Resistance of Voltage Regulator "Resistance Wire" - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 10, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Resistance of Voltage Regulator "Resistance Wire"

Does "resistance wire" actually have more resistance than ordinary automotive wire of the same gauge?

Is this a special "resistance wire" or is it a regular wire that is naturally high in resistance due to it's fine .56mm-sq / 24 gauge?

On my 69 dash loom rewire, I think I need to run the 24ga Brown/W resistance wire from the ignition switch to the headlamp loom's bulkhead connector. ..or do I?

If this is special resistance wire...
1. Where do I buy it?
2. What is the resistance per foot of 24 gauge resistance wire?
3. Do I actually need to install it? (Yes, I am using the external voltage regulator.)
4. Can someone explain this particular resistance wire's function to me please?

This wire is not to be confused with the coil's 20ga White resistance wire.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BlackoutSteve; Jul 24th, 10 at 02:56 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 10, 01:53 AM
Senior Tech
Antonio

Re: Resistance of "Resistance Wire"

Yes, resistance wire is in fact made of high resistivity materials, usually nichrome, an alloy of nickel and cromium. The resistivity of nichrome is some sixty times higher than copper. Other materials are also used.

See this URL for lots of info:

http://www.resistancewires.co.uk

No idea where you would buy that down under, but my guess would be an electronic supplies store.

As for the specifics of the Camaro wiring, again I can't you help you there, sorry.

Best regards from the other side of the world.

#1: 67 RS ragtop, Yellow, 230, 3 speed manual, manual everything, sold long ago, sorely missed
#2: 67 ragtop, White, 327/210/PG, 12 bolt posi, front discs, power all, tinted glass, metric dashb'd, tilt wheel, remote mirror, custom interior, clock
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 10, 02:59 AM
Senior Tech
Antonio

Hi, it's me again. Sorry to hijack your post, but I've been browsing the restomod post shown on your signature, and man, you got me gasping for air! The old lady came to see what I was doing, cheering and talking to myself.

Perhaps you got the disease from driving topsy turvy, or doing it on the wrong side of the road, but you have redefined crazy for me!!!

Whatever the cause, I send you my heartfelt congratulations, you are an inspiration!!!!!!!! May be with your fine example, I will now gather the courage to remove the radio from my 67 and fix it, once and for all.

PS: I'm joining the aussie forum right now, if only to follow your feats

#1: 67 RS ragtop, Yellow, 230, 3 speed manual, manual everything, sold long ago, sorely missed
#2: 67 ragtop, White, 327/210/PG, 12 bolt posi, front discs, power all, tinted glass, metric dashb'd, tilt wheel, remote mirror, custom interior, clock

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 10, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Thank you Antonio for both your reply to topic and your congratulations!
It's nice to know that to some, my "craziness" is an inspiration..

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 10, 10:52 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

I wasn't aware of any resistance wire (other than the coil wire, that drops about 5v +) on the '69.

What specific circuit are you talking about, from where to where, and I'll look up on the schematic.

1969 RS/SS Vert

1031 Engineering llc
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 10, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops View Post
i wasn't aware of any resistance wire (other than the coil wire, that drops about 5v +) on the '69.

What specific circuit are you talking about, from where to where, and i'll look up on the schematic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoutsteve View Post
..on my 69 dash loom rewire, i think i need to run the 24ga brown/w resistance wire from the ignition switch to the headlamp loom's bulkhead connector. ..or do i?
upc 12 d2-3

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 10, 07:00 PM
Senior Tech

Read the Primary Ignition section of this page http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/122.cfm

Some manufacturers used a resistor in line with the primary ignition feed line, and others (like GM) used a resistance wire. Resistance wire is like what is used in a toaster to toast bread, which is why the OE wire is covered with a cloth-like insulation sheath.

The OE resistance wire runs from the ignition switch to the postive side of the coil, and supplies 8-10 volts or so (vs a full 12 volts) with the key in the "run" position to the primary (positive) side of the coil. This is the setup for a points-style ignition, to provide longer life for the points. There is also a yellow wire that connects on the coil positive, and runs to the starter solenoid. When the key is turned to the "start" position, the fat purple wire on the switch sends 12 volts to the starter solenoid to engage the starter. The aforementioned yellow wire is also engergized at this time, providing a full 12 V to the coil for a stronger spark while in the "start" position.

So, whether you need resistance wire really has nothing to do with your voltage regulator, but instead depends on whether you are running an OE points type distributor.

I know you also said "This wire is not to be confused with the coil's 20ga White resistance wire", but the wire you're asking about connects to the wire feeding the coil; it is the inside part of that circuit.

All that being said, I don't really remember having a 24 gage brown/white reistance wire on my dash harness. Does your OE harness have that wire?

I guess I'm not real clear on what you're trying to do. Are you just trying to replace every wire in an OE dash harness with new wire?

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 10, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I think Steve is looking for the resistive wire from ign switch to voltage regulator.
Thirty-five ohms I believe.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 10, 07:13 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

Sorry mate, can't help you or answer your questions with no inputs

1969 RS/SS Vert

1031 Engineering llc
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 10, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops View Post
Sorry mate, can't help you or answer your questions with no inputs
Not sure what you mean..
UPC12 D2-3 shows the Brown 24ga resistance wire going from the ignition switch to the bulkhead connector.
I mentioned that in post #6.

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 10, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Kammerer View Post
I know you also said "This wire is not to be confused with the coil's 20ga White resistance wire", but the wire you're asking about connects to the wire feeding the coil; it is the inside part of that circuit.

All that being said, I don't really remember having a 24 gage brown/white reistance wire on my dash harness. Does your OE harness have that wire?

I guess I'm not real clear on what you're trying to do. Are you just trying to replace every wire in an OE dash harness with new wire?
Thanks Eric.. No, I am not doing anything with the resistance wire to the coil.. I have an electronic ignition with MSD. 6AL and fairly sure that I don't need it.

If you have a look at the schematic on UPC12 D2-3, you will see a 24ga Brown wire labelled as (resistance wire) that goes from the ignition switch to the headlamp's bulkhead connector.. I am wondering if I need to use the same reisitance wire here. ..or not.

Can I run a regular wire?
Can I leave it out of the loom altogether or,
Can I solder in a resistor of the right value if I can't get hold of actual resistance wire to achieve the same result?

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 10, 09:34 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

We're using different manuals. I have "Chevrolet Chassis Service Manual", and yes I see the 24g "Resis. Wire", however, it is not feeding the lights of any kind. When you are looking at the firewall bulkhead connector on the schematic, the opposing female side (engine side) is flipped 180 deg, it takes a measurement off the voltage regulator on the end terminal.

Now, I'm not 100% about the end result, but just by studying the schematic, it appears this "Resist Wire" is wired between the "Fuse block" and "Voltage Reg" to sample each, and when there is no charge V+ and that term goes low on the Volt Reg (the end or last terminal on the V regulator itself), the "Gen" light finds ground through the Voltage Reg. and lights.

Oh and do not use a regular wire. If the V reg stops working, the bulkhead side of the Resist wire goes low. The Switch side of the resist wire stays at 12v fuse block potential. Fuse will blow or the solid wire you install will burn. Best to leave it out if you don't really need a "Gen" light.

Summary: The "Resist Wire" is a funtional part of the "gen" light circuit.

1969 RS/SS Vert

1031 Engineering llc

Last edited by chops; Jul 24th, 10 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Added what will happen if regular wire is inserted.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 10, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
I think Steve is looking for the resistive wire from ign switch to voltage regulator.
Thirty-five ohms I believe.
I found this and am wondering if 15 ohms might be right. Do you remember where you learnt 35 ohms?

http://electricwiringdiagram.com/old...ng-diagram.htm

Also found this that speaks of the dash's resistance wire with regards to a conversion..

http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/cs-130.shtml

"Converting wiring systems that were made for the early externally regulated alternators. There are some very important details covered; such as supporting the factory warning light and disconnecting the resistance wire that was enclosed in the dash wire harness. GM Muscle Cars that came with externally regulated alternator systems had a dedicated resistance wire in the dash wire harness. (This resistance wire is entirely different than the resistance wire used for the ignition coil circuit.) This resistance wire was part of the circuit to the external voltage regulator, and this resistance wire is not calibrated for use with the CS series alternators."

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 10, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Also found this.. I think 10-15 ohms is correct.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...esensing.shtml

"When the system was first activated, a small amount of current flowed from the ignition switch to the voltage regulator through a 10 to 15 ohm resistance wire built into the dash harness. (And if the car had a warning light at the dash, the warning light was wired in parallel with the resistance wire.) This was our ignition switched ON/OFF and warning light circuit with the old externally regulated alternator system."

So.. if I can't find resistance wire.. I wonder if I can use regular wire with a 10-15 ohm resistor wired in..

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 10, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Steve, I don't remember where I picked up 35 ohms, dementia maybe.
But yes, 15 ohms is the correct value and it was designed in the circuit to keep charging in case the bulb burnt out.

You can use a length of regular teflon® coated wire and a resistor, or if you're good, or visit a TV repair shop and have them solder it across the bulb socket.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode