If there is an issue with the ground as suggested, there will be no lights whatsoever. All flash related voltages run through the turn signal switch. The circuit includes the front signal, the dash signal indicator and the rear light. The circuit can be broken at any point but starts in the column.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 10, 04:39 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
If there is an issue with the ground as suggested, there will be no lights whatsoever.
As mentioned on many other posts, and from experiance, bad grounds can cause weird stuff to happen....yes a bad ground no connection, nothing works or the wrong thing will, a ground with restance can cause anything from a biyt of feedback to faint glowing bulbs to bright by drawing excess current, usually indiacted by silvering the inside of the bulds due to excessive heat of filtments.
It is usually easier to work back, from the ground, bulbs to the switch, battery etc.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 10, 07:01 AM
Senior Tech

68, as Steptoe says the ground may be an issue. But the front sig lights ground to the rad support, the dash indicators ground to the dash, and the rear lights ground to the rear panel. You need to determine if all lights on the same circuit display the same conditions. Each side has it's own circuit. If the park lights work front and back and the flash does not then it is not a ground issue (unless the ground wire from those particular sockets are not connected to ground but 6 wires having the same issue is unlikely). Do your 4 way hazards work? Does the flasher unit click like it should be working? Do you have the two flasher units in place? We need a bit more troubleshooting information.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 10, 08:51 AM
Senior Tech

Rich -

For my 68 that I got tired of having to constantly tweak the OE sockets in the taillamp housings to try and get a good ground through the housing, I went to the local autoparts store and bought four new sockets that each had a ground wire, and then added some black wire to tie all the socket grounds together, and then just drilled a hole in one of the tail pan braces. I did not take any pics, but unless someone looked under the taillamp housings and saw the extra wire from each socket, you could not tell the install wasn't OE.

Seeing exactly how someone else did it is not important; if you use the aftermarket sockets with a ground wire, you just lay it out and wrap the new wires in with the factory harness, and pick someplace that is sort of hidden to install your new ground screw.

You can basically accomplish the same thing by pinching a new ground wire between the OE socket and the housing, and then attaching the other end of the new ground to someplace as above. It doesn't work as well though.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 10, 01:52 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
I got tired of having to constantly tweak the OE sockets in the taillamp housings to try and get a good ground
So did I .. a few yrs back I puuled all the sockets, striped the contacts out, pulled the wiress, cleaned up, re clamped and soldered the wires back...and did the same to all the ground contacts...and used good quailty star washers...not those bloody chines cheap crap that tighen up and they flatten out....mine are stainless sourced from a local marine/ Evenrude agent... And dont reuse them.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 10, 11:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Hey 68, did you get your tail wiring figured out? I had the same question as you: how and where to ground all of them? The AIM makes it look like you ground each socket right by the socket, but I know that's not what is really done.

Unless, I'm misunderstanding, it looks like there are two answer here: (1) ground all to the trunk lock brace (Steptoe's advice), or (2) ground to tail pan brace (Eric's advice).

So, which did you go with? Guessing it may not matter though?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 10, 01:18 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
(1) ground all to the trunk lock brace
Thats the stock postion
Quote:
So, which did you go with? Guessing it may not matter though?
A ground is a ground...so long as it is connected back to the battery thru the body.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 10, 03:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Thats the stock postion

A ground is a ground...so long as it is connected back to the battery thru the body.
Gotcha... And so I can just solder all of the ground wires into one, right? I'm visualizing the way the brown "hot" wires from each socket are all spliced into one just before the connector.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 10, 05:26 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
And so I can just solder all of the ground wires into one, right?
yes ..from memory...in the loom, the right goes to about 1/2 way between the center and left side and joined with the left then heads back to the center...there should be a little hole on the right (?) side of the upright support in the center...and the ground has a small self tapping bolt to connect to the body...and make sure u have a star washer under to cut thru the paint...not a soft chinese one...hence why I use stainless stars on grounds.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 10, 09:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
and make sure u have a star washer under to cut thru the paint...not a soft chinese one...hence why I use stainless stars on grounds.
I've read your posts in re the good star washers. Duly noted! It never dawned on me that the point of them was to make contact through the paint. Thanks for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode