bad battery causing altternator failure? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 10, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

bad battery causing altternator failure?

67 camaro RS with original style 3 wire external regulator. new alternator.
first fired up the car it ran fine, voltage was 14+ , later after a few 10 minute runs, I noticed the alt. was very hot, and then only showed 12v on gauge, pulled batt + cable, car died. there was a 4 amp drain through alt to ground when wires were attached to alt. ( figured shorted diode) sent alt off to be repaired and put in a rebuilt unit. it worked fine for a little while, then did the same thing. so there is another problem...
I have checked EVERYTHING !! grounds are everywhere, reg is wired right, alt is wired right, no grounds present on any hot wires,
QUESTION !!
can a battery still start a car and be bad at the same time? like a shorted cell or something? the alt. got very hot like it was putting out crazy amps or something.
It was a new battery 2 years ago, but it never got used it just sat while I worked on the car..
I will get a ( hydrometer ? to check batter cells tomorrow, and still probably just try a new battery.
no wires got hot or anything, just the alternator..

anyone have a similar problem?

69RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 10, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: bad battery causing altternator failure?

A battery sitting and not used will sulphate - a condition where, lack of a better term, cancer develops, a corrosion growth between the plates, and the battery now has a shorted cell or two.

This condition will make the alternator put out full charge, overheat, and diode(s) open up. A check would be to insert between the red wire on the junction block and positive battery pigtail, an ammeter to see the amount of current going into the battery.

Harbour Freight sells a 50-0-50 ammeter for $5. Any amount over 20 amps after 10 minutes of running would indicate a shorted battery, I think.

A tesrt with the present battery would be to put load test onto it to see if it would hold up. Harbour Freight also sells a 0-100 load for $20. If battery does not not drop below 10 volts for 15 seconds is toast.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 10, 07:00 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Everett is all over it.

I've had two otherwise good side post batteries take out alternators. The positive post on both cracked out of the battery and corroded. All the extra resistance eventually took out the alternator even though both would start the car fine. So, yes it can happen.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 10, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

thats the answer I was looking for, it seemed the only conclusion left, but I have never had a battery do that... thanks , I can sleep now ...

69RS
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 10, 08:57 PM
Senior Tech
H

I had the SAME problem...went through everything you did! ... It was the battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode